PDA

View Full Version : 8S Blade Tilt to rigid?

janmeermans
06-12-2016, 10:36 AM
Anyone ever put some kind of an adapter on a tilt cylinder to cancel the movement and make it a rigid diagonal strut(?)? If so, can you share how you did it and what it looked like. Also, how did it work?

I might have an option to put a tilt equipped blade on my tractor but I don't want to go through the work of hooking up hydraulics, etc.

Somehow, I hit something on the computer that screwed up this font size. Sorry!

JanM

Deas Plant.
06-12-2016, 10:45 AM
Hi, Janm.
Just remove the tilt cylinder and replace it with a standard screw adjustment tilt brace. Or is that too simple? LOL.

Just my 0.02.

janmeermans
06-12-2016, 09:07 PM
Deas,

Of course that would be the simple fix, but I don't have a standard link laying around anywhere and I have a tractor show next weekend. It would be nice to have the blade with the tilt cylinder mounted but I want to use it in the "play area" without the hydraulics hooked up. This is what caused the question.

JanM

sdmuleman
06-12-2016, 09:11 PM
You ought to be able to just plug the ports and go with it that way - as long as it's full of fluid it'll work just fine. Any air will give it a bit of much, but as long as the ram itself is as full as you can get it I suspect it woln't be noticeable. It's the same thing that happens when the hydraulic spool is centered, just using plugs instead of the valve.

7upuller
06-12-2016, 09:15 PM
Hey Jan,

I bought a dozer blade for the Merced 14-a. It too has a tilt and the 14-a has no hydraulics...Yet!!! I gave orders to the crew to get some 2" angle iron and weld a stiffener bracket along the cylinder. We never got to that point as we decided to just run that 14-a as a scraper tractor at the show. I was going to weld the 2" angle iron brace and cap the lines of the cylinder. Hope this helps.
Glen

Walt D7-3T
06-12-2016, 09:16 PM
Jan,

OR, you could pile on a bunch of super glue...:cool2: :bounce:

Now, back to the serious stuff. Thanks for showing me how to operate a scraper at Santa Margarita.

dpendzic
06-12-2016, 09:42 PM
I agree just fill the cylinder with hydraulic fluid and plug the ports--try to get all the air out

mrsmackpaul
06-12-2016, 09:49 PM
what you can use to stop the ram compressing as farmers use these on implements are ram collars we use them so that we can return a trailed implement to the same depth all the time simple to use just put enough of them around the the rod to take reduce the travel of the ram on the compression side of things
To stop the ram expanding could just hook a chain on each or pull the top off the ram once you work out what length you want slide the ram apart and put the collars on the inside of the ram reassemble and put collars on the out side of the ramp
The collars I have used are made of a fairly soft die cast type of thing and dont mark the ram I have never had them fall off during use doesnt mean they wont

http://www.bareco.co.nz/static/pics/hydraul2001/hY18aa.jpg

thought this maybe of some help

Paul

janmeermans
06-12-2016, 10:12 PM
Thanks everybody for your input. I had thought about trying plugs but was not sure I could get the air out. I'll give that a try.

The blade in question is on another 14A but the owner gave me permission to mount it on mine just for the show. I asked if he would sell it but had to settle for a "you can borrow it" for now. I am going to take some pictures of how great it looks on mine and hope he changes his mind,ha.
Now I have to get the museum's director to okay the switch.

With huge thanks to Garlic Pete, "Ol' Dick" is now at the Antique Gas and Steam Engine Museum in Vista, CA getting ready for the show next weekend and the following weekend. With help from "Crawler Dollars" and "D4Angelo", we mounted a new "used" carrier roller on him today.

Jan

7upuller
06-12-2016, 10:18 PM
Hey Jan,

If your in my neck of the woods, look me up as I know of another 14-a blade about 15 miles from me. I think that one has no tilt. If you interested swing on by.

Ps, I agree that not getting all the air out will let the tilt cylinder dance around a bit. That's why I suggested a brace along with capping!!!
Glen

chumduffy
06-13-2016, 10:20 PM
Hmmm! wishing I had just went ahead and sent you blade and all Jan!! Could sent you the turnbuckle (diagonal brace) for now !!...They not even welded solid !!...Have to admit! I was thinking of mounting it on the HD 19!!!!!....lol,lol,...Just Saying!!!! lol.lol.......

janmeermans
06-14-2016, 10:18 AM
Chum,

You did enough already just to get the tractor out here! There are probably dozens of those blades laying around between you and me. I'll find one closer. You can "borrow" my blade for the "squashed groundhog" (HD19) tractor if you'd like .

Jan