PDA

View Full Version : caterpillar crawler race from way back

gibsonf5
03-25-2013, 05:59 PM
curious as to whether anyone has saw this or has any information about this event? quite impressive. regards,eric

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qzv5WcoaPg

dpendzic
03-25-2013, 06:48 PM
Yea--thats been around for a long time. Rumor has it the first guy thru a barn died when the roof came down on him.

old-iron-habit
03-26-2013, 02:06 PM
That was an awesome video. You could not do that today because there would be to many lawyers in the way to operate. Could somebody really be foolish enough to drive through a barn without a canopy? Is this for real or a teal good video geek with a lot of time on his hands?

gibsonf5
03-26-2013, 02:20 PM
That was an awesome video. You could not do that today because there would be to many lawyers in the way to operate. Could somebody really be foolish enough to drive through a barn without a canopy? Is this for real or a teal good video geek with a lot of time on his hands?

i found this just facinating. i have watched many times over and its my opinion that there was no driver in that seat when he came out that barn that fell. what i did was pause the vid a few seconds before he came out and then hit play and pause really quick almost like frame by frame and it appears that you can see an empty seat at the 4:51 mark. i wouldnt think anyone would b foolish enough to try that sitting in the seat. i can only assume this was a sales ploy possibly by cat. i just dont know. it is a million wonders someone wasnt killed or seriously hurt during this. gotta respect machinery at all times and it would appear that there isnt much of that in this vid. what i do know is that there are a bunch of fine caterpillar machines in this vid.

CaliYellow
03-30-2013, 01:27 AM
Wow.. What a wild piece of film.. I guess drinking and Cats don't go together.. Ha
Those guys were nuts, but looks like they were having a ball....

Deas Plant.
03-30-2013, 07:46 AM
Hi, Folks.
As I understand it, Cat has been trying to suppress this video/film for a VERY long time on the grounds of the safety issues.

How-wevver, unless I miss my guess, it was made back in the 'Great Depression Years', 1929 to 1932 or thereabouts, when times were REALLY tough and a LOT of people were out of work. Many people would do almost anything to earn a buck and, if that's what they were being paid to do, or if there was some prize money involved, I can imagine that there would have been some people willing to try for it.

It doesn't look to be too well organised, more of a not very well thought out publicity stunt.

Just my 0.02.

gibsonf5
03-30-2013, 12:12 PM
Hi, Folks.
As I understand it, Cat has been trying to suppress this video/film for a VERY long time on the grounds of the safety issues.

How-wevver, unless I miss my guess, it was made back in the 'Great Depression Years', 1929 to 1932 or thereabouts, when times were REALLY tough and a LOT of people were out of work. Many people would do almost anything to earn a buck and, if that's what they were being paid to do, or if there was some prize money involved, I can imagine that there would have been some people willing to try for it.

It doesn't look to be too well organised, more of a not very well thought out publicity stunt.

Just my 0.02.

thanks deas plant, i agree. looks about that era. i know my grandfather and some of my uncles grew up thru the depression and you are right, when people get hungry and have mouths to feed at home, a man will do anything it takes to provide. at least a good man will. that generation of folks, at least most of them, did not take handouts. they wanted to work and provide as a man should. thanks for your .02 happy easter, eric

MARCOTEN
03-30-2013, 01:44 PM
A while back i posted the same link and i was asked by moderator to edit my post and delete the link, because of copyrights from Cat. but it seems to be ok now....( btw, i like the race so much!! especialy because i have those TEN and Fifteen tractors myself!!) maybe i can do a race in my back garden, who has a sixty or thirty may join!, ( first make a rops/fops on the tractor offcorse and mount seatbelts in the tractors.)

dpendzic
03-30-2013, 04:52 PM
A while back i posted the same link and i was asked by moderator to edit my post and delete the link, because of copyrights from Cat. but it seems to be ok now....( btw, i like the race so much!! especialy because i have those TEN and Fifteen tractors myself!!) maybe i can do a race in my back garden, who has a sixty or thirty may join!, ( first make a rops/fops on the tractor offcorse and mount seatbelts in the tractors.)

Sounds like fun!! How many barns do you have?? :lol:

I was actually fighting a brush fire once driving our brush truck thru very heavy brush and dense smoke--low and behold I actually drove thru an old abandoned duck house and didn't know it until I came out the other side. Thank God we have full protection for the crew on the back!! :thumb:

puffer@rpi.edu
03-30-2013, 06:32 PM
That was a hoot. All that was missing was a bunch of Keystone Cops.

Old Magnet
03-30-2013, 07:33 PM
Ya, that film has been making the rounds for many years. Seems as I recall the conclusion was the whole thing was staged, stunt men and all.

gibsonf5
03-30-2013, 11:00 PM
Ya, that film has been making the rounds for many years. Seems as I recall the conclusion was the whole thing was staged, stunt men and all.

yeah seems like stunt men to me too. the one fellow especially that got threw over the hood of his crawler and then took a perfect tumble roll landing. looked pretty hollywood. still amusing and unbelievably dangerous.