PDA

View Full Version : Undercarriage Files

Old Magnet
12-15-2006, 06:47 PM
This is in response to "Bernie's" request.
I though I would start a new post under the topic in hopes that in can be retrieved a little easier.

I have given up on this lot ever coming up with a logical archive feature and now that we have lost the ability to put captions on pictures and have added all the nonsensical thumbnail feature it is even more cumbersome to organize a photo sequence suitable for archiving.

These are some pictures from my "Undercarriage" files.
Hopefully it will encourage more of the input that has already begun on this topic.

Old Magnet
12-15-2006, 06:52 PM
Another batch (can only do four at a time???)

Well, this didn't go far, says I have exceeded my quota:( :(
What gives, only have about 16 more pics to post.

D4Jim
12-15-2006, 06:55 PM
Gosh OM!! Those first 4 were excellent!! Where do we go or complain to for more capacity?? Those pics OM are worth ten thousand words!! Keep up the good work!! ;)

Old Magnet
12-15-2006, 07:02 PM
Another try.

No go:mad: :mad:

Hmmm appears quota is based on total number of pictures posted. So now I have to go back and clear pictures from previous posts to get back in quota. What a crock, never had to do that on the old BB.

Al Letts
12-15-2006, 07:37 PM
Jee Gawds,

If you exceeded total pix count in the past OM, I must be in way deeper than you with all the show pix I put up. Go Figure..

Al

Old Magnet
12-15-2006, 07:53 PM
Ok, cleaned out some files, lets see if I can post a few more.

Old Magnet
12-15-2006, 08:08 PM
Well, that didn't work. I hit the posting limit again so I deleted pics so that I could post more. The result is no pics. Seems this is just a BS board, not suitable for posting long sequences of pictures. Joe B. any instruction would be appreciated or is it off to photobucket........

Al Letts
12-15-2006, 08:21 PM
Trial photo, first atttempt new board

Al Letts
12-15-2006, 08:25 PM
Well it's not CAT but gives some info.

Old Magnet
12-15-2006, 08:31 PM
Deleting picture files appears to have eliminated picture posts from other posts that I had responded to, usually with parts illustrations or technical pictures so that info is gone also. Kinda between a rock and a hard place. Post pictures suitable to archive but then have to eliminate them to keep posting. Anybody else got a take on this situation:confused: :confused:

bernie
12-15-2006, 08:54 PM
OM-thanks. I think setting up a new thread for the topic is a good idea. I have struggled with photo posts since I have been on board. That is why I use the picture posting website. Not such a good idea for the retention of information that hopefully this thread will prove to have.

I am happy you have sunk your teeth in this...you do have teeth don't you:D ? We have never met so I am not sure...my apologies to your lonely gums if you don't! Kidding of course, I appreciate your work and help.

bernie

Delta Dirt
12-15-2006, 10:24 PM
Magnet---

Don't know what is wrong---but I didn't pick up any pictures off of this post ---other than Al's. Let's hang on----I believe Joe B. will get it figured out once he picks up on the problem.

Bernie----

Never have met him in person either, but from just what I've picked up on from "our friend" Tractor Don----naw, Magnet don't have no teeth. That's why he don't like to have his picture took (you don't know how you look----til you have your picture took).;) :D ---and with further news, I ain't got but a few---my wife definitely says I don't have enough. But you gotta look at the postive side---ain't no substitute for being able to pick your teeth with a flat blade screwdriver.:cool:

And surely this is a worthwhile ARCHIVE PROJECT. May have to get the bigger hammer here Old Magnet.:rolleyes:

Delta Dirt

Willie
12-15-2006, 10:59 PM
LOLWell Well where does one begin on this thread? I think is is great to see all those who jumped on the BB the day it came online praising and patting the ole mighty Joe on the back and now that you are trying to use it for its intentions are finding its not any better then we had before and before that . It has a few things better and some are worse, I can asure you this is not what the ACMOC BoD thought we would be getting after they bugeted $5000 and waited nearly a yr to get in opperation. When what we got is same as Joe did on his site in 3 days and said only cost $125 when Pauls BB crashed just painted a diff color.
Bernie: What you are asking for is something we all thought would be part of our new website an archive for things like this. ( tourqe specs,firing orders,yr models,on&on). And if it ever comes about that section is something that set up so such info would have to be sent to GWH and maybe others for editing and approval making sure it fits into ACMOCs scope and then passed to a reliable webmaster to add to site in a timely manner. Not do as OM and fill the BB with such info The BB is for shareing info on specific subjects not fill with volumes of info that belongs in the archives, assuming thats what he is trying to post.
OM: Maybe if you paid for it you'd get more out of it LOL (no ticket no laundry)

bernie
12-16-2006, 08:08 AM
Hey-this will work fine. It does seem to me that getting something, on any topic, on track via thread, archive...whatever the path taken is a first step.

Once done, I have no doubt that Joe Black can move and shift the data if he feels it is more useful somewhere else and let us know. My problems posting photos is only due to file size on my end, not the board. I want to make that clear.

OM-I hope you are successful. I believe this info will be very useful. I thank you for your work. Your comments associated with trying to post are productive to finding a solution.

bernie

Joe_Black
12-16-2006, 09:38 AM
LOLWell Well where does one begin on this thread? I think is is great to see all those who jumped on the BB the day it came online praising and patting the ole mighty Joe on the back and now that you are trying to use it for its intentions are finding its not any better then we had before and before that . It has a few things better and some are worse, I can asure you this is not what the ACMOC BoD thought we would be getting after they bugeted $5000 and waited nearly a yr to get in opperation. When what we got is same as Joe did on his site in 3 days and said only cost $125 when Pauls BB crashed just painted a diff color.
Bernie: What you are asking for is something we all thought would be part of our new website an archive for things like this. ( tourqe specs,firing orders,yr models,on&on). And if it ever comes about that section is something that set up so such info would have to be sent to GWH and maybe others for editing and approval making sure it fits into ACMOCs scope and then passed to a reliable webmaster to add to site in a timely manner. Not do as OM and fill the BB with such info The BB is for shareing info on specific subjects not fill with volumes of info that belongs in the archives, assuming thats what he is trying to post.
OM: Maybe if you paid for it you'd get more out of it LOL (no ticket no laundry)
You know Willie, if you'd get your facts straight before you opened your mouth you'd be a bunch more credible. What I built in a weekend for $125 wasn't ACME, but the original ACF board that ran for a year before being upgraded three years ago to what is now ACME. And that took significantly more time and expense than the ACF board, something on the order of about four months.

OM, I'll look at the individual file quota as it's the same for everyone. There is a cap on it since we're using finite server space to store uploaded photos, and it has a direct impact on the stability and performance of the web site so has to be managed carefully.

As for captions, a simple thing to do is edit your photo with text so the description is actually part of the photo. I do a lot of "how-to" articles for other forums and have found that to be a real handy way of labeling what's-what with the pictures.

Old Magnet
12-16-2006, 09:56 AM
Hi Joe,
Thanks for the response.
The pictures I attempted to post had the captions incorporated. Takes more effort to do it that way but does work.

My new concern is that if you have to remove pictures to maintain quota, that makes the poster the keeper of the files and if they are removed from the site they are lost from the ACMOC archives. Is my understanding correct? From what I observe so far the old BB photo operation was far superior with the one exception of having to post in reverse order. Quota was not a problem and viewing was a lot more logical without having to flip flop back and forth to thumbnails. The only issue with the old BB was reliability. Seems like we've gone round the mountain to a lesser functioning version.

Willie
12-16-2006, 10:33 AM
Joe ; What ever the order of your envents on your BB was dosnt matter here keep in mind what goes in archive is not your call, it all must be oked by GWH or anyone aurterized by the BoD and not contain anything post 1960 this is ACMOC way not acme way.
OM Its easy to post all those pages just start one at a time when file gets full and wont let you post anymose just go back start deleteing the ones you posted 5 min earler.
I am in proccess of getting some webite service info from some clubs that have far better then what we have and passing info to Jeff Huff to bring beforre the BoD at next meeting, time to stop this snowball before it gets rolling ,because this Website is far from what ACMOC needs and if this system and attitude is a sample of our finished website its time stop now and use a professanal company

skywagon70
12-16-2006, 11:15 AM
Om I cant acess the pics you have so i am really out of it lol.must not be clicking on the right spot.needta carpet click the whole page i giss:confused:
Butch:confused:

D4Jim
12-16-2006, 11:26 AM
OM, I wonder what happened to the first 4 pics you posted as they were visible yesterday but not today!! :confused: Must be gremlins in the servers!! :rolleyes:

Old Magnet
12-16-2006, 11:27 AM
Hi Skywagon,
It's nothing that you are doing. Currently the pictures are not there. In order to stay in quota I had to delete picture files to post more. That is my point. Once you delete they are gone. I could start the process all over again but would wind up with same result having to delete to add more. I still have the info, about 20 pictures but I'd like to see if the quota could be raised so that a decent sized series of pictures can be posted. This would only be a stop gap fix though as the quota is accumulative and sooner or later you would have to clear them for new posting. Once cleared it appears they are gone from the archives which means if you do a search at a later time the pictures are not there. Again I'm no expert and am seeking correct instruction.

Joe_Black
12-16-2006, 04:54 PM
Hi Joe,
Thanks for the response.
The pictures I attempted to post had the captions incorporated. Takes more effort to do it that way but does work.

My new concern is that if you have to remove pictures to maintain quota, that makes the poster the keeper of the files and if they are removed from the site they are lost from the ACMOC archives. Is my understanding correct? From what I observe so far the old BB photo operation was far superior with the one exception of having to post in reverse order. Quota was not a problem and viewing was a lot more logical without having to flip flop back and forth to thumbnails. The only issue with the old BB was reliability. Seems like we've gone round the mountain to a lesser functioning version.
We're very much in the infancy here with how a lot of the enhanced features and such are going to end up working. I'm hesitant to offer much more than that as I'm operating at the direction of ACMOC and not on my own, but an archive function has been discussed where the person posting images desired for archiving won't have to take the hit to their general upload quota. Again, many of these things are still "in the works" as the greatest effort is currently getting everyone migrated to the new forum here. As soon as that's settled then I can focus on tailoring it to suit such things.

Joe ; What ever the order of your envents on your BB was dosnt matter here keep in mind what goes in archive is not your call, it all must be oked by GWH or anyone aurterized by the BoD and not contain anything post 1960 this is ACMOC way not acme way.
Willie, you brought up the "order of my events" and incorrectly at that. Don't call me out on how I do things on ACME then turn about face and say it isn't relevant when you're the one making it so. Facts are facts, stick to that and stay the course of your own line of thought.

I am in proccess of getting some webite service info from some clubs that have far better then what we have and passing info to Jeff Huff to bring beforre the BoD at next meeting, time to stop this snowball before it gets rolling ,because this Website is far from what ACMOC needs and if this system and attitude is a sample of our finished website its time stop now and use a professanal company
I'm glad you're getting this info together as I've tendered my option to ACMOC if they are interested in having it. This is not a "job" for me but an effort of passion for the hobby and the community that supports it, and my efforts here were to receive only minor compensation. It is certainly not worth this.

Old Magnet
12-16-2006, 05:09 PM
Hi Joe,
Thanks again for your response.
I can see you are in a frustrating position, especially waiting for ACMOC direction.

I would like to finish the post I started. It has 20 (resized to reasonable) pictures that will surely hit my quota. How should I proceed to get r done?
or should I just back burner it for now.

Willie
12-16-2006, 05:13 PM
Joe my hobby is resoring old Cats but would never enter into contract to do it for anyone else because they would always find faults. There is no room here for a website admin. that this is his hobby. We have had years of that didnt work then and is not working now and if GWH enetered into contract knowing this was your hobby and we have to wait til you have free time, sometime weeks as we have seen from the registration shame on him too . This site was bugeted $5000, there is no reason to play games with hobbiest and delays for that kinda money we should have the best. We have already waisted years on the hobbiest and part timers Its time to hire the pros that will deliver us a good service and without excuses and rudeness to its members. and it is obvious that aint you goodbye Joe

Joe_Black
12-16-2006, 05:27 PM
Hi Joe,
Thanks again for your response.
I can see you are in a frustrating position, especially waiting for ACMOC direction.

I would like to finish the post I started. It has 20 (resized to reasonable) pictures that will surely hit my quota. How should I proceed to get r done?
or should I just back burner it for now.
If you can email me the pictures and let me know what thread they're for I'll make it work until we get that part of the forum settled out.

Joe my hobby is resoring old Cats but would never enter into contract to do it for anyone else because they would always find faults. There is no room here for a website admin. that this is his hobby. We have had years of that didnt work then and is not working now and if GWH enetered into contract knowing this was your hobby and we have to wait til you have free time, sometime weeks as we have seen from the registration shame on him too . This site was bugeted $5000, there is no reason to play games with hobbiest and delays for that kinda money we should have the best. We have already waisted years on the hobbiest and part timers Its time to hire the pros that will deliver us a good service and without excuses and rudeness to its members. and it is obvious that aint you goodbye JoeIt's well and widely known that old Caterpillars are one of my hobbies. I'm on this forum pretty much every day checking on things and processing registrations. I can't process a registration where it looks like a spammer attempting to gain access because either the information provided doesn't jive with the old forum or the registrant simply doesn't follow direction or respond to my emails. Each day I work individually with folk that have contacted me with questions or problems attempting to access the new forum. That's not playing games, that's helping those that share the same passion you do and just trying to do the best you can. As for "excuses", it's common courtesy to let someone know what's going on as when I was recently with limited Internet access while travelling. Rudeness would have been to ignore the people here wondering why I'm not processing their registrations or addressing questions.

Old Magnet
12-16-2006, 06:23 PM
Thanks again Joe,
That is very generous of you considering all you have your plate.
Guess I need your email address. You can send it to me in a PM if you prefer.

Willie
12-16-2006, 06:27 PM
Joe I will admit the reg. prob is partly my fault I am the guy who went to the ACMOC BoD meeting and made sure that everybody could use same handles and they agreed to it, but maybe your instructions and method are too complicated for us tractor people. It only took me 2 hrs to get regested but some like Brewzer it took 2 weeks and I beleave it has more to do with your limited time not the process. Your limited access and shortage of time is not our problem, just do the job you promised and are getting paid to do. I dont care how the ATM @ dowecheatem&how works I only care about how ACMOC website works