PDA

View Full Version : 112 Grader 1957 model 6 volt or 12?

LeakyBoot
02-01-2013, 08:46 AM
Came with a 12 volt battery to start the pony. Thanks, LB

ccjersey
02-01-2013, 08:50 AM
All the pony motors in that era started on 6 volt, but will stand a 12 volt and crank really well.

I don't expect the generator is working, but have heard a 6V generator with the right regulator and a 12V battery can charge it well enough. Your milage may vary!

LeakyBoot
02-01-2013, 08:54 AM
Thanks. Gen is not hooked up. I would like to get something going to charge the battery that is good and trouble free. Any ideas? LB

ccjersey
02-01-2013, 12:36 PM
Usually the cheapest thing is to get the generator to work. Probably the easiest way is to remove the regulator and generator and take to an automotive electric shop.

Or it's not rocket science to get one working if the components are good.

First thing to do is put in a battery and make sure you have battery voltage at the BAT terminal on the regulator when you check it to ground. That tells you that you have a good connection through the grounds as well as the positive side. Then connect the regulator to the generator per a wiring diagram. Basically Field to feild terminal and Armature or GEN terminal to GEN terminal. Once you get that all connected, then you need to polarize the generator. Operator's manual has a procedure and a wiring diagram for your machine or maybe someone on here can help if you need.

Start it up and see what you get. I have had to burnish the points on the regulator before as well as adjust the tension on the springs on some of them, but usually it's best to leave this kind of thing to a shop that knows what to do. They may just sell you a regulator

Generator is pretty trouble free in my experience. No switches to leave on and kill your battery. If you have a battery disconnect switch, you can open it when you turn machine off, but I don't think most had one from that era and really didn't need one.

LeakyBoot
02-04-2013, 02:49 PM
Thanks for all the info. I would like to go with 12 volt as the past owner went to alot of trouble setting up 12 volt lighting but never finshed up on the charging system except for a solar panel on the cab roof. Also, I have 12 volt batteries on hand and no 6 volts. I have seen the conversions done by cutting off about a third of the generator and direct mounting a delco alternator to the end. Has anyone seen just how this is done? It looked great. LB

ccjersey
02-04-2013, 09:37 PM
the direct drive arrangements are a commercial kit or someone with a lathe and some machinist skills can make one. They usually use a lovejoy coupling between a short shaft with the gear and the alternator shaft. They typically do away with the cooling fan of the alternator, which might affect the longevity of the alternator. But the alternators are cheap enough so it doesn't hurt too much.

The pulley on the back of the generator is more of a shop built approach with minimum machine work required.

Ray54
02-05-2013, 09:42 AM
Depending what talents and tools you have available.You would remove the armature windings from the shaft and shorten the case so you have shaft out the end of case,or replace the shaft with a different one so a pulley is on the tail and fabricate the brackets to mount the alternator.I did one this way the new pulley was only press fit and I always worried it would come lose but never did.If you don't have machining talent probably cheaper to buy one of the commercially made ones.The delco alternator is a good one to us because it works in both directions as well as at low speed.
Ray

ccjersey
02-05-2013, 01:07 PM
Before I gutted the generator, I would take it to a generator and starter shop to see what your options are to convert to 12 volts. It may be cheaper to convert it than to purchase an alternator conversion.