PDA

View Full Version : Zenith carb flooding

grayrat
04-11-2013, 01:02 PM
1936 RD4 pony zenith carb keeps flooding. If i manually turn off and on (regulate fuel flow) the fuel line i can keep it running. I've replace the float and needle / seat no change. Any suggestions would help.

drujinin
04-11-2013, 01:21 PM
Did the seat happen to have a gasket on it?
Then did you adjust the float level?
Is there any rust or crud that seems to be in the float bowl when you take it off?

edb
04-11-2013, 07:35 PM
Hi Team,
some pony carbs get a beating when things go awry.
I have seen float bowls with badly dented in ends and sides so much so that they would catch the float and stop it rising or falling, thereby, the fuel does not flow or will not shut off as needed.
Float should sit level with the top cover when it is held upside down.
Cheers,
Eddie B.

grayrat
04-12-2013, 08:49 PM
Did the seat happen to have a gasket on it?
Then did you adjust the float level?
Is there any rust or crud that seems to be in the float bowl when you take it off?

no gasket and yes there was crud between the fuel inlet and needle so i flushed and dipped the upper cover. float level was good and moved freely. The fuel line is gravity feed is there a pressure limit on the inlet?

drujinin
04-12-2013, 09:32 PM
Probably the crud is coming down the line and will be a continous problem.
Pressure?
If the fuel tank is a few inches higher than the carb, I would have to assume the pressure would not even be in the psi range??
Maybe 1/4 psi max?????

Soapy
04-12-2013, 10:18 PM
no gasket and yes there was crud between the fuel inlet and needle so i flushed and dipped the upper cover. float level was good and moved freely. The fuel line is gravity feed is there a pressure limit on the inlet?

Have you removed the pony gas tank, and cleaned it thoroughly? If not, you will be fighting the float problem forever.

Old Magnet
04-13-2013, 11:14 AM
I have overcome some troublesome tanks by converting the drain plug to mount a filter sediment bowl w/shutoff.