PDA

View Full Version : New member with D4 2T

sherman
12-27-2006, 06:45 PM
I would just like to begin by saying hello and Happy New Year to you all from Gloucestershire in England. In May of this year I bought a D4 2T number 3066 it has a Laplante Choate hydraulic blade and should, I think also be fitted with a Hyster winch but thats missing.It is in need of restoration which I have already started,can anyone tell me the age of the dozer from the number I have given? It is an ex military vehicle as we found its shipping weight and other markings on the fuel tank under layers of paint
Is there anywhere can I find any information about WW2 military Cats? either in books or on the net?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Best regards Jim.

D4Jim
12-27-2006, 07:37 PM
Welcome Jim. Your Cat is definitely a "war years" model made in 1943.

sherman
12-28-2006, 02:26 PM
Thanks D4Jim for your reply, I now have another question, what winch would have been fitted to this model? would it have been a Hyster D4 logging winch or a double drum control winch?. The shipping weight stenciled on the fuel tank reads 15362 lbs, I suppose thats the combind weight of the tractor, blade/hydraulics and winch.
Are 1940s style gauges still avalable in the USA as I am having some difficulty finding them over here?.
Thanks again in advance. Jim

tctractors
12-28-2006, 03:06 PM
Hi sherman , I thought Rockhampton is Henry Price Country, the Cat part man , I used to do loads of work around your area for a chap called Phil Strange,on pipeline kit, I live only a short trip from you at Upton upon Severn
The weight plate is in USA pounds =2ooo lbs = 1 short ton not 2240 lbs =1 ton, so the weight thing needs a bit of maths,
If you get in a jam with anything I would be only to happy to help.
tctractors

12-28-2006, 03:20 PM
Sherman
You will get lots of great help and advice from tc. Make sure he takes you out for a quick tour of the area and maybe a stop at the local pub. Tc did you have a nice christmas holiday? Happy new year to sherman and tc. I have a 1944 d2 and its first coat of paint was olive drab. If you scrape long enough you will find it. My d4d is a 1969 model and I am having a blast with it

sherman
12-28-2006, 04:10 PM
Hello TC,yes I know Henry he lives a stones throw from my workshop he has been very helpfull. There are a few things I need he cant seem to supply. Do you have any D4 spares? or know of anyone else who can help.I am also looking for a Hyster D4 logging winch for my D4 any leads would be great.Thanks again Jim