PDA

View Full Version : 9u D6

Valleyex
03-16-2016, 09:40 AM
I'm new here don't know what to do exactly but here goes. I have five 9u D6 dozers ranging from 1950-1957 are there any improvements that makes the 1957 better than the 1950. And can I put a dry clutch motor on a wet clutch if l use the wet clutch flywheel housing? I was told they don't enter change witch does not make sense.

Joel59
03-16-2016, 09:55 AM
Yes, you can swap an oil clutch in place of a dry clutch. I did mine. It has been a VERY worthwhile upgrade. You do have to swap out the transmission shaft however (this really isn't that difficult since you're into it this far already). Linkages, and u-joints are other notable things needed off the top of my head from the wet clutch machine.

I love my 9u and have made it a pretty "modern" tractor with the addition of direct electric start, oil clutch and blade tilt cylinder. Now if I only had grease type track adjusters!

Old Magnet
03-16-2016, 11:23 AM
Converting dry clutch to wet requires changing the flywheel housing so in answer to your question putting a dry clutch in place of wet would also require changing the flywheel housing to match the dry type. I suspect the difference is in the clutch cover bolting. Along with the transmission input shaft change it is also required to change the flywheel.

Valleyex
03-16-2016, 02:12 PM
Converting dry clutch to wet requires changing the flywheel housing so in answer to your question putting a dry clutch in place of wet would also require changing the flywheel housing to match the dry type. I suspect the difference is in the clutch cover bolting. Along with the transmission input shaft change it is also required to change the flywheel.

I have parts machine with oil clutch but the motor is shot it is a 1957.I have a new motor in a 1950 that is real straight I am contemplating putting the wet clutch in that one,that why I am trying to figure out if there would be any deference in the way they were built between 1950 and 57,the 57 isn't as straight and has been cannibalized a little.

Old Magnet
03-16-2016, 02:44 PM
There are subtle differences between the machines but if you keep the oil clutch conversion complete (two versions) they will interchange back to 9U1