PDA

View Full Version : D2 Pony Motor Rebuild

ftaf08
05-20-2013, 10:36 PM
Awhile back I found one of my valves resting against the head. Since the crankshaft had excessive end play, I figured I just overhaul it. I lucked out and found the pistons and rings are reuseable. However, the dowel pin boss for the main bearing in the block was wallowed out, causing the end play. I was thinking of using a little JB Weld to fix it, but I was wondering if anyone else had ever run across this and had any better ideas. I was also wondering if anyone had any thoughts on gaskets from American Crane and Tractor. I've come across some things from there in the past that weren't so good. For most of the gaskets I can get them from there or Cat, with a pretty significant price difference. Thanks in advance for any input.

Neil
05-21-2013, 08:35 AM
If the main bearing is not worn on the crank or in the housing (needs to be fairly tight in there), then just drill a new hole in the bearing for the dowel and buy new dowels (don't skimp there - they're only a few bucks each new from Cat) and get it nice and tight again. I had my engine guy set the bearing so that I had about 10 thou end float.
If the bearing is worn, then I seem to recall when I replaced mine last year it was either 50 or 90 clams - can't remember which.
Cheers,
Neil

ftaf08
05-21-2013, 10:35 AM
I plan on ordering new bearings and dowels once the crank gets back from the machine shop. My problem is the boss in the block is worn. From the looks of things, the engine doesn't have many hours on it since it was last overhauled. I think who ever did it previously didn't do a very good job as I have found several things loose or missing.

Neil
05-21-2013, 01:49 PM
If the block is flogged out, you can have a new oversize (outside diameter) turned from some stock - my engine guy said $50 per bearing although I ended up buying original, but you might want to first check if the block is round. If not, turn it first, and then have the bearing OD turned
Cheers,
Neil

drujinin
05-22-2013, 06:10 AM
Wasn't there a thread in the pst year about making bearings to fit?