PDA

View Full Version : LMAO...knowledge of old CAT's helping in the modern age

Hillbillybjopkr
02-20-2016, 10:52 PM
So Monday I start a new job for a small outfit in my area....I am a logger by trade.....mainly run processors.....spent my youth skinning cat logging in No. Cali...and running strokers......my new boss has 2 D6C.....one newer...has torque converter....and a older one...manual clutch with a Johnson bar.....apparently....the hooktender is confused as hell as how to run the older cat.....when I told my new boss tonight I knew about older cats and own one myself.....he was happier than a fairy in a mushroom patch.....even today...the knowledge pays off lol

ronm
02-20-2016, 11:07 PM
You don't need to use so many. :wave:

edit:I'll clarifiy......... Too.......many........of............ these......makes.....it.......hard.........as..... ..hell.......to.........read...................... .....................................

smocat35
02-21-2016, 02:29 PM
Congrats on the new job! I hope you have fun continuing to perform...... something you enjoy....... restoring a dwindling way of git-ner-dun with a Johnson bar. :juggle: The scenario you describe reminds me.......two Euc 10 yard pans my Dad owned, one with power shift.... the other direct drive....both 4-53 Driptroits. I loved skinning the power shift.....15 years old.....on a big scraper...... spending my summers building various sized agricultural ponds, and private roads. Dad also owned a DW10, and a 60 that we pulled behind a 76A D6C. I got to run everything................! None of the machines since........the modern machines I have today........compare to the sweet smell of the 76A DPM(look it up), and the low tones, turbo music, from a straight smoker pipe, when she opened up under a load.
One of the joys of wisdom, school of hard knocks, old school as my son says.......is pulling off something someone else hadn't imagined.........attempted for lack of understanding and trying. I suspect this hooktender you will be working with may be of this caliber. While the DD6C might not be the performer of the PS6C, it may hold its own with the right skills at the wheel, in some applications. Such is the case.....I learned early on.......Bill was an old cat skinner that worked for my Dad. God rest his soul.....he would show up before anyone else, stay after others had gone home......come in on Saturdays and turn wrenches:amen:....topic for another time. Bill could work on all types of equipment of his era.....probably had no formal education, but what do I know, he might have been an engineer. One Saturday.......there he was on top of a Euc, hands and arms pitch black up to his elbows. I had gone to the job to catch up on some dozer work and found Bill tweaking on his pan. I spent the next few hours learning how, and getting in his way as they used to tell me, to adjust the top end of a 4-53. After that day it became difficult for me to lap Bill on a haul cycle........no one ever knew how hard I tried.
I also learned the importance and value of seasoned operators. Men like Bill don't show preferences for different tasks......they may have thoughts but they don't vocalize them....they just show up and perform miracles. Your new job may afford you an opportunity to teach.......if minds are open.......improve a business by your position, lots of possibilities. I looked up a word used in the previous post, ellipsis. I have a higher education than the average bear but I didn't store this word from my assignments.....could be results of >50..... After applying the meaning to the original text.......Romn, I get your point, but I don't agree. One of the attractions to this discussion site for me is the various words and ways in which people communicate from all necks of the woods. I prefer those that text their thoughts rather than being grammatically correct......it gives the reader an added flavour. As recent and past threads have proven.......much consideration is required before one can or should reply. Hard to read is a text from my 23yr old son.......texting job information or a question. I defer to a phone call to ask what he is saying. Hey, the original post could be a pre texting form of communication......run along thoughts. My opinion isn't meant to annoy.......the real intent is to respond to.......Hillbilly........Keep us posted.:thumb:

Walt D7-3T
02-21-2016, 09:55 PM
If I may be so bold, let's not get too carried away picking on Hillbillybjopkr and his use of .....'s. I am concerned that he possibily would get embarrassed and stop posting.

So, let's go easy on his typing style, OK Guys?

ronm
02-22-2016, 09:45 AM
sorry..... ;)

ronm
02-22-2016, 09:46 AM
Hey, he's an ol' catskinner/logger! Most of them have a pretty thick skin... :wave:
Hopefully this isn't turning into the Ladies Aid Society, after the way Oil slick & Pops go at it, the rest of us should get a little slack...

7upuller
02-22-2016, 10:02 AM
Hey Ronm,

At times I wonder if I'm being too rough on OilSlick, so I consult with my wife, Mrs Huney. I asked if I should stop my behavior that I'm inflicting upon OilSlick. She gives me the Green Light, usually followed by "Don't Stop"... Hahaha...Just wanted you to know that I have a Go, full speed ahead... As for the dot dot dot thingy, I try and stop at three... Roflmao

Have a good day OilSlick... Hey, if anyone else wants to kick OilSlick around a little, I don't mind sharing...lol
Glen

Oil Slick
02-22-2016, 08:04 PM
Hey Ronm,

At times I wonder if I'm being too rough on OilSlick, so I consult with my wife, Mrs Huney. I asked if I should stop my behavior that I'm inflicting upon OilSlick. She gives me the Green Light, usually followed by "Don't Stop"... Hahaha...Just wanted you to know that I have a Go, full speed ahead... As for the dot dot dot thingy, I try and stop at three... Roflmao

Have a good day OilSlick... Hey, if anyone else wants to kick OilSlick around a little, I don't mind sharing...lol
Glen

Tell the truth Pops!! When you were working late the other night she told me you were to hard on me.

Gotcha!!! LMAO

Hillbillybjopkr
02-22-2016, 10:15 PM
you guys are right....I have pretty thick skin.....the dot thing...its just how I type...OCD thing hard to explain.....I don't scare that easy.....I really REALLY enjoy this site...I do spend a lot of time here reading old post...sucking up as much knowledge as I can....mind you...I have been around equipment 34 yrs...got tossed in a D6D 28 yrs ago.....I was 10 (dad was hungover bad....and I wasn't setting the chokers fast enough).....have run at one point in time damed near everything under the sun....scrapers...lots of them....compactors....more dozers than I could list...was damn good on a grader at one point...skidders (stump jumpers)..Delimbers (strokers)..which landed me into Dangle-head processors....which I love.....but dozers will always have my heart....especially the old ones.....once my lil D4 warms up when working....the aroma takes me back 15 yrs...lmao

Deas Plant.
02-23-2016, 12:27 AM
Hi, Hillbilly.
ONLY 34 years??????????? Sounds like your apprenticeship has a little way to go yet. LOL.

Just my 0.02.

ronm
02-23-2016, 08:26 AM
Hillbilly,
Congrats on the new job, & thanks for being understanding on the criticism-my excuse is my Grandma was a school teacher...

Oil Slick
02-23-2016, 08:52 AM
Most of us who have worked out in the field are thick skinned and enjoy harassing each other to make time go by faster. That's why I have to tread so lightly messing with Pops, he has no calluses, dirt under his finger nails and can barely drive an 18 speed. :-)

rmyram
03-01-2016, 12:39 PM
once upon a time harass was two words... LOL!