PDA

View Full Version : Bellows Seals for D5 3B5751

Tom Madden
12-03-2013, 10:14 AM
I am looking for Bellow Seals for a D5 project (9M 25) I am doing. My D5 parts book says that 3B5751 is the correct part number. I cannot find those Bellows through Machinery Trader Parts or through several calls to aftermarket parts dealers. Cat said that 5H 0425 was the correct new number for the Bellows but those Bellows are about 1/2 inch too large in diameter to fit.

Does someone have the current(or last known) part number update for the 3B5751 Bellows Seal and does anyone have 4 of these for my project.

Thank you. Tom Madden

Old Magnet
12-03-2013, 10:40 AM
Shows 3B5751 RPB 5H3117 = 2H4061 or 2B8049

Regal shows these numbers at $107.97 ea.

Tom Madden
12-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Old Magnet., thanks for all you do for all of we collectors. I called Regal and unfortunately they do not have any in stock and they have not had any since 2008.

If any of you collectors out there know where I can get my hands of 4 of the 3B5751--5H3117--2H4061--2B8049 Bellows Seals for my D5 project I would appreciate it very much.

Thank you. Tom Madden

Old Magnet
12-03-2013, 12:36 PM
Well, that's not good news as those seals are used in everything from 4G,7J and 2T up to s/n 8269. Guess we're stuck with used which shouldn't be to hard to find.

chriscokid
12-03-2013, 12:51 PM
Can you not repair the old ones by epoxying some EPDM material to them until you can find something better.

Jim Davis
12-03-2013, 01:30 PM
Can you not repair the old ones by epoxying some EPDM material to them until you can find something better.

Wouldn't cyanoacrylate (super glue) be bettter, considering how permanently it sticks to rubber and neoprene?

I once replaced the entire bellows material with leather that I cut and sewed into place. It worked for the several years I had the machine after that.

Tom Madden
12-03-2013, 05:12 PM
Guys:

The rubber portion is completely deteriorated on the set I have. I have had one response that is promising on a good used set of 2 that I am waiting a final inspection from a friend and fellow ACMOC member and I have had another offer that may materialize.

I hope that someone who is reading this has a few on a shelf and would be willing to sell/trade them.

Thanks for all of the responses so far.

Old Magnet
12-03-2013, 07:05 PM
Did you try www.tractorparts.com? At least they show the number is active.

Tom Madden
12-05-2013, 04:14 PM
OM, thanks for the suggestion. General Gear does not have any of the bellows either, but they do have an interesting fix. They say that if you use a TD 9 bellows (same OD and ID as the Cat) and make a spacer of 5/16th thickness of the same OD and ID as the bellows and bond all together that you will have a great fix. They say they have several early D4's in the USA and OZ who have used this and appear to be working well.

Have any of the the ACMOC members here used this method? If yes, are they holding without leaking and how long has the fix been in place.

Thank you.

Old Magnet
12-05-2013, 10:36 PM
Have not heard of the TD9 fix. I'd hold out and try to find some of the original all metal bellows type that have the replacement seal washers.

Tom Madden
12-05-2013, 11:15 PM
OM--agreed. Thanks for all of your guidance.

STEPHEN
12-05-2013, 11:28 PM
Have not heard of the TD9 fix. I'd hold out and try to find some of the original all metal bellows type that have the replacement seal washers.

I wonder when they quit with the brass bellows and went rubber? My 5U has the metal type & they seem fairly sturdy. I have taken a part a small number of 5U's and haven't seen any more metal bellows.

Tom Madden
02-08-2014, 12:58 PM
A huge thank you to Garlic Pete for coming through with 4 perfect used bellows for my D5 project. We can now button up the back end of the D5 and move on to finishing up the engine.

Thanks again Pete.:thumb::wave:

rax200
02-08-2014, 03:48 PM
Tom
I have the same problem that the seals have gone in my RD4 (this is caused by failed bearings) so took the bellows into a place called RENSEAL in Dandenog, Vic, Aust. and they made a new set out of cork (they will do Neoprene), i have included some photo,s If you or anyone else need more info let me know

Daryl
RD4 4368

Garlic Pete
02-09-2014, 09:03 AM
Glad to help out, Tom.

Never look to closely at a gift. What I got out the deal is free labor from Rick to pull the brand new sprockets from the junker. Instead of getting melted down and sent to China, they'll now live to help another restoration. Anyone need a matched set of brand new 4G sprockets?

Thanks Rick, for doing the hard work. I'm really sorry I didn't connect with you to buy you lunch or dinner. I hope you did poke around and check out the junk pile while you were here.

Pete.

STEPHEN
02-09-2014, 12:44 PM
Glad to help out, Tom.

Never look to closely at a gift. What I got out the deal is free labor from Rick to pull the brand new sprockets from the junker. Instead of getting melted down and sent to China, they'll now live to help another restoration. Anyone need a matched set of brand new 4G sprockets?

Thanks Rick, for doing the hard work. I'm really sorry I didn't connect with you to buy you lunch or dinner. I hope you did poke around and check out the junk pile while you were here.

Pete.

Pete, I sent you either a email or a PM, thanks

Mike Meyer
02-10-2014, 02:58 PM
Tom
I have the same problem that the seals have gone in my RD4 (this is caused by failed bearings) so took the bellows into a place called RENSEAL in Dandenog, Vic, Aust. and they made a new set out of cork (they will do Neoprene), i have included some photo,s If you or anyone else need more info let me know

Daryl
RD4 4368

Thanks for posting that info rax200, I have a old D4 that will need seals one day.
regards
Mike

dpendzic
02-10-2014, 03:21 PM
I don't understand---how can metal or cork work as a folded neoprene bellows?--is it by different diameters that slide into each other? :noidea:

Old Magnet
02-10-2014, 03:30 PM
The cork or neoprene is just the replaceable sealing material that is attached to the metal bellows and runs on the fixed hardened sealing washer.

Later and some aftermarket units used a rubber/neoprene bellows replacement.

dpendzic
02-10-2014, 07:45 PM
Ok--thanks-so is the folded rubber bellows part replaceable? When i pulled mine the spring blew the bellows part apart

Old Magnet
02-10-2014, 09:45 PM
No, if the rubber bellows part is shot it's time for replacement.

dpendzic
02-11-2014, 08:48 AM
Thanks OM--yes i bought a whole new seal assembly but still have the old with the ripped rubber and thought i may be able to repair it.