PDA

View Full Version : Wanted for Caterpillar 666 tractor

MARTYN WILLIAMS
08-07-2010, 05:28 AM
Hello all
My mate is looking for a front left hand side mud guard for his Cat 666,one that can be repaired or one in good to fair condition.
Thanks
Martyn

catsilver
08-07-2010, 09:00 AM
Hi Martin, You will have a job to find one of those in the UK, 666/660 up to 1970 used fibre glass font wings, hinged, so they could be pulled partway out over the front wheels for better engine access. I suppose a damaged one could be repaired with a glass fibre repair kit.
If that machine was used in the UK, where did it come from? I didn't think any had been imported.

Regards

Catsilver

7upuller
08-07-2010, 09:26 AM
Contact Al Engnes,

He has two semis full of 666 parts that he salvaged from work, his boss said to through them out. If I remember correctly he said they had over a dozen running back then. He helped me with a new steering cylinder and tie rod end for my 660. I just bought a scraper basket yesterday so now I can haul the scraper to local shows.:thumb: -glen http://www.youtube.com/user/7upuller#p/a/u/1/5rcmPY9gIyY

MARTYN WILLIAMS
08-07-2010, 09:45 AM
The machine was imported recently,If anyone has a contact email address for spare guards we would be most greatfull.
Thanks
Martyn

Old Magnet
08-07-2010, 11:05 AM
That would be a #5D7402 LH fender assy if you could find one.

MARTYN WILLIAMS
08-07-2010, 01:11 PM
Not sure if we have a part number but will find out.
Thanks
Martyn

Gavin84w
08-07-2010, 08:46 PM
99.9% sure you will have to source it from the US Martyn. Downunder is the only other country overseas i know of the big 650/660/666 machines every went to for work, happy to be proven wrong though.

catsilver
08-08-2010, 05:14 AM
I worked with a fleet of 72 x 660 tractors but it was not in the USA or Australia, the place is in the news at the moment, where is it?

bruce oz
08-08-2010, 05:34 AM
hello catsilver,using 72 x 660 tractors i could be Russia ? ,be good to see them lined up :thumb:,bruce oz

catsilver
08-08-2010, 08:05 AM
No, but its the same continent, yes it was a sight to see them lined up with 50 x Terex R70's on the other side of the park, I will have to get my old photos out but keep guessing.

Art From De Leon
08-08-2010, 10:50 AM
Pakistan, building the dams on the Indus?

Gavin84w
08-09-2010, 01:24 AM
Looking forward to those pics, Canada had big fleets on the Peace river dam job i believe and Mangla dam in Pakistan had big fleets of TSS-40 Euclid scrapers but he did say 666 tractors so possibly with Athey belly dumps?

catsilver
08-09-2010, 01:21 PM
It was Tarbela, high up on the Indus, Mangla is on the Jhelum river further south east. I will post a few pics but please be patient, I'm not very good at re-sizing.
these were 660 and 660B tractors with Cat's own bottom dump wagons, mostly built in kit form by Mitsubishi and assembled on site.

shovel man
08-09-2010, 01:51 PM
Martyn.

How far did your mate road the 666?
it must have frightened the s**t out of some of those car drivers!

Shovel man.

MARTYN WILLIAMS
08-09-2010, 03:25 PM
Its about a 10 mile round trip.
Martyn

Gavin84w
08-09-2010, 06:15 PM
It was Tarbela, high up on the Indus, Mangla is on the Jhelum river further south east. I will post a few pics but please be patient, I'm not very good at re-sizing.
these were 660 and 660B tractors with Cat's own bottom dump wagons, mostly built in kit form by Mitsubishi and assembled on site.Very much looking forward to seeing these Catsilver, if you need a hand with the resizing drop me a PM

catsilver
08-10-2010, 02:31 PM
Here goes with some pics.

MARTYN WILLIAMS
08-10-2010, 05:00 PM
Hello Catsilver
Hope you are keeping well.There must be someone out there that knows about a mud guard for a 666 lol.Tried a few people,no luck yet.Tried all the websites that matter ACMOC, CMN,Redpower etc.still no joy.There must be one across the pond.
Regards
Martyn

Mike Walsh
08-10-2010, 05:18 PM
Recat shows they are parting one out.

http://www.recat.com/dismantledinventory.asp

catsilver
08-11-2010, 06:29 AM
Hi Martyn,

I'm keeping very well thanks, trust you are as well, I'm now 'retired' from Caterpillar machinery, seems that after training me for 45 years plus, my position was redundant and I had to apply for a 'new' job. I now drive around in a BMW instead of a Mondeo. Within three days of finishing another company phoned me and offered a job, so I'm still involved with selling and troubleshooting engines at 61!
I will post some of my better Tarbela pics when I can, I'm sure plenty will find them interesting. Are we likely to see the 666/660 tractor at any shows?, i would like to renew my aquintance with one again.
Best Regards.

MARTYN WILLIAMS
08-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Hello Catsilver
I guess it will be taken to local shows in the next few years.
Thanks for the info Mike,I have past it on to Karl,hopefully he will be successfull
Regards
Martyn

catsilver
09-24-2010, 03:16 PM
These are a couple of pictures I have from Tarbela although these particular ones were taken by my boss, I will scan some more of my own sometime..

catsilver
09-25-2010, 03:38 PM
Some more pictures of the machinery at Tarbela, a long time ago now but quite an adventure for a 20 year old service engineer as I was at the time.
The second pic is along the centre line of the main dam, east to west after a rain storm, some of those small machines are 660 bottom dumpers.
First pic is the main workshop and stores area.
Third pic is 660 s being loaded by a 191 Marion, also an 834 dozer clearing up.
Fourth pic is 660 wagons working under the fill material hoppers in the botom of the River Indus diversion channel.

d4c24a
09-26-2010, 12:43 AM
great pictures catsilver , that must have been a sight for a 20 year old to see for the first time :jaw: and still would be for a 41 year old :lol::thumb:
cheers graham

Gavin84w
09-26-2010, 05:45 AM
Thanks very much for posting these Catsilver, golden era for big dirt work and would have hooked you for life like the yellow iron and dirt has for so many at a young age. I only ever knew of Mangla being the big dam untill your post and it is amazing the scale of this job, the Cat dealer must have been in heaven with the product support $$ on that job. Can you share some in depth experiences on this project as i assume you were intimately involved with the Cat kit there.

catsilver
09-26-2010, 03:42 PM
Hi Gavin, Bowmaker (Plant) Ltd were the Cat dealer for all the Indus Basin Projects, I started an apprenticeship with them in 1964 and finished earlier this year, although it has been Finning since 1984. My Caterpillar enthusiasm goes back to even earlier days but the best times were the heavy muckshifting days of the 1970's . I will post some more pics later and more detail of what Bowmaker were involved in when the legendary 'Stokey' was still involved as Chairman.

Bumpus
09-27-2010, 11:51 AM
A Little Bit Of Cat 666 History:

Notice in the picture that there are two dozers pushing but only one operator running them both pushing the 666 ...
with a posible 54 cubic-yard-heaped bowl,

http://www.contrafedpublishing.co.nz/Historical/Classic+Motorscrapers/The+Caterpillar+666.html

http://www.dhsdiecast.com/shop/product_detail.cfm?product_id=7957

catsilver
09-27-2010, 01:06 PM
That's because there is no operator on the second machine, its a dual DD9G with the two machines joined by an enormous ball joint and the second one controlled through air servo controls operated from the front machine.
The 660 bottom dumps at Tarbela were grossing over 160 tons and reaching the full 42 mph at times, frightening with only four wheel dry single leading shoe brakes and operators who could not get their head round correct use of the flywheel retarders. Even more frightening when you realise that those mighty back wheels are almost 2 metres wider than the tractor, even more to the driver of a Fiat eighteen wheeler as a 660 ovetook him on the haul road and the back wheels shaved off his door mirror!

Gavin84w
09-28-2010, 03:28 AM
Hmmm, 660 with belly dump would make a nice 1/48 scale model !!

It is amazing to think of the contribution the yellow iron and man has made to the face of the earth, if we want to grow we need more of these projects but the do gooders will have a fair say in that, what a shame.

catsilver
10-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Just a few more pics from my collection, some I actually took myself.
Number 1, The scraper team decided to stop when they realised the front end was sitting on top of a rock !
Number 2, cleaning out a ditch at the back of the site to help stop the workshop getting flooded during monsoon.
Number 3, The scrapers clearing away 'unsuitable' material before clay fill is started at the dam base.(my boss took this one)
Number 4. A 651 scraper unloading at the 'tip' area.
Number 5, A 651 operator at work, all operators were locallly trained, many already trained at Mangla Dam.

There were 12 x 651 scrapers on site with a team of 6 x D9G pushers with only push blocks back and front, normally two pushers were used to load, sometimes three for speed in sand or for digging heavy clay, if you saw four pushers, problems were coming. It meant they were trying to push a lame 651 out of the way, a broken lift ram hose would mean digging round it to get moving after repairs, a broken apron pin would mean a team of labourers to dig the load out so we could carry our repairs. More than once we found ourselves repairing a scraper on top of a small hill because the others had continued to work around it!

Gavin84w
10-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Not tiring of your pics any time soon Catsilver, thanks for keeping them coming.

The mind still boggles at the scale of these projects from a mechanical perspective, training, number of fitters, spare parts on site, logistics, tyres, GET, OEM/dealer support/involvement and on it goes, certainly must have been on a scale beyond comprehension at the onset but as usual man and machine gets it done and would have you swell with pride to have been a part of it.

Nearly (unfortunately) safe to say the era of big developments like this around the world has passed us by.

Bumpus
10-24-2010, 10:55 AM
Both Caterpillar 666 Scraper 1/48 CCM 1 "McCoy" & 1 Std

http://cgi.ebay.com/Both-Caterpillar-666-Scraper-1-48-CCM-1-McCoy-1-Std-/200534272859?pt=Diecast_Vehicles&hash=item2eb0c62b5b