PDA

View Full Version : Cat thirty orange?

Bmr
05-16-2016, 09:13 PM
Hey team
I was called out today in my service truck to a new customer. I jump in my truck get there fix what needs fixing get talking with the dad bring up caterpillar stuff he said we got this old cat sitting in our barn. What I find is a caterpillar thirty side seat all on orange. My camera phone Is broken no photos sorry. Now is this something worth going after? As far as I can see it looks all there but I know nothing about a caterpillar thirty

Thanks Jon

Texasbest
05-16-2016, 09:39 PM
Heck yes! Go for it and we need pictures

Bmr
05-17-2016, 05:39 AM
Hey team

Where do I start on price being the engine is stuck? The whole machine is orange other than the jugs so I'm assuming there's been some sort of engine work. The last time they could remember it ran was 1978. I couldn't find a serial number plate anywhere? It has one piece head I believe that's early am I correct on that?

Where do I start on price?
Engine parts?
Where do I find serial number?

Thanks Jon

Garlic Pete
05-17-2016, 08:29 AM
Side seat is the key. For a complete, barn kept regular Thirty, even with the engine stuck, around here, I'd start my offers at around $1,500. If it is a wide gauge, I might be willing to go up to $5,000 if it is in really nice original condition, complete, right magneto, right carburetor, manifolds in reasonable shape. If it is a narrow gauge, I might stop about $4,000 or I might still go up to $5,000.

The side seat and orange paint would bump up my upper limit, though. If it is really a proper and complete side seat arrangement, it is pretty rare. If it has that, it might just happen to have the grader PTO on it (the one with two PTO output shafts.) If that is the case, it would be even more valuable. The orange paint could very well have been specified by a County, that was pretty common, especially back in your area. It could also be a repaint by a County or other construction operator, too.

The one piece head is the more common, and as you correctly stated, early version of the Thirty. The Best Thirties and the Caterpillar Thirties had one piece heads up until almost the end of the production run. Right near the end they made a slightly more powerful version which had a two piece head, with each head spanning two cylinders. Those are fairly low production numbers and somewhat more desirable than the basic, one piece head Thirties.

If I were you, I'd run back up there quick with a working camera and get us all the pictures you can. I'd take a pocket full of cash, too. A stuck Thirty is generally pretty easy to handle. They're simple, easy to get to the engine, including pulling it completely apart if necessary, and the side seat attachment and long term barn storage story bode well for this tractor.

If you don't go after it, you'd better pass it along to a good friend. That one needs to be in circulation and at shows.

Pete.

old-iron-habit
05-17-2016, 08:32 AM
Hey team
I was called out today in my service truck to a new customer. I jump in my truck get there fix what needs fixing get talking with the dad bring up caterpillar stuff he said we got this old cat sitting in our barn. What I find is a caterpillar thirty side seat all on orange. My camera phone Is broken no photos sorry. Now is this something worth going after? As far as I can see it looks all there but I know nothing about a caterpillar thirty

Thanks Jon

Hi Jon,
Me thinks your would get in trouble is you drag another home so soon. You better tell me where this one is and save you that butt chewing. Just kidding. Go for it.
Roger

Bmr
05-17-2016, 04:20 PM
Hey team

I thank you both for your information about this cat.
The plan is to run down there tomorrow morning with a working photo taker and hopefully get this thing paid for wish me luck. This is the same small town where I found my wife's D2 3J orchard with bishop fenders

Thanks again Jon

Bmr
05-19-2016, 06:39 AM
Hey team

I went back spoke with the owner some more he told stories of his grandfather buying this cat brand new farming with. I could tell from talking with him he wasn't read to let it go just yet. He did allow me to take photos of his cat after removing year of clutter I took a few for shearing.

Thanks Jon

old-iron-habit
05-19-2016, 07:44 AM
Sounds like it is not going to end up in China anyway. Maybe you could introduce him to ACMOC and hopefully when he finds out there is help out here he will become inspired to get it running and show it. Being stored inside is a huge help. It would be a great machine to have out and about at the shows. Of course, it goes without saying, don't tell him that he will probably get yellow fever.

Garlic Pete
05-19-2016, 12:10 PM
Man, bmr, your camera is as bad as my phone camera was when it was all scratched up from carrying it in my pocket!

This is very enticing. I think you need to do as old-iron-habit suggested, cultivate this relationship, get him introduced to us and get him taking this to shows. I've worked with guys like this, helping them with their machines and even fixing and hauling them myself to get them involved.

That machine looks really good. I'm having a really hard time with the photos, but I sure see something in picture five that looks like a PTO on the back. It sure could be a grader power control unit, especially given the side seat. I'd be looking at that carefully, preferably go back with a much better camera and get pictures. You'll want to stay really friendly with this guy, whether or not it has the power control on it, because this is a really nice tractor and either he needs to get excited about it, or know that you're his new best friend and you're excited about it.

Pete.

Neil
05-19-2016, 02:08 PM
Looks like it'll need some help from Byron too. That crack across the manifold looks gigantic (unless it's the camera?)

Claney
05-19-2016, 07:52 PM
Bmr....it looks like the instruction plate is on the rear of the left fender... The serial number should should be stamped on it.. This will tell you what year it was built.

Good luck on your adventure

C u............Claney

Bmr
05-19-2016, 08:46 PM
Hey team

Thanks to everyone's advice. Yes that caterpillar has a PTO on it there's a belt pulley sitting in the other shed for it in a wooden crate with some other parts. When I spoke with the owner I offed him a sizable amount of green he told me I don't need money it's the sentimental value. I then offered my help shop semi he than asked me what's in it for me I told him just let it live again and enjoy a great cat what else can I do??????????

Then he showed me a Adams number 12 grader sitting in the scrap heap guess what NOT FOR SALE! I did buy a number 25 cletrac from him please don't juge me it's on tracks right?

Thanks again Jon

Neil
05-20-2016, 06:32 AM
I think you're doing a great job Jon. Convincing the old geezer that it's about seeing this equipment live on instead of rotting away is what it's all about for me. Keep it up!

Garlic Pete
05-20-2016, 09:08 AM
You're doing the right thing the right way, bmr. I'd be proud to have a Cletrac 25, too. The fact that he sold that shows that he's not completely one of those "let it rot in my yard rather than anyone else have it." guys. Keep being friendly and encouraging. It sounds like there is lots of good stuff out there and whether it is owned by him or you, it'll be better to be out in circulation and enjoyed by all than hidden away where no one sees it. What better homage to his Father?

Pete.

1tysondog
05-31-2016, 09:39 PM
Pulled this unit from my back barn,.. Debating about restoring it60889,..
The orange paint confused me,. It does have what appears to be a aftermarket blade ,. And hydraulic system on it,..

mrsmackpaul
05-31-2016, 10:11 PM
nice little crawler and blade

Paul

and welcome to the forum

1tysondog
05-31-2016, 10:51 PM
Thank you,..

1tysondog
05-31-2016, 11:01 PM
I also have a rd4 I'm thinking about selling,..it is also out in the back barn,..

Bmr
09-13-2018, 07:35 PM
Hi team
It's been a time since I've posted anything well after all your guys advice about playing nice my family and I own this side seat 30. It took some work to make it make thirty sounds again witch I'd do again for a tractor like this.

Again thanks to everyone here on this BB for there knowledge and advice
Tractor serial number PS5808

Thanks Jon

Bruce P
09-13-2018, 08:18 PM
Very cool!! Good job being patient, it can really pay off!!

BP.

Rodten
09-14-2018, 07:05 AM
Very cool one there. I would go back and take a better look at that Adams grader, if it has the pro shafts it needs to stay with the 30. This 30 is rarer than hen's teeth and even has straight fenders. Heck my cold weather package 30 with belt drive doesn't even have straight fenders. Good luck on getting in running and hope to see it at shows.

Rodten

old-iron-habit
09-14-2018, 02:04 PM
Good to see you back on the board. We need folks like you. I took a real good look at your Thirty during the HCEA show in LeSeur. It is a real nice machine. I wasn't even envious until Sasquatch told me he got to take it for a stroll. At least he was nice enough to not pound on his chest in front of me. :high5: :high5: :high5:

Sasquatch
09-14-2018, 03:56 PM
Roger, I couldn't find a pounding-chest emoji in the list so this will just have to do...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nxSuYJUvNNo

seiscat
09-14-2018, 04:24 PM
Great story Bmr, way to go. Here's the pics righted.
78019 78018 78020
Craig

Neil
09-14-2018, 08:32 PM
I would have thought that the steering would have been to the side as well. With my D2's steering renewed and the seat not far enough back, it's quite a hard pull to disengage the clutches. I can't imagine doing it all day long to the left side.

Bmr
09-15-2018, 07:29 PM
Very cool!! Good job being patient, it can really pay off!!

BP.

Bruce thank you it's a fun tractor but it feels very strange to run

Bmr
09-15-2018, 07:30 PM
I would have thought that the steering would have been to the side as well. With my D2's steering renewed and the seat not far enough back, it's quite a hard pull to disengage the clutches. I can't imagine doing it all day long to the left side.

Neil the steering clutches pull easily on this car not sure why but they do

Bmr
09-15-2018, 07:36 PM
Great story Bmr, way to go. Here's the pics righted.
78019 78018 78020
Craig
Seiscat it was and still is a fun trip with this tractor we now own it best of all we made life long friend with this tractor short story we bought this tractor 2 weeks before there families 150 year family farm they had one hard time letting it go my family and i got running in 20 days the engine was stuck badly and number 2 rod bearing was beaten outta it

Bmr
09-15-2018, 07:38 PM
Roger, I couldn't find a pounding-chest emoji in the list so this will just have to do...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nxSuYJUvNNo
Toby again thanks for taking our tractor for a stroll

Bmr
09-15-2018, 07:41 PM
[QUOTE=old-iron-habit;212755]Good to see you back on the board. We need folks like you. I took a real good look at your Thirty during the HCEA show in LeSeur. It is a real nice machine. I wasn't even envious until Sasquatch told me he got to take it for a stroll. At least he was nice enough to not pound on his chest in front of me. :high5: :high5: :high5:[/QUOTE

Roger I'll be around more often on here water is clear as glass now. Keep up your hard work getting young people being able to play you know how I feel you've got my support

Bmr
09-15-2018, 07:49 PM
Very cool one there. I would go back and take a better look at that Adams grader, if it has the pro shafts it needs to stay with the 30. This 30 is rarer than hen's teeth and even has straight fenders. Heck my cold weather package 30 with belt drive doesn't even have straight fenders. Good luck on getting in running and hope

Rodten

Rodten tractor was bought new by family in 1929 delivered by rail roaded 12 miles home never left until we bought it came with PTO belt pulley I put the cold weather package stuff on it

Bmr
09-15-2018, 07:54 PM
Heck yes! Go for it and we need pictures

Texasbest as you suggested I went for it and got it this tractor is my first now running 30 we love it I've cut 4 our hay fields with this tractor since getting it running

Bmr
09-15-2018, 08:03 PM
You're doing the right thing the right way, bmr. I'd be proud to have a Cletrac 25, too. The fact that he sold that shows that he's not completely one of those "let it rot in my yard rather than anyone else have it." guys. Keep being friendly and encouraging. It sounds like there is lots of good stuff out there and whether it is owned by him or you, it'll be better to be out in circulation and enjoyed by all than hidden away where no one sees it. What better homage to his Father?

Pete.

First off mr. Bloom where are your crazy adventure story's question submitted.
After we bought this tractor had it running in 20 days long nights we took it back to their farm where myself and a inlaw on there side thought there was gonna be pitchers of the hole family because of farming on the same farm for 150 years I sent my wife in there as a news paper person as my 2 boys unloaded tractor down there dirt path off went my boys into there photo shoot tears omg I can't believe this was all we heard we now have life long friends

Bmr
09-15-2018, 08:05 PM
If I missed anyone on a reply I'm sorry. Keep up the great work on here

Again thanks Jon