PDA

View Full Version : D2 Capabilities

white halftrack
10-19-2012, 10:37 AM
Hello again. Last thread I will post until I pick it up. I am picking up a D2 that appears to be in decent shape. It has a pto, rear hydraulic outlets and am told that the front pump is a #41. Presuming everything works great, what can I do with this animal? I live on an acreage and will eventually have more land. I have many tractors, mainly Ford and a Massey, so have a lot of three point stuff. Everything I own has to earn its pay, so would like to know what other people are using their cats for in my D2's configuration. Is it possible to add a front blade to it? Many times my massey with a loader is just a tad small for a heavy snow with old snow piles around. What attachments could I get that would help me make it useful?

Again, I know I have posted three thread in 24 hours and I promise I will stop until I pick it up.

Jason

BullDozerBob
10-19-2012, 02:13 PM
That D2 with a blade will move mountains of snow(frozen piles too)and hardly grunt. I have a D4 and a D6 both with blades and 16 acres of trees with a 1/2 mile of private road off the county road. You will get creative finding uses for that Cat.
Have fun--Be Safe.
BullDozerBob

8C 361
10-19-2012, 04:13 PM
You will need pull type equipment. A disc would be good you have a PTO so you could run a bush hog.
Definately look for a blade. You have hydraulics so you are half way there.

ccjersey
10-19-2012, 07:17 PM
An on-land moldboard plow or chisel plow would be a great find if you might ever do much tillage. Any other pull type equipment that's not too wide would be an asset. Unfortunately most stuff that is the size for the D2 is going to be in fairly high demand by other small acreage farmers.

One thing you might consider is to make or find a pull type 3pt cart to mount any 3 pt equipment and pull with the D2. There have been several people build a 3 pt hookup for the D2 and D4 tractors, and CAT even had a mechanical (not hydraulic) lift mechanism for them, but I don't know how practical they were, and have never seen one or a picture of one other than in the parts book for the J series D2 (earlier model than yours)

Might also find some desirable implements for the tractor while you're there picking it up. After all, he pulled something with it back in the day. It may still be there in the shed.

Very important!.............................While you are there, ask if there is a track roller lube pump and any other wrenches etc that go with the tractor. This is a large can maybe holds 5 gallons of special track roller grease with a pump handle and a long hose with coupler for the button head fittings on the track rollers and front idlers. Possible these have been replaced with lubed for life rollers with plugs installed instead of grease fittings, but unlikely if the history on the machine is accurate. The lube pump can cost a pretty penny if you have to purchase one new and you seldom find one cheap on places like ebay etc. I think a new Alemite pump would be at least several hundred dollars these days. Purchased just the coupler for button head fittings the other day at the local NAPA and it was $40 without the pressure relief that was in the ones that came with the tractors.

Make sure you can tie down properly. Don't want the DOT to make your good deal not such a good deal on the way home. Best plan is 4 chains rated for binding down. 2 running diagonally at front and 2 at rear. A single long chain will work at front and back, but need 2 binders so each side is separately tensioned and won't loosen off if the opposite side were to come loose.

I had gone no more than a mile on the highway after picking up one of my D2's before I met a DOT officer who whipped around after I passed and followed me for a half mile to check out the load before he went on his way once more. Sure was glad everthing was up to snuff!

Sasquatch
10-19-2012, 09:55 PM
I use my little 5U for lots of odd jobs, usually never anything huge but it sure is handy, and easy to haul around from place to place.

Video of pulling a small tandem disc after plowing, running in 3rd gear with no trouble. It could definitely handle a bigger one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUyegPdtqlM&list=UUv_zjUQJ98JgBHcch2PP7Vw&index=10&feature=plcp

Works good for cutting stump roots to make removal easier and then filling the hole back in.

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy310/TRNelson/RD6/010.jpg

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy310/TRNelson/RD6/016.jpg

Pulling smaller stumps.

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy310/TRNelson/Cat%20D2/025.jpg

Did some drainage work on the field and found some topsoil contaminated with metal debris from an old farmstead, so I dozed out a trench and pushed the contaminated dirt into it where it was spread to end up below tillage depth, then buried with clean material. Plus I took these in black and white because, well, it just looks epic.:thumb:

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy310/TRNelson/summer%202012/008-1.jpg

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy310/TRNelson/summer%202012/004-1.jpg

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy310/TRNelson/summer%202012/007.jpg

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy310/TRNelson/summer%202012/012.jpg

white halftrack
10-20-2012, 01:09 AM
Very important!.............................While you are there, ask if there is a track roller lube pump and any other wrenches etc that go with the tractor. This is a large can maybe holds 5 gallons of special track roller grease with a pump handle and a long hose with coupler for the button head fittings on the track rollers and front idlers. Possible these have been replaced with lubed for life rollers with plugs installed instead of grease fittings, but unlikely if the history on the machine is accurate. The lube pump can cost a pretty penny if you have to purchase one new and you seldom find one cheap on places like ebay etc. I think a new Alemite pump would be at least several hundred dollars these days. Purchased just the coupler for button head fittings the other day at the local NAPA and it was $40 without the pressure relief that was in the ones that came with the tractors.
[/QUOTE]

Interesting you bring that up. Right beside it on a shelf he mentioned that the grease gun is there for it. I looked like a 5 gallon oval bucket that tapered smaller toward the bottom and had a pump on the top. It was yellow. Right beside it was a yellow pto shield that I am certain goes to it, but I could be wrong. The tool box was full of some odd looking wrenches, one of which was a huge open ended wrench with a straight handle nothing on the other side, but rounded. I do not know what was originally in the tool kit, but at least some of it is there.

You guys have given some great advice and I really appreciate it. I really am looking forward to dragging this out and messing with it. No hurry and will take my time. I will post pictures of the extraction and I am certain I will have more questions.
Jason

bruce oz
10-20-2012, 01:29 AM
It's not how small it is but how much time you have to do the work.heap of ? are ok .post sway .Bruce oz

Ray54
10-20-2012, 11:17 AM
There has been a good thread about the tools that came with the tractors from the factory with lots of pictures.Sorry I am not computer savvy to give you a link.Great to seeing you saving a nice machine.Good luck with getting it running.
Ray

Gregness
10-20-2012, 12:35 PM
[QUOTE=Toby Nelson;99126]I use my little 5U for lots of odd jobs, usually never anything huge but it sure is handy, and easy to haul around from place to place.

Video of pulling a small tandem disc after plowing, running in 3rd gear with no trouble. It could definitely handle a bigger one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUyegPdtqlM&list=UUv_zjUQJ98JgBHcch2PP7Vw&index=10&feature=plcp

Works good for cutting stump roots to make removal easier and then filling the hole back in.

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy310/TRNelson/RD6/010.jpg

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy310/TRNelson/RD6/016.jpg

Pulling smaller stumps.

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy310/TRNelson/Cat%20D2/025.jpg

Did some drainage work on the field and found some topsoil contaminated with metal debris from an old farmstead, so I dozed out a trench and pushed the contaminated dirt into it where it was spread to end up below tillage depth, then buried with clean material. Plus I took these in black and white because, well, it just looks epic.:thumb:

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy310/TRNelson/summer%202012/008-1.jpg

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy310/TRNelson/summer%202012/004-1.jpg

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy310/TRNelson/summer%202012/007.jpg

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy310/TRNelson/summer%202012/012.jpg[/QUOTE

Damn that is a fine looking D2! I hope I can get my 4U up to that spec...

chriscokid
10-20-2012, 01:43 PM
Toby,
I really like the black and white pics, They do look epic!
Maybe next time you can get one of you operating the D2 in black and white then both of you would look old.....LOL

Kelly
10-20-2012, 03:57 PM
The tool box was full of some odd looking wrenches, one of which was a huge open ended wrench with a straight handle nothing on the other side, but rounded. I do not know what was originally in the tool kit, but at least some of it is there.

Here is a photo of the tools that come with the tractor back in the day. The large end wrench you mentioned is no doubt the track wrench, for adjusting the tracks.
Kelly

Sasquatch
10-20-2012, 08:41 PM
Toby,
I really like the black and white pics, They do look epic!
Maybe next time you can get one of you operating the D2 in black and white then both of you would look old.....LOL

Thanks, for some reason the lack of color actually puts more detail into the picture, in my mind anyway. I rarely ever end up in any of the shots because I'm usually always out working alone and can't find anybody to volunteer to be the camera operator.:photo:

Deas Plant.
10-20-2012, 09:36 PM
Hi, White Halftrack.
The handiness of your D2 is mostly limited by your own imagination and resourcefulness. In its current configuration, it would be suitable for drawbar work with a fairly wide range of implements, some of which may utilize the remote hydraulic outlets on the rear of the tractor. As already mentioned, it would handle a reasonable-sized trailing PTO-driven bush hog but one thing does surprise me a bit. Unless I am finally needing glasses, NOT ONE of the previous posters mentioned tool bar attachments for the little jigger.

Working with a tool bar was one of the most common configurations for D2's. Cat made their own tool bars for them and there were several after-market manufacturers as well. One of the beauties of tool bars is that they place the load direct onto the track frames instead of transmitting it through the drawbar and main body of the machine. Wotz moor, if you have a swing-around tool bar, you can be 1/2-way to having a dozer 'cos that was one of more common attachments for tool bars.

Another configuration that I have seen a couple of times, is to have two sets of tool bar trunnions on the track frames and two tool bars more or less permanently mounted, one for front-mounted attachments, i.e., a dozer, and one for rear-mounted attachments such as cultivators and sub-soilers. Two sets of rams with a diverter valve takes care of controlling each end or, if you had dual circuits which I don't think you do with the #41 control, two separate control levers. This configuration also has the advantage of helping to balance the tractor when using the dozer.

Having said the above, it is probably also worth mentioning that there were larger diameter front idlers made specifically for D2 and D4 crawlers fitted with a dozer to give more stability when working with the dozer. The larger front idlers do require an extra link in the track chain but they also make the machine much easier to control when dozing.

There are many jobs that are out of a D2's league such as heavy clearing or ripping rock. How-wevver, as Bruce Oz said, if you have the time, you can do quite big jobs with a D2 by simply keeping at it, so long as the conditions are not too tough for it.

Look after it and will likely serve you very well. Beat it to death in peril of your 'accountant's wrath.

Just my 0.02.

old-iron-habit
10-21-2012, 08:29 AM
Toby, Give me a shout when you want to shoot something. I will be happy to help out.

dpendzic
10-21-2012, 09:11 AM
Thanks, for some reason the lack of color actually puts more detail into the picture, in my mind anyway. I rarely ever end up in any of the shots because I'm usually always out working alone and can't find anybody to volunteer to be the camera operator.:photo:

Toby--how about getting a game camera, set it up where your working and every time you pass by it will get a picture of you and the machine. :lol:

ianoz
10-21-2012, 12:58 PM
A you tube video of what a D2 can do .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KwARwpeP-_I

Inter674
10-21-2012, 05:50 PM
I recently watched a D2 operate and was quite impressed with its pushing power. It dug a 6' deep hole maybe 100' long in almost no time in sandy loam.

But as this was a 'sales' demo, I could not help thinking that I would not be using it so.

The main reason?

Well for a start he wanted 11k $Au for it (!!) and it needed much work - eg., non original bland and hydraulics, pony smoking, one steering clutch siezed and so on.

Secondly having made several enquiries regarding parts for the planned restoration, using it for heavy work could prove finacially suicidal given most that parts including track wear components are no longer available - so I am advised.

So if I am lucky enough to find one in reasonable condition at a sensible price, I would not be using it for any hard work at all:)

Just my 2 bob's worth.

Delta Dirt
10-21-2012, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the demo Ianoz------------sorta rekindles the desire to get my little '56 model D2 to rolling. I've got two with close serial numbers that need to be converted into one. Maybe I'll get around to it this winter?????-----------try to squeeze some shop time in between doctor visits. Sorta hard to do when you are still trying to feed yourself.

Am forwarding the D2 link to my son out in Houston--------------maybe get him a little more interested.

Do alot of work------------just doesn't do it in a big way; but very easy to move around.

I think I remember White-halftrack mentioning that the old fellow that he bought his D2 from had another with a blade on it. Might be worth your while to try to buy it off of him also.

Your tractor sure looks to be in great condition---------would be interesting to see what the hour meter reads (but gotta keep in mind that the hour meters were always subject to failing). Your tractor truly looks to be a low hour machine.

Good luck-----

Delta Dirt

white halftrack
10-21-2012, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the demo Ianoz------------sorta rekindles the desire to get my little '56 model D2 to rolling. I've got two with close serial numbers that need to be converted into one. Maybe I'll get around to it this winter?????-----------try to squeeze some shop time in between doctor visits. Sorta hard to do when you are still trying to feed yourself.

Am forwarding the D2 link to my son out in Houston--------------maybe get him a little more interested.

Do alot of work------------just doesn't do it in a big way; but very easy to move around.

I think I remember White-halftrack mentioning that the old fellow that he bought his D2 from had another with a blade on it. Might be worth your while to try to buy it off of him also.

Your tractor sure looks to be in great condition---------would be interesting to see what the hour meter reads (but gotta keep in mind that the hour meters were always subject to failing). Your tractor truly looks to be a low hour machine.

Good luck-----

Delta Dirt

Here is a pic of the hour meter but I did not believe it. Would it mean it has 10370 hours on it? Without making sure it works, who knows. The old fellow I bought it from has two other D2's, one a parts tractor and the second is a complete d2 that he said one steering clutch is out of. Not sure if they are available. I will post some pics of the parts machine that I took even though I said I would not post another thread before pickup. Sorry.
Jason

zootownjeepguy
10-21-2012, 07:59 PM
I will post some pics of the parts machine that I took even though I said I would not post another thread before pickup. Sorry.
Jason

We like PICTURES. Don'worryboutit.:thumb:

drujinin
10-22-2012, 06:27 PM
I cleared a brushed over field for the neighbor in the Spring, right now Its sitting over at anothers place where I cleaned 6 to 12 inches of cattail roots and loam out of a 50 by 150 foot long pond in about 7 hours and a 100 by 200 foot long ponds in about 12 hours.
Take your time and remember its not a new tractor and you'll get it done!