PDA

View Full Version : Fuel oil

timbo1946
06-18-2016, 02:15 PM
Looking for thoughts. We are cleaning out Mom's house getting ready for sale. I have to remove the under ground fuel tank. I checked the tank, it has about 350 gallons of oil. I used the paste to check for water, and it is fuel. I can use some in the fuel tank in the barn, but was woundering if any of it could be used in the D2, and tractors. I would expect that it should be run through a filter as a minimum. Has anyone used heating oil in their old cat?

Tim

dpendzic
06-18-2016, 03:02 PM
thats all i use in my old Cats--just make sure its filtered good and I add power service to it also

Gregness
06-18-2016, 03:36 PM
Very interesting! We have an above ground tank at the grand folks farm with about 100 gallons of heating oil in it. This is pretty old oil. Would it be ok to run in the D2?

dpendzic
06-18-2016, 04:13 PM
i would put some of the real old fuel in a clear glass jar and compare its color and clarity to that of fresh fuel oil---look for algae and impurities---i have never used fuel oil that is more than 3 years old

ronm
06-18-2016, 05:11 PM
When my ex-BIL was running a vac truck, he got called to pump out underground tanks at old service stations. He reclaimed some of the nastiest old Diesel you can imagine. ..separated the water out, & ran it through a filter. He burned it in his trucks, a Mack & a Cummins, never had a problem, other than maybe a little more smoke. Algea would be the biggest concern, that will plug filters faster than you can change them...

Deas Plant.
06-18-2016, 06:04 PM
Hi, Folks.
My understanding is that the older Cat engines were designed to be run on #2 burner fuel or similar, right up until the late 50s/early60s, when they started building high speed engines.

Just my 0.02.

Mike Meyer
06-18-2016, 07:41 PM
Hi, Folks.
My understanding is that the older Cat engines were designed to be run on #2 burner fuel or similar, right up until the late 50s/early60s, when they started building high speed engines.

Just my 0.02.

My old mate Joe Camilleri up in Innisfail said many of the Cats up there ran bunker oil and it was sold by weight, not volume, he said it was stronger burning than diesel (slower burning I assume), he said if a D2 or D4 pulled a disc in 2nd gear with diesel it would pull the same disc in third gear burning bunker oil.
Mike

Deas Plant.
06-18-2016, 10:07 PM
Hi, Mike M.
My second job after I left school sometimes involved running a 2T series D4 either plowing or bulldozing. The owner switched to using #2 burner fuel and it picked up some power then too.

Just my 0.02.

old-iron-habit
06-18-2016, 10:40 PM
Is there supposed to be a difference between heating oil and diesel fuel. I have always known #2 furnace fuel and #2 diesel fuel to be the same thing except for the dye and the tax. They come out of the same bulk tank here.

"Bunker" oil is heavier than #2. Dad drove semi hauling bulk petroleum for his whole career and they hauled from #1 and #2 diesel all the way up to #5 bunker fuel. The number 4 and 5 had to be hauled hot in insulated trailers and the institiutes that burned it in the boilers kept them hot so they would flow to inject in the boilers. Bunker oil was cheap and lots of BTUs per gallon.

dpendzic
06-18-2016, 10:49 PM
I think it depends on the distributor--here on Long Island my guy says its definitely different refining of the fuels, but in Mass it comes from the same storage tank with different dyes added.

timbo1946
06-19-2016, 01:57 AM
Thanks for the info. I think it is worth a try.

drujinin
06-19-2016, 06:31 AM
I burn a lot of Diesel at work, my best month has been $35k worth. Anyways, here it all comes out of the same Bulk Storage tank. Sometimes the Driver couldn't top off my tanks as he may have a home delivery or two for "Heating Oil". We talked in depth about it and he says the same thing. Same fuel, same color.
Back in the mid 80's in Southwest New York, the fuel truck would fill at Dad's house, bill, then pull down the road 75 feet and fill the tractor tank at the shop and bill a few cents higher per gallon! As of 2 years ago I know a guy out there that ran it in his Cummins powered Dodge, he said it turned his filters Red is all.

old-iron-habit
06-19-2016, 07:10 AM
I burn a lot of Diesel at work, my best month has been $35k worth. Anyways, here it all comes out of the same Bulk Storage tank. Sometimes the Driver couldn't top off my tanks as he may have a home delivery or two for "Heating Oil". We talked in depth about it and he says the same thing. Same fuel, same color.
Back in the mid 80's in Southwest New York, the fuel truck would fill at Dad's house, bill, then pull down the road 75 feet and fill the tractor tank at the shop and bill a few cents higher per gallon! As of 2 years ago I know a guy out there that ran it in his Cummins powered Dodge, he said it turned his filters Red is all.

Your guy with the red filters would have paid a big fine if checked by DOT. The red dye is added when fuel is sold for off road and farm use as no road tax is added. It runs about 35 cents a gallon less here.

drujinin
06-20-2016, 06:17 AM
Yea, that's another discussion for another day! Fortunately he wised up and got rid of that truck when the doors were about ready to fall off the hinges.