PDA

View Full Version : Logue's Cat 60 Intake Manifold Patterns

Rick McKay
04-19-2013, 09:40 AM
In the wake of the recent auction at Logue's, I'm wondering if Logue's Caterpillar Sixty intake manifold patterns have ever resurfaced. Or is there anyone else with patterns currently casting the late 60 intake manifolds? My poor old 60 is in sad need of one.

Rick

Jeff M.
04-19-2013, 03:20 PM
I think they where given to ACMOC but I am not 100% sure

hiwide15
04-19-2013, 04:54 PM
My understanding is they were donated to acmoc, so why cant someone get to use them and make some to offer for sale.

Jason 10/D4
04-19-2013, 06:35 PM
Ron you raise a very good question would like to see what the bod has to say on your suggestion? Jason

JasonPayneCrawlers
04-19-2013, 07:42 PM
Jason , that makes two of us:thumb:

mog5858
04-21-2013, 09:39 AM
ya i could use a new intake as well for my 60 that should get a good money maker for the acmoc let me know if something happens

Steve A
04-21-2013, 10:58 AM
This came up at the bowling green show, I believe from talking with Willie the story goes something like this.

The Louge family did donate the patern to acmoc. I belive one of the members maybe a board member has them for safe keeping. ACMOC wants 1 company to take the paterns pour machine and ship the finished product where ACMOC only handles the paper work and of course gets a cut. That all seems reasonable. The question is has the member persued this. It would be nice to know the status, if that member is not interested in doing it, it should be passed on to someone who is for the benifitt of all. It might be a problem of finding a shop that is willing to invest time and money in manifold invintory, its usually not cost efficitive to make them 1 or 2 at a time and making a large batch could take a year or more to sell.
I believe Byron was willing to help with the manufacturing process but needless to say that dident work out not to mention logistics.

Willie
04-21-2013, 05:26 PM
Steve you are very correct and BoD members are looking for a company that will cast machine and ship for us and give ACMOC a percentage. As of last week ACMOC took possession of 7 pallets of parts from the Logue Family that may already have finished manifolds. But with the event in Peoria this past week, things havnt been looked over and inventoried yet.
The BoD wants to make all these parts avail to our members but before we do we need to put a plan together to keep track of the patterns and parts before we do anything. As we are finding its hard to find a Company that will handle the whole package and invest the front money needed to do so. But we are working with a few foundries across the country to get something going.
Its very easy to find people who want to take the patterns and make stuff but its much more diffacult finding a bonded trustworthy person to get them cast, machined and delivered to our members all while taking good care of our patterns and giving good service to our members. We cant afford to let these patterns get damaged or lost..
Loaning out the patterns to who ever wants to use them is not an option at this point. We need to get everything in order before we go any farther.
On a good note Garlic Pete, Myself and other BoD members are working to supply ACMOC members with parts for restoration projects, Erik has been working on tools and other small castings, Pete and I have been trying to perfect the gauges that we want made, get production started soon and most all of us are looking into the use Logue patterns. As we need to do something to offset our Model program that has taken a big hit downward in the past 5 or so yrs.

biggastractor
04-21-2013, 06:12 PM
Willie,

Thanks for the information. I am curious about which molds ACMOC received. When do you think we could expect a list of possible parts that could be reproduced? That was a very nice gift to ACMOC

Biggastractor

hicrop10
04-21-2013, 08:10 PM
Willie,thanks for the update.I can only wonder the huge job it is trying to find someone to take on this project.I know first hand,I had some side curtains made up for the Cat 10's and it was close to a year before I saw anything.I didn't have any up front money to put out,but it was just a hassle going back and forth to the fab shop that was 1-1/2 hours away.Well thanks again.Please keep us all posted as I know you will.It may help you if you had an idea of what you are going to have made and see about how many you will be able to sell.I would love to have an good carb. for the 10's and 15's tractors.Mike Durkin

Rick McKay
04-21-2013, 08:21 PM
I'm glad I started this thread. It looks like things are headed in a positive direction, and this discussion has provided some transparency as to what is happening behind the scenes with the patterns and core molds. I would be happy to purchase a rough casting. I would even be willing to do the machining on a batch of 10-20 manifolds to offset the cost of my own manifold. It would be an honor to participate in helping this endeavor get off the ground.

Perhaps a list of guys that need manifolds would be beneficial in surveying the market.

1. Rick McKay, MI
2. mog5858, SK
3. ?

Rick

mog5858
04-21-2013, 08:55 PM
I would be happy with just a rough casting purchase half the fun is building and fix on the old cats. sounds like the BOD has a good handle on things.

Willie
04-21-2013, 10:12 PM
I will keep you all informed as things as we go along and Im sure its not going to be a fast pace as we all would like, but it is happening and please do not hesitate to ask how progress is going our give us info you may have about this matter as they are your patterns and as directors its our job to do what is best for the members.
But other then myself every other BoD member has a real job and a real life that they also need to take care of. Dispite what you might hear elsewhere we do have a handle on it and do our best as we jump the hurdles. And we do have our share of those.
The BoD does feel making parts to help in members restorations is very important and with George Logues donation it really helps. The common goal is to put them to good use and not shove them in the corner of some barn or in a hasty decision turn them over to the wrong hands. I have been working on an contract so when we do let them lose we know how many are being made, that our patterns are in good hands, we are working with someone who will fill the needs of the members satisfactory and pay ACMOC what is agreed on. And today that hit a giant roadblock. Today has been an exceptionally hard day for me so Im gonna have a couple beers and get back to it tomorrow.

wendell f. stegner
04-22-2013, 04:14 PM
Hello to all,

This is an interesting read I must say. You all can add me on the list. Mine currently works but pretty rough.

3.) Wendell Stegner, ph. 816-694-0267

yancy44 mag
04-23-2013, 03:00 AM
i talked to the president to night at the cat cave castings the cat 30 are coming off as we speak and their tooling up for a small run of the manifolds for the cat 60 and they are in dissections about some 22 stuff not to sure but something up their are a lot of smaller parts that,s their working on with the blueprints that came from cat ink so lets keep our fingers that that those parts will make it to the states even if the BOD do not think that these parts are well made that some of the folks that i know at cat ink are just blown away buy the qualty and pride that go into these so their a lot of us that do also we will wight our turn for custom made to spect parts i am very great full have him as a:thumb: friend

Steve A
04-23-2013, 05:28 AM
Yancy
I have never heard anyone say anything bad about Byrons parts, Everyone has found his work to be of the highest quality and I do talk to board members, I do not know why you would post such a comment. I doubt there is any truth in it.

ianoz
04-23-2013, 08:41 AM
Well , My 2 cents worth ,I know The Gentleman in question Would like a 60 .and has Russian friends with 60s So don't completely Discount the possibility of it happening .

phildirt
04-23-2013, 09:39 AM
Do the Logue patterns for the 60 manifold even exist?

The story going around the first time this was discussed was that they went to Texas and never came back.

lanes
05-01-2013, 08:44 PM
I thought i'd send some pic's of this sixty intake I have. It is a square cast intake that was on a sixty power unit. It is ready to bolt on and has a casting #2573A. Never seen a square intake, other than that everthing looks the same. Any info on this would be appreciated and would sell for 350.00 plus shipping. Thanks Lane stamper 913-233-9011 368773687836879

Tom Madden
05-01-2013, 10:13 PM
Lanes:

That manifold is for Best 60 2201 A to 2546 A and Cat 60 2547 A through 2700 A. It should have a tag facing outward just above where the Stromberg carb mounts. I sent you a pm, please check.

Tom

smokenrust
05-02-2013, 02:17 PM
I could use a manifold, a rough casting manifold would be OK too.
But my need would be dependant on couple things, such as price and if I get my 60 fixed up to run...:(

Manifold
Think the manifold should be replaced if the old 60 gets restored? :lol:

Mike Meyer
05-02-2013, 03:47 PM
I could use a manifold, a rough casting manifold would be OK too.
But my need would be dependant on couple things, such as price and if I get my 60 fixed up to run...:(

Manifold
Think the manifold should be replaced if the old 60 gets restored? :lol:

A bit of JB Weld and a can of exhaust paint and that Ol Sixty will look like new!:lol:
regards
Mike

smokenrust
05-02-2013, 06:30 PM
A bit of JB Weld and a can of exhaust paint and that Ol Sixty will look like new!:lol:
regards
Mike
Thanks Mike,
Think a little JB would put it back to work...?
Here is the sad news..
And I do not have the pieces to weld back in either. :(

Rick McKay
05-02-2013, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the gracious offer, Lane, but I'm going to hold out for a decent original or repro casting that is correct for my '29 Sixty.

Smokenrust, ouch! Too bad about that block. However, it still could be saved.

Rick

Willie
05-29-2013, 10:15 PM
OK guys as I promised.
We made the final decision this eve on the Logue donated parts. And Im sorry to say we don't have any 60 intake manifolds or pattern to make any.
Dave did an inventory of what we had and are saving one of anything we have a pattern for so whoever makes more will have a pattern and finish product to know what its suppose to look like all machined.
The remainder of the parts we have set a price on and will be offerd to paid ACMOC members only and because it is a limited amount we will be accepting buyers and toss all those names for each part in the hat and pick a winner for amount each part we have. Then you will pay the price plus shipping and handling FOB New Jersey Anything that is not bought by the members will then be avail. to public and diredtors
Directors will not be allowed to purchase.
We will have all the details in next Magazine and on the BB. Please don't do anything til all details come out in the Magazine issue 110. If you see this on the BB and not a paid ACMOC members and want a chance at these parts, I guess you better join.
And the club members and BoD owe a big thanks to Dave Wintermute for hauling all the donated patterns and parts from Geo. Logue's home making an inventory and storing them for us. And to the late Geo. Logue and his family for the most generous donation.
Willie

Hood Part #1B2678 (4) 250

Early D2 lower engine covers (9 sets) 225

Cat 10 engine side covers (5 sets) 350

2 ton side covers (3 sets) 350

Cat D-8 engine hood (4 sets) 450

Cat D-8 engine side covers (2) sets 650

Cat 20PL, 25, & 28 engine side covers (7 sets) 350

Cat 20 8C engine side covers (2 sets) 350

Cat 22 engine side covers (2 sets) 350

Cat 15 7C engine side covers (2 sets) 350

McCormick Deering 10-20 engine side covers (3 sets) 350

Cat 10 intake manifold (1)

Cat 20 intake risers (2) 175

Cat 25 & 28 intake risers (2) 175

Cat 60 exhaust manifold part #2954 (5) 1500

Cat manifold piece part #1A3140 (1) 850

Rome K/G
01-27-2019, 02:32 PM
How long is this pipe dream going to continue???????? Get this show on the road and quit pissing around and GET IT DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

chuckb
01-27-2019, 04:59 PM
well there was a payment to Rosewood from the club for a fixture to be made probably to do machining work for the manifold this was posted in the club minutes there was also a foundry mentioned so something must be happening

Rome K/G
01-27-2019, 06:01 PM
Think I'll go watch some paint dry. lol

janmeermans
01-27-2019, 06:28 PM
Rome, everybody-

I thought we had this moving along but news dried up about October last. Let me get an update and get back to you.

JanM - Board member

PS- Rome, some modern paints dry very quickly. I hope one of those is what you chose to watch!

Rome K/G
01-27-2019, 06:44 PM
Ha! ok Jan. lol

hiwide 15
01-27-2019, 08:53 PM
Rome, everybody-

I thought we had this moving along but news dried up about October last. Let me get an update and get back to you.

JanM - Board member

PS- Rome, some modern paints dry very quickly. I hope one of those is what you chose to watch!
Why can't the bod get the patterns in the hands of a rupttable outfit and just take a small percentage to go to the club and retain ownership of the patterns, make some parts and move on, these are never going to make big money, we as a club have stalled around long enough.
Ron Meeder , former bod member

catsrbest
01-27-2019, 10:31 PM
What is this part number 1a3140 that is being sold for $850 ?

ianoz
01-28-2019, 07:24 AM
What is this part number 1a3140 that is being sold for $850 ?

The list of parts , that you read was sold 6 years ago

janmeermans
01-28-2019, 10:16 AM
May Day! May Day! May Day! Yes! This year! Start saving your pennies.

We will get a full report tonight.

JanM

Rome K/G
01-28-2019, 11:07 AM
Ok........................now what???? are they going to price them so nobody can possibly afford them except the collectors with deep pockets?????????

janmeermans
01-29-2019, 12:02 AM
Rome K/G,

We will make a special deal just for you Gary. We will trade you even up your SEVENTY FIVE for a complete set of manifolds!

Okay, since you did not like that deal, we are trying to price them fairly but still make some income for the Club. If things stay on schedule, they should be available in April some time or early May. The company making them for us has regular orders to fill and can only do ours when time is available but that is what we are being told schedule wise.

JanM

STEPHEN
01-29-2019, 07:23 AM
Ok........................now what???? are they going to price them so nobody can possibly afford them except the collectors with deep pockets?????????

If I could afford a 60, the price of a nice manifold would be mostly irrelevant.

Rome K/G
01-29-2019, 10:47 AM
Ok sorry guys, was just letting off some steam, these old Cats are getting more expensive to rebuild than years back. Sounds good Jan, hope it all works out.

Bruce P
01-29-2019, 07:57 PM
Sounds good Jan.

Is there a hint for the price?

Is there a list that one can get his or her name on?

Will there also be gaskets?

Thank you

Bruce P.

catsrbest
01-29-2019, 08:02 PM
Do I understand this right? There will be intake,exhaust and heat box made and sold separately.

Bruce P
01-29-2019, 08:38 PM
Itís my understanding that you will be able to buy the pieces separate as needed or the complete set.

BP.

janmeermans
01-29-2019, 10:56 PM
Bruce,

Yes you are correct. We will be offering a complete set or individual parts. The final machining on the first casting will be done next month and until that is done, we do not know what the final cost to the club will be. There is not yet a "I want one" list but that will be forthcoming soon. Initially we are making 8 sets of manifolds. If the interest is there, more can be built. I don't think we have addressed gaskets. If Olsen or anyone else has them, we will not be providing them. We do not wish to compete with anyone in the business for any of these parts that the club deals in.

I will keep everyone posted on the progress being made.

JanM

Steve A
01-30-2019, 04:46 PM
You can put me on the Heat box list--- if there is one

Rick McKay
02-09-2019, 08:18 AM
I would like to be #2 on the heat box list.

Rick

naylorbros
02-15-2019, 08:49 AM
HI! Are there any pictures of the castings? I know one run of the heat valve by Logue had Logue cast in the side of the heat valve in big letters. I hope the club did not replace the Logue letters with ACMOC.
THanks
Ken

mog5858
02-18-2019, 04:05 PM
the second question that we should be asking is when they are done what will be the cost be? over 5000.00 US ? how meany will be will to buy a full set ready to go on a machine ? hear in Canada that would be over 6500 and much the same as down under cost plus we have to add shipping.

Rome K/G
02-18-2019, 04:12 PM
[QUOTE=mog5858;220043]the second question that we should be asking is when they are done what will be the cost be? over 5000.00 US ? how meany will be will to buy a full set ready to go on a machine ? hear in Canada that would be over 6500 and much the same as down under cost plus we have to add shipping.[/Q
I was told to trade up even my 75 for set! so I guess bend over and get ready is what there saying.

Bruce P
02-18-2019, 09:45 PM
I donít know what the new ones will look like, but here is a picture of a pretty nasty set. These are from my Washington 60.

BP.

phildirt
02-19-2019, 10:16 AM
For your information. Probably won't help the club in setting the price.

The exhaust manifold did have "LOGUE" cast on the forward side. A quick setup on the mill removed that easily.

naylorbros
02-19-2019, 11:02 AM
Lets see if I get in trouble for posting this. From the minutes of the Oct. 15 2018 board meeting the rough castings cost $728 a set. 8 sets were cast for a total of $5824.00. Rosewood Machine and Tool was also authorized to make the jigs for machining the rough castings. That cost is $9000.00 or $1125 a set. So right now the club as $1853.00 a set into these manifolds with out machining, overhead and any profit that needs to be included in this project. The cost of the machining jigs could be spread over more sets if the orders were there, but is the club going to be able to sell 8 manifolds to recover the costs involved in the first run. I know I would love to buy a complete manifold if the price is with in the range I am planning on.
Thanks
Ken

Rome K/G
02-19-2019, 12:30 PM
For your information. Probably won't help the club in setting the price.

The exhaust manifold did have "LOGUE" cast on the forward side. A quick setup on the mill removed that easily.

That wasnt a bad price at all.

chuckb
02-19-2019, 06:56 PM
that was 21 years ago!!

Rome K/G
02-19-2019, 07:07 PM
So metal and labor has gone up that much? More than quadruped ????

chuckb
02-20-2019, 10:15 AM
well some things have gone up i know to look out when i have to call john deere our local jd equipment just sold out to an outfit called AG_PRO who is in the south and now brags 82 stores just bought two more ohio dealerships i believe labor rate is 115/hr and parts prices took a hike as well the big cost of castings was the patterns hopefully with these in hand from the club they can hold the cost down i know that i paid dearly to have the manifolds repaired for the sixty's that i have as well as others

Bruce P
06-05-2019, 08:46 AM
Just checking in, any progress to report?

Time frame?
price?

Thanks

Bruce P.

mog5858
06-05-2019, 08:28 PM
I would say you better start looking for other alternatives, Bruce. look at how old this thread is and there not one pic or date everything is open-ended.

Bruce P
06-05-2019, 08:54 PM
You may be right mog. As soon as I get the heads on Iíll probably start in on a home made set.

I R good welder.

BP.

STEPHEN
06-05-2019, 09:26 PM
You may be right mog. As soon as I get the heads on Iíll probably start in on a home made set.

I R good welder.

BP.
Get a look at Erik's 40 manifold, He made a very nice job of it.

chriscokid
06-06-2019, 05:53 AM
Just something i cobbled together, it was made with irrigation pipe, it is not perfect, but it works.

Bruce P
06-06-2019, 06:55 AM
Just something i cobbled together, it was made with irrigation pipe, it is not perfect, but it works.

Thanks chrisco, thatís exactly what I had in mind. Very nice work I might add.

BP.

ccjersey
06-06-2019, 08:21 AM
Very nice! More than just functional, it looks like the original......just needs some cosmetic rust!

haberaj
06-06-2019, 10:10 PM
Sorry all, working off my work computer and couldn't remember my password.
There will be information posted shortly regarding the 60 manifolds that you all have been waiting to hear.
Andy

Bruce P
06-06-2019, 10:47 PM
Sounds promising, thanks.

BP.