PDA

View Full Version : 931traxcavator help needed

roofmagic
08-20-2013, 06:29 AM
Hello Everyone, I hve just had my head shaved and valves reseated in my old 931 model. It has3204 engine (from plate)
I took the head off cos it was blowing back thru the radiator when turing it over. (watr blowing out the radiator cap outlet) so I expected is was blown head gasket.
ive put the head back on, Same problem.
when I filled radiator with fresh clean water, I could see the water coming out of the housing that holds the injector/glow plug in bore no.1

today I have taken out injectors and glow plugs tried to turn engine over but think it is locked from waer somewhere? its like starter is stuggling o turn over.

any ideas?

also what is the injector/glow plug housing actually called? incase I am to buy new ones? and a tool to undo them?

Thanks in advance Rick

ccjersey
08-20-2013, 06:51 AM
Precombustion chamber.

Problem could be the chamber itself has a hole rusted in it, or more likely the sealing washer underneath it is leaking. If you are seeing coolant coming out around the chamber, you also have an o-ring leaking or a cracked head. The PC chamber has an o-ring that seals the top into the water jacket of the head and also a copper or soft steel sealing washer that is sandwiched under it to seal it into the combustion chamber.

these parts require a splined tool to remove them. It slides inside after removing the injector

http://www.acmoc.org/bb/attachment.php?attachmentid=33618&d=1353824657

roofmagic
08-20-2013, 07:12 AM
Precombustion chamber.

Problem could be the chamber itself has a hole rusted in it, or more likely the sealing washer underneath it is leaking. If you are seeing coolant coming out around the chamber, you also have an o-ring leaking or a cracked head. The PC chamber has an o-ring that seals the top into the water jacket of the head and also a copper or soft steel sealing washer that is sandwiched under it to seal it into the combustion chamber.

these parts require a splined tool to remove them. It slides inside after removing the injector

http://www.acmoc.org/bb/attachment.php?attachmentid=33618&d=1353824657

Hello, Thanks for the pics and info so far, very much appreciated. I see you call them PC are they called Power Comps Chambers?

I can see coolant coming out just under gravity pressure from the radiator (without even turning over the engine)
where would I buy new ones?

Thanks Rick

roofmagic
08-20-2013, 07:17 AM
Hello, Thanks for the pics and info so far, very much appreciated. I see you call them PC are they called Power Comps Chambers?

I can see coolant coming out just under gravity pressure from the radiator (without even turning over the engine)
where would I buy new ones?

Thanks Rick

pre combustion chambers? sorfry I just googled caterpillar chambers.

would you know an online shop for parts for that machine? and or removal tools.
Thanks Rick

Ray54
08-20-2013, 07:54 AM
Many parts suppliers are listed at the top of this page in the in the sticky section.And Cat is much better than many companies to have parts for most of the diesel models.
Ray

rjh-md
08-20-2013, 01:16 PM
The type of preconbustion chamber that is in your 3204 is not shown .Its a 1 piece chamber or later style .The later style chamber uses different thickness aluminun spacers in the bottom to position the glowplug hoes in the head in a go and no go range .
There is still a sealing O ring at the top ,sealing water in the head ,and around the chamber.
I am also thinking that later 3204 's were direct injection not using chambers at all. Need to confirm this by ser # of engine
If this is the case ,The head is probably crecked .
.If you have pensal type injectors in your head,Its direct injection

Old Magnet
08-20-2013, 04:20 PM
Takes a different tool to remove the pre-com chambers on the 3204 D3 and 931.

catsilver
08-21-2013, 01:53 AM
Check out the chambers and have the cylinder head pressure tested but don't spend too much money because these engines don't have any liners in them and the block will rust right through into the bores if the previous owners haven't kept the rust inhibitor strength up, this usually shows up as water in the oil but it also depends on how high the hole is in the bore. The saving grace is that these blocks can be sleeved for a reasonable price. I hope for the sake of your wallet that the fault is in the cylinder head area.

roofmagic
08-21-2013, 06:15 AM
Check out the chambers and have the cylinder head pressure tested but don't spend too much money because these engines don't have any liners in them and the block will rust right through into the bores if the previous owners haven't kept the rust inhibitor strength up, this usually shows up as water in the oil but it also depends on how high the hole is in the bore. The saving grace is that these blocks can be sleeved for a reasonable price. I hope for the sake of your wallet that the fault is in the cylinder head area.

Hello, Thanks for the info. I did take the head off already and the bores were ok so hopefully once I get the tool for the precombustion chambers ill find the problem is one of them?

fingers crossed! also ill be running quality rust inhibitor this time round too.

Thanks

roofmagic
08-21-2013, 03:42 PM

Helo, Thanks for the pic of the tool needed. Looking at the tops of the pre combustion chambers I was thinking of a tool like your picture but all the other tools I have seen online are the spline type. So your pic was greatly appreciated.

Ill try get one made up today and hopefully remove the no.1 pre combustion chamber to find it is no good?

Thanks Rick

roofmagic
08-21-2013, 03:46 PM

Hello, Sorry one more thing, the book that you got that pic from? is that a workshop manual jut on the 931 models?

if so do you know were I can get one that maybe better than others?

Thanks Rick

Old Magnet
08-21-2013, 05:38 PM
No, that came out of a Cat Tools Manual.

Look on ebay for the Parts Manual matching you s/n.
The Operation Lubrication & Maintenance Manual Form #GSG02166-1 or higher edition.
The Service Manual is Form # REGO1387

Expect to pay high dollar as that's what they are going for. To rich for me.

roofmagic
08-23-2013, 08:23 AM
No, that came out of a Cat Tools Manual.

Look on ebay for the Parts Manual matching you s/n.
The Operation Lubrication & Maintenance Manual Form #GSG02166-1 or higher edition.
The Service Manual is Form # REGO1387

Expect to pay high dollar as that's what they are going for. To rich for me.

Hello, I took out no. 1 pre combustion chamberto find a hole in the side of it. I have ordered a new set of
4 pre combustion chambers
4 seals
4 metal washers
rubber grease

so this should get it going again hopefully.

Only thing now is I think I have a starter motor problem????? hopefully the engine didn't sieze? The starter is just clicking at moment since ive put the head back on, so that's a worry.
this weekend ill try turn engine by hand to see if it turns over and go form there.

Thanks