PDA

View Full Version : Side curtains, latches Scott Flint

donsolcars
02-17-2016, 01:05 PM
I just recieved my new curtains and latches for my project frm scott flint. These are some of the nicest repo parts you will ever see. The quality is great. You will soon forget the price when you recieve the parts. We should all be thankful someone has stepped up to fill this need. Don

Old Magnet
02-17-2016, 02:06 PM
Yes, he is very fussy about his work and detail. To bad ACMOC will not allow him to advertise in the mag. Something to do with competition with an ACMOC product they don't have but might some day.

mudgecko
02-17-2016, 03:31 PM
Yes, he is very fussy about his work and detail. To bad ACMOC will not allow him to advertise in the mag. Something to do with competition with an ACMOC product they don't have but might some day.
Hello OM, if Mr Scott Flint is reproducing a product that nobody is making at the moment and it sounds like it is great quality curtains according to donsolcars wouldn't it be in ACMOC's interest and collectors and restorers to promote his product?
Not wanting to tread on any toes here it seems a bit confusing to me to why he can not advertise in the mag if nobody else is making them?
Gilbert.

Sasquatch
02-17-2016, 03:40 PM
I just recieved my new curtains and latches for my project frm scott flint. These are some of the nicest repo parts you will ever see. The quality is great. You will soon forget the price when you recieve the parts. We should all be thankful someone has stepped up to fill this need. Don

Like the saying goes, quality only stings once! I've only ever heard good reviews of his products.

Garlic Pete
02-17-2016, 04:18 PM
Actually, Old Magnet, we would welcome an advertisement from Scott in the magazine. I just checked with our publishers and as far as I can tell, we've never declined an ad from him.

I know the quality of his work is absolutely tops. Scott and I actually had a really nice conversation last year at a Chapter 17 lunch about the possibility of ACMOC partnering or supporting his efforts, if that would be helpful to him.

We actually try to follow a strategy of supporting those making reproduction and hobby supporting parts and materials. Our preference is to support and assist those already doing this, or interested in making something that isn't available. As an example, among the patterns and drawings we received from the George Logue estate are materials to make Cat Ten manifolds. We investigated making those, but found that Rosewood already offered that product, did a quality job of making and supplying them, so we chose to leave those patterns on the shelf.

I know that Scott did have some concerns with us in one area. The George Logue estate also donated a number of inventory items to us, including some engine side curtains which were for the same models that Scott produces. We felt the need to sell that inventory, as it wouldn't do the Club or any collectors any good sitting on our shelves. We sold those products at auction, advertising them our Members. We sold nearly all of that inventory that way and I felt we got pretty good value.

I know that Scott expressed some concern because a couple of the side curtains we sold went for less than he would charge for new reproductions for that same model. It was unfortunate that they went that low, but I felt that we made a good faith effort to publicize the auction and, on average, got the best value that we could for the inventory. I can understand Scott's position though, too. If I were him, I would have been unhappy that I lost a couple of potential customers to the Club, who I would expect would support my activities.

In retrospect, I guess we could have put a reserve on the items. Our problem was that there were quite a number of items, they were large, bulky and difficult to store and ship. We were also worried about loss or damage if we kept them around too long, so we decided that the auction approach was best for the Club.

I hope that if Scott would like to advertise in the magazine he will check with the office. Our rates are very reasonable, our readers are his core customers and we would really like to support his efforts.

Pete.

mudgecko
02-17-2016, 04:28 PM
Ok , thanks for clearing that up Pete, I just thought it a bit strange that the club would'nt stand behind some one in that position of reproducing parts.
Gilbrt.

juiceman
02-17-2016, 05:24 PM
I bought some curtains that Scott manufactured also. I was so pleased with the quality, that I decided to order more. Yes, it is a bit pricey, but his product is of excellent quality. He will be supplying me with his craftsmanship unless somebody has better stuff! He has been more than helpful in getting me my sheetmetal items. I am surprised there hasn't been an article profiling him. He has been beneficial to many of the club members.

Old Magnet
02-17-2016, 05:49 PM
GP,
That's just not the way I heard it. If all was as you say I'm sure he would be advertising as that's been his only advertising other than word of mouth.

WyoCat
02-17-2016, 07:49 PM
I too have bought and recieved a couple of side curtains sets from Scott. They are very nice. I know Scott spent countless hours and a lot of money getting the louvers cut and punched in to be exactly like the originals. I helped get him dimensions for the unique differences for the high TEN curtians.

As for what's been said or done, that's a mute point. It sounds like Scott has a wide open invite to start advertising. The only thing stopping him is him. It really is that simple.

I even offered to put pictures of his curtains on my website a couple of years ago with a call for pricing and availability in the description along with his name and number. That offer is still open as well. Scott, please call if you are interested.

hiwide 15
02-17-2016, 08:03 PM
I also have some of Scott's curtains and they are first class. I would encourage him to advertise in the acmoc sites and mag Ron

JoeWestfall
02-19-2016, 01:34 PM
Hello everyone,
Yes Scotts work is excellent.
I got 3 sets of curtains,Cat 10,D2 5U,D2 3J plus lower engine
guards from him. I am extremely pleased with all that he did.
Right from manufacturing to packaging and shipping.
Joe W

Gregness
02-19-2016, 03:42 PM
Does Scott have a web site?

Old Magnet
02-19-2016, 03:47 PM
No web site. Spends all his time doing fabrication plus farming.

chriscokid
02-19-2016, 05:49 PM
back some time ago Scott did run an ad in the classified section for several issues, this is what his ad said:

FOR SALE: Caterpillar collector has reproduction parts for antique Caterpillars. Now in stock.
Louvered engine enclosures for the following models:
Ten, High Ten mesh summer curtains.
Caterpillar Fifteen PV, 7C, 1D. Twenty, L, PL, 8c. Twenty- Two. D2, J&U Series.
Caterpillar D4, U Series.
Caterpillar Sixty-five & others by order.

Caterpillar cast iron latches. Hoods for Tens, Fifteens & Twentys.
Caterpillar D-2 lower engine side panels, orchard fenders, down exhaust pipes, front idler covers & roller guards.
Caterpillar D4 3/8 plate fenders, fl oor plates & front idler covers.
Caterpillar tool box latches & more.
Call Scott (831) 636-8986 (CA)

Gregness
02-19-2016, 06:31 PM
Thanks, I will give him a call.

But first I think I'll have a shot of JD to prep myself for the sticker shock!

G

chriscokid
02-19-2016, 06:39 PM
no worries...it only cost a little more to go first class!

a quick search in the upper right hand corner will bring up several threads discussing scott's quality and even some post with pictures.
http://www.acmoc.org/bb/showthread.php?20803-Pictures-of-side-curtains-for-Mike-Meyer