PDA

View Full Version : How old does an old Cat have to be to be an Antique?

Dandy Dave
08-15-2010, 07:45 AM
With Fine antiques it is 100 years, With Automobiles it is 25,....

The rule of thumb on Farm tractors is most are replaced evey ten years. I think Construction Equipment is about the same average life span. What is left are survivors. Some survive for many years, some are scrap in a few.

How about the old cats that we collect. How old to be considered an Antique?

KCB
08-15-2010, 08:01 AM
The ACMOC "rule of thumb" is 40 years and older.

Casey Root
08-16-2010, 01:12 PM
40 Years??? That makes my nice modern D6C 74A/76A an antique!!!:jaw: It also puts the D7E 48A/47A in that category along with most of the D8H's, 46A/36A. All of these in my mind are still viable, productive unites. I guess I'd better wrap my mind around the fact that maybe I'm an antique myself.

Casey

D4C Charlie
08-16-2010, 01:59 PM
Yea I think of those tractors as modern viable units too. I guess I am antique too.

64farmboy
08-16-2010, 02:42 PM
Yea I think of those tractors as modern viable units too. I guess I am antique too.

Antique?, When my D2 was born in 1953 I was plowing the lower river bottom with my Dads Farmall H and 2 bottom trip plows. A big deal for an 8 year old kid.

:smokin:

cojhl2
08-17-2010, 08:15 AM
Antique?, When my D2 was born in 1953 I was plowing the lower river bottom with my Dads Farmall H and 2 bottom trip plows. A big deal for an 8 year old kid.

:smokin:

Farm kids were always way ahead of others in being responsible. The other day a friend from IA was visiting and I showed him a pic of my 9U of which I am very proud.

Since he only knew me during my IBM career he was surprised I knew how to start it!! I told him that I had been starting these tractors since I was 8 yrs old!

Lots of Caterpillar and International in SE WA.

Ah yes, and the trip plows! 3cyl=5bottom, 6cyl=6bottom

Those were good days!!!!!! I miss em..

rch101
08-17-2010, 08:49 AM
I've considered the time break as when CAT went from oval tracks to high sproket and Graders went to all Hyd. I ran a new CAT 14 all Hyd Blade in 1974 and my first 90V then also.

The last Dozer I ran on a day in day out basis was a 46A pushing scrapers it was a 1968 model. Just before that in 1975/76, I was running a brand new 90V, D-9H in Alaska pushing scrapers. The 90V was the last of the oval track D-9's I believe, except for maybe special applications tractors.

We have a few contractors here in SE Wisconsin with 90V's but they are mostly back-up machines now. Even though they're in outstanding condition. I've noticed that most contractors in Wisconsin keep their equipment in much better condition than all of the other places I lived and worked. I gotta say that I ran some real junkers over the years just to keep beans on the table. Nothing I wanted my pic taken on.

Hard to believe the D-10 is over 30 years old in production...

64farmboy
08-17-2010, 12:07 PM
Farm kids were always way ahead of others in being responsible. The other day a friend from IA was visiting and I showed him a pic of my 9U of which I am very proud.

Since he only knew me during my IBM career he was surprised I knew how to start it!! I told him that I had been starting these tractors since I was 8 yrs old!

Lots of Caterpillar and International in SE WA.

Ah yes, and the trip plows! 3cyl=5bottom, 6cyl=6bottom

Those were good days!!!!!! I miss em..
In highschool all the townies wanted to go to the boys club and lift weights, they couldn't understand why I didn't want to go until I had them down to the farm and showed them the 15 K square bales we put away, no kickers just my dad, myself and a foster boy who lived with us:lol: Used the Farmall H, a NH 66 baler with a pony motor and a wagon we bought from the Sears farm store. I, like you, spent 42 years in corporate with Honeywell and most of the Guys I worked with never could comprehended the amount of skills and knowledge you pick up as a farm boy.
Good times absolutely:thumb: I miss the simplier times, you learned the value of a dollar and what it meant to put in a hard days work. the swimming in the creek at days end with all the neighborhood kids.