PDA

View Full Version : ACMOC Members Event Peoria 2013

chriscokid
04-23-2013, 03:01 PM
Well I thought I would give a report of the ACMOC members event held April 18th -20th.

We had approx. 200 members attend this event. I spoke to people from Canada to CA.
There was such a good response that we had to form three groups to tour the Caterpillar Plants.
The tours went to Caterpillar SS Track Type Tractor Assembly plant, Caterpillar Morton Parts Distribution Plant, Caterpillar CV Plant and Caterpillar Archives. After these groups made their tours we all met back at the Edwards Training Facility were we ate lunch and viewed a demo of 43 machines.

The SS Plant is were the D9, 10, and 11 are made along with the D6, 7, and 8. Production was a little slow due to a major computer change taken place the week before our tour. The plant will be brought back up to full speed over a period of several weeks.

The Morton Parts Distribution Plant is the largest facility that Caterpillar has for storing and distributing parts worldwide. This plant operates 27/7/365 and stocks parts dating back to 1933 (depending on demand of course).

The Caterpillar CV building is the main engineering building. In this facility they have a Heritage Hall with all kinds of History displayed. This is also the location of a RD6 that Dave Smith restored for Caterpillar.

The Caterpillar Archives is the location for you guessed it, the archives. This tour was the first time that this facility was made available to the public.

Edwards Training Facility is the location for general training and demonstrating the latest and greatest of what Caterpillar has to offer. Over the course of an hour 43 machines were shown in operation. The high light of this event was seeing a D11 operated by remote control!!(I want one by the way)

After these events we then met at the Caterpillar Visitor Center for our evening banquet.
For this event we had the opportunity to hear from the Caterpillar CEO Doug Oberhelmer and the Director of Corporate Public Affairs Jim Baumgartner. We also had the great pleasure to hear from Kent Bates who was responsible for the restoration of a Caterpillar 20, RD8 Display and a Caterpillar Genset all of which are on display at the visitors center. We enjoyed a great meal by the folks at Caterpillar and held a auction to kick off the Allison Bloom Scholarship Fund. Once all the presentations were finished folks got the chance to explore the visitorís center. If you ever get the chance to go to Peoria please make an effort to stop by for a visit. They have all kinds of displays and some things that you will not see anywhere else.

I would have to say a great time was had by all and I hope that ACMOC decides to make this an annual or semi-annual event.
I also want to thank all the people at Caterpillar that helped make this event possible and a special thanks to Doug and Jim, this men have very busy schedules and they both took the time to come by and visit with everyone.

Caterpillar Visitors Center: http://www.caterpillar.com/visitors-center

dpendzic
04-23-2013, 03:51 PM
Thanks Eric--that was great!!! :thumb:

tw
04-23-2013, 05:55 PM
I think a BIG THANK YOU goes to Tricia and Mary for all they did to help put this together. We had a very good time. The tour guides really know their stuff. The demo at Edwards was great.
I was sent a photo today showing Doug at the national show in IA some years ago with his ACMOC hat on while enjoying Norm and Bill Schuldt's 212 grader.
Erik thanks for sharing the photos
Terry

B4D2
04-23-2013, 05:58 PM
Erik, Thanks for posting an overview of the event's activities. It was nice to meet so many members of the club at a truly unique event. Thanks to all that made it a success from the staff at ACMOC, the directors, the attendees and most of all, the great folks at Caterpillar.

Tractor-Doctor
04-23-2013, 07:51 PM
This was our first members event and my wife and I had a great time. We enjoyed meeting many new people and made many new friends. We hope to make the show in NC this fall. Thanks to everyone who made this possible.
Jim and Wanda Swank

jbernd56
04-24-2013, 07:05 PM
My wife and I both want to thank the folks at ACMOC for putting this event together! The visitors center is AMAZING. It is also good to put faces with some of the names I have been seeing for a while. Hope you haven't floated away by now! Go ahead and sign me up for the one next year. LOL.

artreed
04-25-2013, 08:23 AM
Thank you ACMOC and Caterpillar Inc. For putting together a wonderful event. The tours and hospitality extended by Caterpillar was extraordinary. That D11T is one big dozer!
Thanks to every one for all there hard work to put this event together.
It was great meeting some new Cat people and putting faces with the names I see here.
I went for the full CAT experience and continued West to Nebraska to pick up a R2 6J that i bought from member Jeff Moyle over the Winter. He has a wonderful collection of Cat machinery.
Thanks again Jeff for the tour.
Lets keep the residents of Peoria in mind as the flooded Illinois river begins to receed and that the damage is not too severe.
Thanks again for a wonderful experience.
Art Reed

chriscokid
04-25-2013, 09:16 PM
Here is some news about this event from Caterpillar
http://www.caterpillar.com/cda/layout?m=612335&x=7&id=4390072

Gavin84w
04-26-2013, 04:00 AM
Looks like a fantastic event, congrats to ACMOC and all those who participated, wish i could have attended! To think the CEO took time to visit and speak with the ACMOC party says volumes about him in my mind. I am lead to believe he has a real passion for the company/product/dealer/customer history side of things, can any one confirm if Doug is actually an ACMOC member?

Off topic a bit but we have started a twice annual event down here where former Cat dealer employees of Waugh & Josephson get together and our upcoming event will see a visit to the new state of the art Westrac dealership facility and no doubt some discussion with senior management to the group also.

chriscokid
04-26-2013, 06:34 AM
Doug has been a ACMOC member since 2003

tw
04-26-2013, 07:45 PM
Many of you have seen this photo before. But it is Doug and his wife in Norm Schuldt's 212 in IA. At the national show there. He did mention going to the show in IA in his talk at the members event.
I was not there at this show, but I bet that Chuck C was close by as was Bruce and Jeff M. I can see the old guy's Elevating Grader and Hot Rod 35 next to the 212 grader. Now I hope these photos will open up. I know Bill is real proud of these photos. A few years ago at the 100 anniversary of the first Holt plant in Peoria, Bill had his Dad's Grader there. Doug remembered it and had to talk to Bill about it.
Terry

B4D2
04-26-2013, 08:15 PM
Yep, I was there. Considering the interest Doug showed to Bill and Norm's machine(s), I enjoyed listening. It was nice to see someone from Caterpillar so interested in our club back then. We also had Bill's B-61 Mack hooked up under McAnnich's trailer with the D-11 loaded atop.

Jeff M.
04-26-2013, 10:01 PM
Yep that was a good time.That was the show Smith lost the wheels on the back of the tailer coming to the show and Chuck drove by them broke down. That made for a really good talk at the show. That is when ACMOC had some really great shows.

chriscokid
04-27-2013, 03:29 PM
Here is a vid of the 20 restoration that Kent Bates did.
You will never see Kent and Payne move this fast again LOL!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3WEvDp116I&feature=youtu.be&sf11928337=1

Gavin84w
04-27-2013, 10:20 PM
Doug has been a ACMOC member since 2003

Thanks Erik,

I thought i heard some where that he was, i don,t think you can quantify what that means in terms of credability for ACMOC having the Caterpillar CEO as a member, speaks volumes for the club and product to have the head of the company who obviously is focused on today and tomorrow not forgetting what got them to where they are.

Thanks for posting the video link too, really neat to see how the restoration was done and with a bit of luck i will see it in the flesh (iron?!!) next April.

Snuffy
04-28-2013, 08:52 PM
Hi Erik, Just wanted to thank you for the recap and photos. Fully enjoyed the whole week end and both myself and my son Brandon felt the travel distance was well worth the effort. As this was our first ACMOC event, I would like to thank you Erik, Bruce, William and of course Mary & Tricia for making us feel welcome and a part of the Club. I am sorry I missed you and your father at the ACMOC office on Saturday, they told me you had left only about 10 min. before we arrived. Met Dave briefly and had a good visit with William & Bruce. Also had a good visit with John Hahn. Anyway it was very enjoyable and am very much planning on seeing you in NC.
Thanks again, Garry

B4D2
04-28-2013, 10:38 PM
Hi Erik, Just wanted to thank you for the recap and photos. Fully enjoyed the whole week end and both myself and my son Brandon felt the travel distance was well worth the effort. As this was our first ACMOC event, I would like to thank you Erik, Bruce, William and of course Mary & Tricia for making us feel welcome and a part of the Club. I am sorry I missed you and your father at the ACMOC office on Saturday, they told me you had left only about 10 min. before we arrived. Met Dave briefly and had a good visit with William & Bruce. Also had a good visit with John Hahn. Anyway it was very enjoyable and am very much planning on seeing you in NC.
Thanks again, Garry

You forgot: Garry, RNG :thumb:

Snuffy
04-28-2013, 10:57 PM
Thanks Bruce, :lol:

chriscokid
05-10-2013, 06:45 AM
Sorry but i am just now getting around to shareing the article that was in the paper about this event.