PDA

View Full Version : The Glenn Family Christmas Tree

Bill Glenn
12-17-2006, 06:50 PM
The Glenn Family Christmas TreeÖ

Isnít it beautiful!?!? LOL

A 15 year old artificial unit thatís holding up as good as that tractor outside the window LOL

And you thought this was going to be something OFF TOPIC didnít you

LOL LOL

HotRod
12-17-2006, 07:03 PM
Very nice Bill. But where is Reggie :confused:
All the best for the festive season. Rod.

bernie
12-17-2006, 07:31 PM
Hi Bill-Beautiful flowers too. Do I see at least one African Viloet and a few geraniums? I am no expert, but I do know the African Violets are not the easiest to keep alive. Especially this time of year.

I enjoy you photos-

bernie

gwhdiesel75
12-18-2006, 05:55 AM
Bill, I'm surprised that you don't have Christmas lights on your D2. GWH

Manx Kat
12-18-2006, 02:54 PM
We have all seen plenty of pics of that D2 how about deleteing them to make room for OM's undercarridge info. 10 is enough pictures of any one cat once it is restored.
Just a thought as to how we might be able to get valuable info on here that lots of us NEED! As far as I'm concerned Mack trucks can all go to if they are stopping the posting of valuable service data.

D.K. in S.K.

King of Obsolete
12-18-2006, 03:17 PM
hey bill you forgot to add snow to the picture to get the real feel of xmas, LOL

thansk

3512B
12-18-2006, 11:07 PM
Max Cat,
I see you point it just like how many times do we have to see the question about what spark plug you need in a D2. Some of us that are on it board all the time can say we get sick of seeing that to, BUT! How many NEW people check this board and all of it is NEW!
Yes we need the technical data. I work for a Cat dealer and I have a hard time getting it on this older equipment.

But I like Bills D2! And I want to thank Bill for posting them. It adds interests to the board. Just like KOO adventures, I hope it inspires some people on their projects. Bill does a lot for the old iron community, It an example of families being involved in a hobby. (I always wanted to crash one of those campfire cook outs!)Not just a bunch of over weight bald headed old farts kicking a set of tracks. (Yes you know who you are!)

I hope more people will have a D2 in their front yard.

I know if I ever get a front, yard mine going to be there!

Letís figure out how we can get more pictures on the board and keep Bills D2s pictures!
And an index for the technical data.

Now Bill if you and get a picture of Reggie taking a leak on Cummins Gen set
You make my Christmas!

Steve 3512B (who will be a lot closer to the North Pole than most of you on Christmas

Manx Kat
12-19-2006, 03:52 PM
3512B I am one of those new people on here. And as you said how many times does a person need to to read about spark plugs for a D2. I think you made my point better then I did myself. Likewise how often does a person need to see pictures that are indistinguishable one from another. Even if it were the hope diamond after you see it from 30 feet 10 times you know about all you ever will seeing it from that point. Pictures of works in progress with each showing something different makes the posting of them worthwhile.
I feel that at times some posters slip into a bit of MY BABY syndrome like new parents with a baby taking picture after picture almost indistinguishable from each other because this is the most important thing in their lives at the time.

My point being that IF this is the reason others can't get tech stuff posted perhaps it would benefit all users if posting of near exact copies of the same subject were minimized.

Check my post on what would you like to see on this BB I am offering a suggestion of what I hope might be a way of letting more tech stuff be posted.

D.K. in S.K.

Bill Glenn
12-19-2006, 06:25 PM
Ok, I read it loud & clear...
"Pictures of works in progress with each showing something different makes the posting of them worthwhile"
Sorry for all those digging, plowing, pulling, pushing & general Caterpillar operating pictures over the years.
Now where did I put those pictures of when I changed the spark plug "boot" on the pony.
sigh....

3512B
12-19-2006, 07:06 PM
Manx
Yes I see your point, but when I log on after work (and some times while at work), I been looking and figuring 10 to 12 hr a day at specs and broken machine. I use to look at picture at naked women, now as I gotten older and have smarten up I like to look at old and rebuilt bulldozers. Bill and others pictures inspire me that some day when I regather all my toys mine will look as good. (Stephen you havenít ebayed my lathe yet I hope!)Not everybody is rebuilding a dozer. (Mine 50562 miles away under a tarp and I hoping my tenets havenít sold the tracks for scrap!}
What I am saying is we need room for both.

We need information we need fun!

Bills and other pictures and stories are fun. We need others to add to them. Plus we need to go over again and again what spark plug you use on a pony motor. Because the person who is asking the question mite be new. Heck they mite not even know what a spark plug is! We need to hold their hands and make them feel comfortable posting question here.
It intimating to post a picture or to respond to a post or even post. Look how many views to a subject and how many people do post something.
I appreciate you comment about the technical posting. But we donít want to discourage people from contributing.
Someone mite see Bills picture of the Christmas tree and dozer then maybe he will post a picture of his out in a snow bank . And know something most of us donít know. And after the ice has been broken they have the courage to post he will have information to add. We donít want to discourage this. the old timers arenít getting younger; we need to encourage them to come out of the wood work and leave their story

I donít answer a lot of question here because the iron I work on Makes electricity or pushes a boat. I done my best to forget how to put on a set of tracks (The pads go which way?) or rebuild a transmission, cause if my boss thinks I remember how I be doing it and that too much like really having to work for a living. (Make you ignorance work for you I say!) And I am too old ugly and beat up to be doing that!

I tried to add to this board with pictures and stories form my travels around the world.
Not too many people have seen a 2 million lb drill rig paddle across the arctic or Penguins roosting under an old D4.
This is how I add to the board.

We have just have to keep hammering on them and they will come up with more room on the server and all will be well. After all it is only computer hard drive space after all and our good friends in China are making more of that every day!
Best
Steve

Joe_Black
12-19-2006, 08:10 PM
Folks, here's the news: Server space isn't an issue. Individual posting limits are to address abuse and system management, plain and simple. Yes, if everyone could post as much as they wanted we could likely run out of space no matter how big the server was. But posting limits are on the vast majority of forums out there and they work without issue.

Now I understand many are having problems posting and some can upload a few pictures and max out while other post bunches. Everyone has the same limit, but how you format your pictures is what makes the difference. We're going to be adding additional info and links to help those that aren't photo-gurus, and for those that are go ahead and share your hints-n-tips to help others out.

As for reference and such, y'all aren't going to have to bear the brunt of hosting that for others. We're working on getting that info into an area separate from your upload queue.

But please be patient, this is very much a work in progress as to the refining of features and settings. The primary concern was to get a stable forum and website in place to develop and grow. We still have a lot of stragglers from the old site and that has proven a monumental task for the past month. But we're gettin' there! :)

And now back to Bill & Reggie with Christmas already in progress...

Manx Kat
12-19-2006, 08:48 PM
Please understand I have no intention of offending anyone. I just went through every post of Bills to see all the pictures he has posted on this site.
There are 7 taken of the right side of the D2 all from about the same distance. There is only one of it pushing some dirt. This is what I mean by nearly identical, no close ups, none of the left side. None of the restoreation if in fact any of the work was done by Bill.
If there are more pictures of this D2 they do not show up when I look at all the posts I can find on this BB.by Bill Glenn.
I am NOT a computer guru as many of you are. Nobody has yet told me if posting pictures by one person affects how many someone else can post.
What do you think of my suggestion of those of us who will not be posting any pictures being allowed to assign those allowances to others we feel would
use them to post info. we can use?

D.K. in S.K.

Pat in WI
12-20-2006, 06:54 AM
Manx Cat,

Your points are well taken. And I believe Joe has explained about all of us having individual limits on posting.

Many of us have already restored our tractors and now enjoy them with friends and family at shows or at home. We like to stay in touch with other members and share our stories and outtings. I have done the same with my TEN. So I guess we end up using our storage or bandwidth with lots of pictures of not so detailed, usable pictures. But they still mean a lot to many members who have forged friendships on this board. It is just another aspect of having a BB over a newsletter or magazine to which we could not do the same thing.

Just my opinion, but even if Bill did none of the work on that beautiful D2, it would not matter to me, nor should it matter to anyone else. The fact that he and his family enjoy the old equipment as much as they do, just reinforces why we are all here!

I have posted over the years many pictures of my restoration. I doubt any of them have migrated to this new site. But they can be posted again, if a question were asked. I think Bill would gladly post any old pictures he has too.

I guess my point is that if you want pictures of some area of a tractor to help in your own restoration, just ask! Otherwise those of us that have already been through that stage, wouldn't ordinarily post our old restoration pictures just to do so.

BILL,

DON'T you dare stop posting your wonderful pictures of everyday life around that precious piece of heavy metal and your furry best friend Reggie. Many of us totally enjoy your total involvement of this old iron.

No hard feeling DK in SK, just my opinion. Hope you have a great Holiday Season! Keep your posts coming as well!

ccjersey
12-20-2006, 11:24 AM
Bill,
Good to see the Christmas tree up already. My family has always been a "real" tree bunch and since we live in cedar country, that always involved a King of Obsolete type trek out to find the perfect tree just a few days before Chrismas eve. Lots of holiday "discussions" over picking that tree and plenty of mechanical and mud disasters too.

Marriage can do strange things, and after one or two of those tree expeditons, and after the worst "stuck on the back of beyond and had to walk out miles to get help", my wife decided to assert her family's tradition and get an artificial tree and put it up just after Thanksgiving or at least by the first week of December.

This year to try to limit he high octane effect of the decorated tree on the younger children, we are holding off until a little closer to Christmas eve. Pressure is building I can tell you.

I've put a few CAT related items on the checkbook throughout the year, so I don't expect to find any under the tree, but there's always hope.

Manx Kat
12-20-2006, 03:21 PM
Just so you know Joe Blacks post was posted while I was writing the one that is right below his. I did not have that info. when I wrote mine it does explain how this picture posting works. That it does not matter how many pictures one person posts it does not affect the next person. Just that some seem to get a much bigger allowance than others.

Also I do now realize how stupid I was to beleive that the main purpose of this website was for the exchange of info. concerning recovery, restoration,and preservation of old caterpillar equipment. I wiil do my best to remember that.

My apolagies to any I offended.

Pat in WI
12-20-2006, 04:58 PM
Manx Cat,

No offense taken. One of the biggest problems with the typed word is that you never know the tone of the persons voice or the facial expressions that determine a persons true nature of thier inquiry.

We have all asked questions with genuine interest or concern and have been jumped on by someone else that maybe mis-interpreted the true nature of our interest.

Welcome to our wacky electronic world.

We're glad your apart of this board!

Walt D7-3T
12-20-2006, 05:46 PM
Manx Cat,

No offense taken. One of the biggest problems with the typed word is that you never know the tone of the persons voice or the facial expressions that determine a persons true nature of thier inquiry.

We have all asked questions with genuine interest or concern and have been jumped on by someone else that maybe mis-interpreted the true nature of our interest.

Welcome to our wacky electronic world.

We're glad your apart of this board!

It is interesting what Pat says about "facial expressions" and such. Many, years ago, on a previous version of this BB, Pat had posted a photo of the rear end housing of the Cat he was working on (restoring). In the photo there was a lot of rusty looking stuff. I posted a question asking if that was rust or some form of lubricant or something else. Well, the interesting part of this post is to describe how someone else took (misunderstood) the question. That person thought I was being a cheap skate (to put it politely) and was worried about the cost of new bearings (I was not). He accused me of being so "tight assed" that I could take a lump of coal and make a diamond by putting it between my ass cheeks.:eek: Boy did he go far astray. ;) It was also interesting that several others on the BB jumped all over that guy for accusing me of such cheapness.:D

Bottom line is that there are some that do jump to conclusions and miss the real intent of a post. It just happens because we all are different of others and sometime we do "miss the boat", so to speak.

Sign me as "diamond Walt" (ha ha):o

Pat in WI
12-21-2006, 05:13 AM
Walt D7-3T,

I remember that. I just wish the procedure he accused you of, would actually work. We would all be rich men by now! :D

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Manx Kat
12-21-2006, 05:14 PM
Walt be sure to let me know if you get that process perfected.:p :p Just think of all the CATS we coud own with the price of diamonds what it is.;) ;) :D And just watch some guys turn purple with jelousy. Those purple faces would be worth posting pictures of.:p

D.K. in S.K.

STEPHEN
12-24-2006, 06:27 PM
Steve P, I sure didn't know you were a poet/philosopher. Who woulda thunk it!. And no,,,, I still have your treasures safe. I am close to getting the crane installed!!! lots of work done yesterday & today.

iceman
12-25-2006, 02:09 AM
Hi Steve,

I enjoyed reading your comments there mate, a lot of sense spoken!!

I am a new member and your comments have certainly inspired me to contribute more, although I do not have much technical advise to offer as I am just an operator:confused: I think variety is the spice of life, and there seems to be a good variety of topics being covered here.

I really don't know why I never joined up years ago, I have often visited as a guest when the old board was running.

Keep up the good work everyone.

Merry Christmas

From

Nick. "Iceman" ;)

Neil D
12-25-2006, 10:09 AM
Bill you keep on posting those photos cos it makes my day reading and looking at your posts!!!! Someday I will be in Boston visitng my brother and if I find out where you live...well lets say You better hope Reggie is a good guarddog as well.....,Hmmm I wonder,could I sneak the D2 on as hand luggage!!!!! LOL
You guys all have a good christmas

Neil

rvopata
12-29-2006, 11:15 AM
if memory serves me right bill had numerous photos of his complete rebuild of the d2 on the old board 2 or 3 yrs.ago and i found them quite interesting and insightful,by the way bill i loved the white cat lab coat.LOL rudy

Bill Glenn
12-29-2006, 06:32 PM
Rudy,
Yes you are correct. My tractor was a COMPLETE rebuild. I'm going to post that old white lab coat picture on a new post. We'll see if it gets some negative or positive reviews. Hey... it's only MEGA BYTES. LOL

Brian Mann
01-05-2007, 11:49 AM
Bill and Regie have done more for this site than most of the rest of us. I for one think it's guys like Bill who actually took his D2 apart made new parts and put it back together again (alone, that's by himself) vs. letting it set in the yard and continue to rust away with all the rest of them, that inspire us to do what we do. Sure we can all cruse the site for spec's and data but I'd rather cruse with the Regmiester anytime. If I need specs I know where to go on the net to find them. Remember this is a forum, it's OK to take your specific issue off line and get lost in the details. Go ahead post pictures of your machinery I'd love to see them.;) Reggie, make sure Bill dosent loose his camera.