PDA

View Full Version : D8-2U restoration

Cel
12-26-2006, 12:33 PM
Hi all
I started a thread on the old BB about our D8 restoration which I will continue here. Today we re-installed the engine and radiator, and hope to start her soon! The pony has already been started.

Can anyone tell me what oil I should use in the oil clutch? I have ordered an instruction manual but it hasn't arrived yet.
Thanks, best regards
Marcel

gwhdiesel75
12-26-2006, 03:28 PM
Cel, interesting photos. It will be a good tractor when you get it done. GWH

Old Magnet
12-26-2006, 08:43 PM
Progress looks great.
Oil clutch uses same oil as engine. 30wt was the recommended oil above freezing.

TractorDon
12-27-2006, 07:44 AM
That's going to be a fine D8, good luck on the start up. Keep us posted.:cool: Don

SeaBee Mal
12-27-2006, 08:03 PM
Great Pics. Good luck on the 2u. They were a workhorse and moved Mountains and Mountains of material. Well engineered and were real workhorses. Look forward for further update pics.
SeaBee Mal

Cel
12-28-2006, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the comments! Does anyone know where I can find the stamped 'Caterpillar' and 'D8' signs that are mounted on the side of the nose? Would like to fix those as the 'cherry on the cake' when finished.

Best regards
Marcel

bruce oz
12-28-2006, 01:38 PM
hello ,nice looking d8 ,keep the pic coming ,this site below has the pressed plate for sale ,bruce oz

http://www.tpaktopc.net/cat.htm
$20 A PAIR FROM D2 -D8
http://www.tpaktopc.net/images/plates/d7%20tin_small.jpg

gwhdiesel75
12-28-2006, 01:57 PM
Cel, ACMOC has only offered the D2 tags, I think. You might find good originals at a salvage yard. I wonder if Cat still has them (Nawwww...). GWH

Cel
02-24-2007, 01:13 PM
Well...a rather frustrating day today. Pony started right away and ran like a swiss watch. Engaged the clutch, and the main engine spinned around very well, bleeding valve open and waiting to see all the air bleeded. Oil pressure came up, and I spotted a small leak, so shut the pony down to repair. Oil leak repaired, pony did not want to start again. Had the carb and mag off for inspection, even took them apart, could not find anything wrong. Will give it another try tomorrow. My right arm feels like it is twice as long, so I decided today that I want to have an electric pony starter. Let me know if you have one, or even parts. Pictures will follow.

Best regards
Marcel

Chris B. Weilep
02-25-2007, 08:48 PM
Those older Cats used straight 30W Series 3 Motor oil. In winter if the days are below freezing you can use 10W

Avoid using multigrade oil, (LIke 15-40), in warm weather. These machines were designed with tolerances for straight weight oil. Multi grade oile gets too thin in really hot weather. Multi grade had not been invented back then. The best oil of that type I have ever used was Cenex 518. There are other makes of course, but that is the best I've run across. This is also the oil to be run in the pony crankcase and transmission as well as the main back bevel gear case and main transmission. High grade Series 3 oil in all compartments except the final drives is what Cat recomended. 80-90W for the finals

Hope this helps

Chris

Chris B. Weilep
02-25-2007, 09:11 PM
Make sure the plugs are good in the pony. Use Champion UD16 or hotter. Cross it to Autolite or AC for better plugs. I prefer AC

These old birds can be very tempremental, usually because the compression is lower because of wear. Try giving the pony air cleaner just a breath of Starting Fluid before or during cranking. Be quick on the trigger......just a VERY small amount.

Make sure the plug wires are good. New plug wires and new plugs every other year should be considered.

Be very careful with Mag cover and make sure the gasket is in one piece and in good shape. The tiniest bit of moisture will keep you cranking with no luck of starting it. Also inspect the inside of the cap for cracks. If there is ANY moisture on the inside of the cap, it won't start.

Make sure there is no crap in the line between the sediment bulb and the carb. If you're acumulating rust, take off the pony gas tank and put some nuts and washers into it and shake it to clean it. That will loosen any rust acumulated over time if the Cat has been sitting. Then flush it with solvent or gas several times and drain acumulated rust.

Hope this helps also

Chris

Cel
03-31-2007, 01:00 PM
Hi all

Chris, the mag is being reconditioned, and I've already installed new spark plugs. I hope to have the mag back next week.

I still had to replace the conical spring that holds the brake adjuster in place. While doing that I noticed this brake was very loose, so I took of the cover on the back to investigate. It turned out the bracket was broken off the brake band!:eek: So took the top cover off today and welded the bracket on. While I had the cover off anyway, I decide to have a look at the transmission and took this cover off as well. You can see in the picture that one part is missing - the shaft that connects the winch with the transmission. Luckily, I had disassembled the same winch from another D8 that we have parted out, so we'll have to take the winch off as well to fit the shaft.

Anyone knows why the bracket could have broken off? The only thing that I can imagine is that the brake was operated without releasing the steering clutch.

Hope to drive her off the lowloader within a few weeks...

Best regards
Marcel

catskinner
04-01-2007, 08:57 PM
That's just normal wear & tear. They will brake under regular use. Catskinner

Cel
04-16-2007, 01:22 PM
YEEHAW!!! Just got the D8 running! :D After some problems with the pony, and bleeding out the air, the big diesel burst into life straight away:cool: . Checked the clutch and that looks to be OK (she is still on the low loader). I will drive her off the low loader tomorrow evening, pictures will follow.
Best regards
Marcel

Stretch
04-17-2007, 07:49 AM
Congrats!!!!!

Cel
04-19-2007, 01:32 PM
Took a drive yesterday, everything is working OK, only the RH steering clutch seems to be sticking. We'll see how that will work out. Anyway, it was a great feeling driving the D8 for the first time! The blade still has to be painted before installing.

Best regards
Marcel

gwhdiesel75
04-19-2007, 08:40 PM
Cel, that is an impressive looking tractor, and a fine project to post on the bb. Thanks for sharing with us. GWH

Manx Kat
04-22-2007, 09:48 PM
Why is it that so many of you drive your old cats TOPLESS ( no hood ) ?
Even pictures of restored cats at shows lots have no hoods on. They are not fully restored without a HOOD.

D.K. in S.K.

ccjersey
04-22-2007, 10:13 PM
There's got to be a lot of reasons for no hood, but one good one is that it has to come off again whenever you need to do much to the engine, so until I think it's really done, I normally leave it off.

Of course a good hood isn't always available

catguy
04-24-2007, 03:02 PM
I hope to make my d8 2u lood that good some day. Nice picture

Cel
04-30-2007, 02:07 PM
Well, a good thing that there is no cab fitted:D as we had to pull the engine today due to a leaking sealing ring (the on that sits at the transmission input shaft). We recognized the leak after a 1 hr test run. This is typically a case of "it still looks good, so we don't change it":p Anyway, the engine removal went straight ahead, we had the hard nose and engine removed in about 4 hrs. Let's hope they have the spare sealing available.

During our test run, I got the steering clutch loose by running up a hill with the clutch disengaged. It still needs to free up a bit more, anyone has a good tip to do this without taking apart the clutch?

There will be no cab fitted on this tractor, as there was no cab on when it was delivered new to the belgian army.

Best regards
Marcel

Will D68U
05-01-2007, 05:35 AM
The little guy on the seat next to you brought back alot of good memories of riding on that wide seat next to my dad on his ol 2U well over thirty years ago. I have a scar on my forehead from falling on an ice grouser when I five years old. Cat iron has left a lot of scars since then. Good job always good to breathe new life into old iron.

will

Cel
05-05-2007, 02:12 PM
We re-installed the engine thursday evening, and dad had the hard nose mounted yesterday, so today we've done another test run. The leaks are gone, sealing rings were available, no problem.

So now we can start finishing off, the blade is painted and will be mounted soon, drivers platform is yet to be installed, and the painting of the u/c has to be completed (as you can see on the pics).

I also learned how to operate the pony (almost have to talk to it!) but it is running well now.

Will, I was exactly doing the same at the age of 4 already, riding tractor with dad. Now both my children enjoy having a ride on the wide seat of the D8!

Best regards
Marcel

SJ
05-05-2007, 03:36 PM
Cel it,s looking almost like a new one & watch the children when your moving so they won,t fall & get hurt.

Cel
05-06-2007, 01:46 PM
Thanks SJ, that wide seat will be fitted with 3 seat belts. If the children are around while I have to do something with tractor or crane, I like to have them with me on the seat, so I can keep an eye on them. If they are running around they go easily out of sight, an that can be dangerous.

Cel
08-27-2007, 02:01 PM
Hi all
I thought I should make this thread complete with some pics of the 'maiden trip'. First muck shifting that I did with the D8 after the restoration, and it felt really great! You might have seen pictures in QuAd's thread as well.
Best regards
Marcel

David Wills Cat 60
08-27-2007, 02:23 PM
Marcel,

Great pictures thanks for sharing.

Did the tractor originally have a front mounted CCU fitted?

Cel
08-29-2007, 03:01 AM
David

It was fitted with rear ccu and all the attachments when we bought it. The front plate might be from another D8? There is a piece of plate welded in where the ccu sat.

Best regards

Marcel

ol Grump
08-29-2007, 06:54 AM
Glad to see you got it all going. .it looks good.