PDA

View Full Version : Videos of Brooks, OR, parade

Peter C
08-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Here are links to some videos that I posted today of crawlers in motion at Brooks:

tractor pull: http://youtu.be/Po9may_oFl0

DD9H: http://youtu.be/LOo26HGshVE

Parade: http://youtu.be/5oA0iaPzs3k

Parade: http://youtu.be/2x8DZA63fHo

B4D2
08-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Thanks Peter. Nice work.

64farmboy
08-10-2011, 06:15 AM
Peter, great pictures! not as good as being there for sure but I could almost smell the diesel
Thanks for sharing
Dennie

Member2103
08-10-2011, 05:36 PM
Is there anymore videos, pictures or information about the DD9 ? M

Peter C
08-10-2011, 07:13 PM
I talking was about it to a fellow that had been a Cat salesman or rep. I believe that he said there were 81 of them made and sent all over the world.

Here are a couple of pictures that I took last year:

23849 23848

ronm
08-10-2011, 08:37 PM
Nothin grabs a feller's attention like a set of Double D's!!!:jaw:

yellow or Green...(first video)

edb
08-10-2011, 10:13 PM
Hi Team,
by the vid. it would seem there could be an issue with crossed steering lines to the rear machine. The front unit is trying to turn left and the rear unit is trying to go to the right, or is this how they are meant to be set up for large radius turns and, this is what happens in short radius turns?
These machines were announced in Product Bulletin, Oct 18 1968, just happens this one is not in my bound copy of the years 1968/9.
Cheers,
Eddie B.

Peter C
08-11-2011, 10:11 AM
Thanks for jogging my memory Eddie B. I overheard the Cat rep explain to someone that the rear D9 is supposed to just "release" the steering clutch in the direction of turn and follow. At least that is what I thought he explained. It certainly doesn't look like that was happening though.

Pete

edb
08-11-2011, 07:50 PM
Hi Pete,
sorry, I forgot to Thank You for posting the above vids etc.
Yes, it makes sense for A track on the rear machine to release the steer clutch only as the rear machine can then follow the radius of swing of the hitch, which will be opposite of the way you are turning the front unit for the initial start of the turn.
Cheers,
Eddie B.

Deas Plant.
08-13-2011, 11:28 PM
Hi, Folks.
I could be wrong - it has been known to happen before - but I think that most of what you are seeing there is simply that the rear tractor was not being given enough loud pedal. At one point, there is a glimpse of the far track on the rear tractor which was on the inside of the turn actually rolling while the outside track was being dragged and there is almost no smoke coming from the stack of the rear tractor while the front tractor is belching big mobs of that politically IN-correct but nevertheless LOVELY black stuff.

Steering could have been complicated on those jiggers 'cos there would have been times when you needed both tracks on the same side to have power, i.e. during a turn, and other times when you would have needed diagonally opposite tracks to have power, i.e. entering or exiting a turn - - - or just drag the back tractor with the front one as it appears in that video.

Hi, EDB.
There wuz ackshully at least wunna them jiggers may dit DowNunder. Bell Bros, W.A., had a set of DD9G's down at Pinjarra on a mudlake contract for the alumina smelter there. That would have been around 1969-70 if I remember kee-reckt-ly. I got to see them pretty much fully rigged in Wigmore's yard at Guildford, pre-delivery.

Bell's also had 2 x Hough D500s down there. Traitors!

Hi, PeterC.
Thanks for posting that video. Good stuff.

Gavin84w
08-14-2011, 05:31 AM
The steering is correct as you see it and the issue is as Deas explains. What works for a single dozer needs to be opposite on the rear machine when they are connected as a pair.

Think if the throttle was gunned on the rear machine driving the left track and the front machine driving the right track with throttle applied and she articulates at the join to make a left turn.

From memory the steering has 6 possible combinations with the control lever but i could be wrong. Classic machine and how good do those D353,s sound.

edb
08-15-2011, 01:32 AM
Hi Deas and Gavin,
thanks for the descriptions you both have given.
I did initially see that the rain flap on the rear unit was almost down. I can see what you are saying no problem as rear unit needs to follow the outward movement at the start of the forward units turn. With the rear unit at idle this cannot correctly occur as the drive is too slow for the rear unit to react to the signals from the front unit.
Somewhere I have the PB of the announcement and operation descriptions, but I have been too busy with family matters to chase it down as yet.
Thanks again for responding.
Cheers,
Eddie B.

L364
08-15-2011, 07:29 AM
Hello

This may be of interest

CATERPILLAR Service Reporter Issue Four 1965

Regards Gary
PS Sorry if it not in right order.
All the best to you EB

edb
08-15-2011, 06:03 PM
Hi L364,
thanks for posting up the Serv.Rep. article.
I saw my copy of this only a short while back--you know how it is when looking for something else, it catches your eye, and you say to your self "I must come back and re-read that" and never do, or the old "I must remember where that is for future referance"
Hope things have been going OK for you.
Cheers,
Eddie B.