PDA

View Full Version : D69u pulling rail 60 years later

King of Obsolete
09-08-2013, 10:51 PM
the td-18 known as Dually has a couple stripped out draw bar bolt so i had to use the d6 9u known as The Hood to pull rail. first we started off pulling rail that the rubber tire loader could not pull due to sandy conditions or it fell off the ties. once the rail is off the ties and over the edge it is great fun to pull. The Hood has been blowing a lot of black smoke and at night i can get the nice 8" flame out the top of the stack.
today was good pulling but we found out i can't pull two rails at 25,000lbs a piece and 800 feet long because of the corners on the track bed. if the rail bed was straight it would be no problem. now we are pulling 1200 feet of single rail and it follows the corners no problem plus it is not as hard on the cat when pulling 2 rails.
most likely this d6 9u also helped build the rail 60 years ago so it is only fitting that the cat helps take out the rail.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

old-iron-habit
09-09-2013, 05:51 AM
Great pictures. Noticed in the second picture that the setting plates are all picked up. Have you devised a tool to do that or is it all hand work?

Neil
09-09-2013, 06:41 AM
As much fun as you're having King, I can't bear to see rail lines being pulled up. Once they're up, they never (almost) go back in. All the cyclists around here are claiming the old lines. (Did I neglect to mention I also like trains! : )
Cheers,
Neil

snowshoveler
09-09-2013, 07:59 AM
My father was track maintenence all his life and we learned the same thing. Once the rails leave they never. Then the highways take a beating.
Nice pics of the rail.
Chris

BillWalter
09-09-2013, 08:36 AM
Just wondering where the pictures were taken? Looks like Canada or Alaska?? Bill Walter

King of Obsolete
09-09-2013, 10:22 AM
old-iron-habit -- the rail is pulled first then the plates are picked by hand and placed into plastic tubs for easy shipping. it create jobs in a place where there is no jobs.

Niel -- yes it is sad to see because someday we how a new mine opens up here in lynn lake. the rail line was a key selling feature for a mine.

snowshoveler -- adding more pictures.

Bill Walter -- the pictures were taken in northen manitoba canada better known as the great white north.

here a some more pictures of the fun i had on the weekend.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

Old 3T lover
09-09-2013, 10:59 AM
Around here when they take up the tracks, they even scoop up the rock....but they keep the right of way.

dpendzic
09-09-2013, 02:08 PM
Can you just imagine the amount of work to clear and place all that fill and ballast--let alone the ties,plates and track!
So what happens to the old rail?? hope its not going to China!!

Rome K/G
09-09-2013, 05:26 PM
Looks like your on the right track KoO, lol neat pics!

snowshoveler
09-09-2013, 05:34 PM
Its just incredable that a D6 can pull that much iron and live.
When you think about it ,they outpull what they weigh.
I guess the rails are smooth and the Cat has very good traction.
Good job for a Cat Train expert.
Regards Chris
PS KoO I might swipe your pics and show them to Pops, he will be sad to see another line leave but happy to see your Cat at work.

monserandsons
09-09-2013, 07:54 PM
That is awsome!

Sasquatch
09-09-2013, 08:35 PM
Great pics, KoO. Love seeing the old Cats still out there getting the real work done.:thumb: It's a shame those camera crews don't follow you around all year, it would definitely make for some good TV.:pop2:

King of Obsolete
09-09-2013, 09:22 PM
Old 3T lover -- some of the rocks will get scooped up and the rest will just grow over.

dpendzic -- yes lots of labour involved and the rail is going for salvage and the not so good stuff is going for scrap.

ROME/KG -- thansk, after 5 miles of this i'll be glad not to see a rail for a long time, lol.

snowshoveler -- go ahead and share my pictures. thatis why i take them so everyone can enjoy my life.

monserandsons -- thansk

Toby Nelson -- i wish the film crew was here because there is good film footage when you get the cat under full load dragging rail.

i went out after supper to pull some rails. i also serviced the cat this afternoon because the cat had worked 2 days in a row and needed love. so here are some more great pictures and of course the outhouse seat that is for tools.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

Rome K/G
09-10-2013, 07:26 PM
KoO do you have to grease the slide bar for the tracks for summer operation or does cheese wiz work well lol?

King of Obsolete
09-16-2013, 11:34 AM
10 days later i'm still pulling rail. we have figured it out that that 11 length of rail equals 28,000lbs and it slides nicely and the cat has no problem when the going gets tough. the fun part is crossing the bridge at mile 180. the bridge gives a new meaning to pucker power, lol.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

snowshoveler
09-16-2013, 02:46 PM
Love the pictures.
Nice to see how shiny the pads get running in the ballast.
Good too see the Cat earning a living .
Regards Chris

old-iron-habit
09-16-2013, 03:21 PM
What the heck is that long white ribbon in picture 3. I hope you did not lose the toilet paper going over the bridge. LOL. Great photos and great scenery to.

Old 3T lover
09-16-2013, 07:41 PM
Bridges and pucker power...LOL...I crashed in a couple of wooden bridges in my day. It's a big thrill to ride one down.

The old straight drive dozers you could tie a twine to the clutch and steering clutches and drive them across a bridge like driving a 2 horse wagon, if the bridge wasn't to long. Was on a long wooden bridge once and the cleats on one side hit in the middle of the boards and the cleats on the other side went in the crack between the boards. By the time I got to the middle of the bridge it was swinging from side to side so bad that I jumped off and ran to the other side and waited for the dozer. I didn't care what happened to the dozer just as long as I wasn't on it when it happened.

The things we've done to make a dollar.

Inter674
09-16-2013, 09:43 PM
crossing that bridge look like fun - my stomach went into my mouth just at the mere thought of keeping the machine in a straight line and not looking down while dragging tons of rail:)

snowshoveler
09-17-2013, 09:18 AM
I was telling my father about the rail line scrapping and he quickly told me about the rail.
Some of it is worth very good money depending on where its made.
The lines that were torn out here had a few pieces of steel from the Sydney mill and were kept aside and sold to Gillette the razor blade maker. Seems this is very good for them.
Might look at a few of them KoO and ckeck it out.
Regards Chris

King of Obsolete
09-21-2013, 10:16 PM
just a quick reply tonight. the d6 9u known as The Hood is still going 10 days later pulling rail. one string of rails is averging 30,000lbs in weight which is not bad for a 63 year old machine.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

catskinner
10-01-2013, 08:50 PM
What is the weight of the rail? You weigh rail by the yard. 136 rail weights 136 # per yard. RR are using quite a bit of 141 # rail, 141 #s per yard. The number will be marked on the side of the rail along with other info. catskinner