PDA

View Full Version : D2 5J pony motor governor issues

sr4440
06-22-2011, 09:29 PM
Hi,
I have a D2, S# 5J4067SP orchard. Finally got my magneto and carb issues worked out.
The pony motor would only run at full speed no matter the throttle setting. Pulled the governor off yesterday. Totally dry and the weights were frozen in place. Got everything cleaned up and back in place.
When the pony runs now it is much slower. When you kick in the compression release the pony seems to surge, high and low speed and it is much harder to start the main engine.
I would think that it should be much higher RPM when the compression release is kicked in.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Scott

hiwide15
06-22-2011, 10:01 PM
First take the gov that you cleaned up and make sure it works with no linkage hooked up to it. I just did mine on the 9U D6. I hold the gov pulley up to the wire wheel on the grinder and make sure the arm is forced to the idle pos when there is no spring attached. Once this works properly then in stall on the engine and proceed to put it back together making sure there is no binding any where with the arm or rods and on the carb shaft. then set spring at half of adj travel and adj linkage so that the length is just long enough to hold carb in wide open pos. Start pony and adj speed by turning ady nut on spring screw. Once this is set the gov should carry same speed under load or not.

cojhl2
06-22-2011, 11:24 PM
Hi,
I have a D2, S# 5J4067SP orchard. Finally got my magneto and carb issues worked out.
The pony motor would only run at full speed no matter the throttle setting. Pulled the governor off yesterday. Totally dry and the weights were frozen in place. Got everything cleaned up and back in place.
When the pony runs now it is much slower. When you kick in the compression release the pony seems to surge, high and low speed and it is much harder to start the main engine.
I would think that it should be much higher RPM when the compression release is kicked in.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Scott

Something funny here because the way the linkage is set up when you pull the throttle rod out it has to shut down the throttle plate.The governor is on the other side of the stop.

edb
06-23-2011, 12:08 AM
Hi Team,
the pony should run at 3,000 RPM at Full Loaded Speed. At this speed it should turn the main at about 335 RPM.
On the later machines the Throttle control is pulled out to slow the pony towards Low Idle, and pushed in to allow the governor to control the High Idle speed. I have seen the throttle rod plate on the wrong side of the carby shaft lever pin before too.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Eddie B.