PDA

View Full Version : Cat 22 that "followed me home"

Peter C
12-12-2015, 02:59 PM
Erik, look what I found in Spokane as a result of your last craigs list postings. Thanks.

Here is a link to pictures on Picassa: https://picasaweb.google.com/rpm6600/2015_11_16AllCat22SpokanePhotos?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCJ7qle6h4YTIvwE&feat=directlink

The head was already redone and is still in its plastic wrap. I don't know if the radiator holds coolant yet. The left steering clutch appears to be stuck so I will be soaking it for awhile.

Since I wasn't the person who disassembled the engine, I'm sure that I will have many questions trying to assemble and reinstall it beginning with this one:
Where do these clips go? I have only found two of them. 55794

This is 1J2921W. I guess that I am diversifying my collection as my other three 22s are 2F models. I don't feel that I am doing my part by preserving history as none of my 22s seemed destined for the scrap pile.

Pete

edb
12-12-2015, 06:52 PM
Hi Pete,
nice addition.
The locks are shown in my early 22 Parts Book, being 1/2" hole by your pic., would most likely lock the engine oil pump mounting nuts to the bottom of the cyl block.
Lock Cat Part No= V-114 --computerised P/No would now be 0V0114. These hold the 2 1B4205 1/2" UNC nuts holding on said pump.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Eddie B.

Steve A
12-12-2015, 06:57 PM
The clips are a form of a fastener lock, they would go under a nut or bolt head then after the fastener is tight you use a punch to bend the tab against the side of the hex nut and the other against the part, they might be for the stands that hold the rocker arms. The modern replacement would be Loctite

chriscokid
12-12-2015, 07:43 PM
very nice pete, glad i could help.
The 1J series are more difficult to find and i am sure you will have it looking good in no time, will this one get a cab as well?

Moulding
12-13-2015, 09:21 AM
You got a grate start thare , I wish one of my buddy's would go pick up cats I need halled home . Willard is a good guy . Nice job on the fuel pump , looks better than new . Thare is lots of hard to find parts with that cat , if you don't need that mushroom top precleaner , I know a guy looking for one .lol

Peter C
12-13-2015, 02:45 PM
Eddie B and Steve A, thanks. They fit the oil pump mounting. They were kind of hidden in the parts manual and I was looking for the word clip, not lock.

Also, thanks to whoever posted sometime back a page that lists the part numbers of the bolts that are itemized by their sizes and thread. That helps me find the correct bolt when I go through the boxes of parts. That will prevent me from installing bolts that are too short and ending up at the end with a bunch that are too long!

Not sure about the cab yet, Erik. I have to get it running and painted first and I can't start on that until next summer. Yes, I'm probably going to paint this because it is mostly apart already making it easy (easier). I have lower engine side panels, Scott Flint hood doors, and track roller guards that would look out of place without paint on them. Besides, if I put the non-Cat electric starter on it, I can't put a cab on it and have it look authentic because of the battery placement. Other than that it would be a good candidate to leave in it's weathered patina (I got that word from you guys, cool!). But, I would like to build another cab and if I didn't paint it I wouldn't have to apply much paint to the cab. I could just leave it outside to weather naturally. Oh, so many decisions and so little time left.

Scott, Willard (Smitty) is a good guy but he doesn't come cheap. Aside from the fuel, I had to feed him that day...Holy cow! Funny that you should mention the pre-cleaner. That, and the fuel pump, are some of the things that first caught my eye in the pictures that the seller sent to me. I did get a nice one from Chad in Wyoming though. But I will keep you in mind.

Pete

Peter C
12-15-2015, 11:21 AM
Scott, Willard (Smitty) is a good guy but he doesn't come cheap. Aside from the fuel, I had to feed him that day...Holy cow!

Pete

After posting the above comment to Moulding, I want to make sure that it was not misunderstood. I was trying to make a joke at Smitty's expense of how expensive it is to feed him but I'm not sure that you all took it that way. He has, more than once, hauled for me and all he accepts is fuel and food. When I was visiting relatives in Salt Lake City, he asked me to pay for and bring a fuel tank back with me. He tried to pay me more than I paid for the tank. He is a stand up guy and good friend and I'm going to miss him when he retires and leaves the area.

Pete
ps. I'll try and keep my jokes to myself from now on.

Garlic Pete
12-15-2015, 11:49 AM
Don't worry, Peter C. I took it just as you meant it when you first posted. One of the best parts about this bulletin board is that we can all give and take our fair share of ribbing. Sometimes it is the only high point in my day, so don't hold back on it. It would be a boring forum if we restricted it to factual, dry discussion.

Pete.

old-iron-habit
12-15-2015, 12:55 PM
I to took it as a joke as soon as I read it. I have lots of friends like that. And some eat a lot. LOL. The more we can help each other out the better off we all are in the end.

Mike Meyer
12-15-2015, 02:07 PM
Don't worry, we all enjoyed the humor, even here in Oz.
Regards
Mike

W. SMITH
12-15-2015, 07:51 PM
I enjoy being a member of ACMOC and going to all of the shows and meeting with fellow ACMOC members. Pete is one of those great folks that I enjoy talking and working on CAT machines with. Helping someone with anything to do with our hobby is something that I enjoy to include hauling a machine back home for a friend. And for the record I kicked anorexia a long time ago : ) Willard Smith