PDA

View Full Version : crookedwrench

crookedwrench
05-14-2013, 10:14 PM
With back surgery being scheduled soon, I am considering replacing the original seat and back on 67' CAT D4D 78A series. I would appreciate any tips or suggestions on using a mechanical 4" stroke suspension seat. Some metal fabricating to the original seat rails will be necessary. Probably dropping a piece of plate steel to mount the seat. I can't help but think the shock on the back would be less?

Texasbest
05-15-2013, 09:35 PM
Went through the back surgery 20+ years ago (when I was about 22) and it fixed me up for awhile. I got real bad again a few years ago and was going to do it again but started spinal decompression and Chiropractor. Been doing that for around 4 years now and it works for me.
Low back L2 to S1 w/ herniated disks, Spinal Stenosis, degenerative disks, fractured vertabae or 2.
May be worth a shot before surgery. Got to get the muscles unknotted too and working for you and not against you.
When I'm shredding and bouncing around in my tractor I try to wear a backbrace to help support it.
The Suspension seat will be the way to go though if you have room to mount it and it doesn't put you in an ackward position to operate from.
Good Luck, Roby Whitehead

crookedwrench
05-15-2013, 10:08 PM
Ordered a Grammer Seat today, Have been using a sophisticated brace for 2-3 hours at a time when needed, No stenosis, Lots of osteophytes and junk on the outside of the spine that is pinching the L4-5 nerve going to the sciatic nerve.
Hospital check in at 6 am tomorrow for a very specific procedure to just give that nerve a little more room. I can deal with the back pain. The leg pain has crippled me. Will keep you posted and send photos of seat installation.

Texasbest
05-15-2013, 10:41 PM
They have advanced a long way from my original discectomy back in 91 or 92.
That was what was bothering me back then was the pain in both legs up to the knees.
Good luck and don't worry it will be over before you know it.
I woke up and the first thing I thought was WOW the pain is gone! and then I thought I gotta pee.....:lol:

drujinin
05-16-2013, 06:12 AM
I had my L4-L5 done in 1988 back when recovery was measured in months not weeks. Running an AG tractor, you'll be fine, running a Vintage tractor for long periods will take a while. I still use the Chiropractor but the biggest thing that helps is stay active to keep the muscles in shape while keeping your weight down.

Aphonopelma
05-16-2013, 05:09 PM
I've had some back and sciatica issues for several years, I've evaded surgery so far. Keeping the weight off and staying fit is a huge factor in minimizing issues. I know I'll get hippie comments on this but yoga has helped me a lot in addition to light weight training. Our bodies are no different than our machines, gotta keep them tuned up. :playball::juggle::boxing:

I've got a couple versions of the silicone seat cushions I use when sitting on hard surfaces. I have a dust cover for one and toss it on the tractor seat when needed. For the larger tractors a modified Pete or KW air ride seat could be used. I've even seen a KW seat mounted on an orchard version Cletrac.

Texasbest
05-19-2013, 09:02 AM
I haven't tried the yoga yet but I sure do like to watch it sometimes.:thumb:
I've got to do better on the eating & stretching, it's tough but does make a difference.
Hope your procedure turned out good!

Deas Plant.
05-19-2013, 02:44 PM
Hi, Crookedwrench.
Suspension seats do make a worthwhile difference. I have used them on several machines,notably Cat track loaders. You can also get air suspension seats for machines with 24 volt systems with a built in compressor that runs off the machine's own 24 volts electrics. It may be worth enquiring to see if lower voltage systems are available.if you have electrics on your machine. The air ones are better than the mechanical ones 'cos they are more adjustable for individual needs and tastes.

Hope this helps.

Neil
05-19-2013, 05:29 PM
I had a terrible back too - but chiropractic, stretching, and general fitness mean that today, you wouldn't know I was almost unable to move. I particularly make a lot of use of stretching, so that the spine has the full range of movement and is not yanked off-track by short muscles. I would say that myofascial release is probably the #1 health tool I have now - mechanically correct movement is a no-brainer and it makes everything else work properly too - I even sleep better - uninterupted 7.5 hours per night and I jump up out of bed in the morning like Dick van Dyke.
All that said, a suspension seat is a must in my book if you're going to spend hours bouncing around. I'll fit a regular Hahn to the D2 but then I don't intend to spend a huge amount of time on it, nor crashing around on it either.
Cheers
Neil