PDA

View Full Version : Learned new technique

STEPHEN
09-24-2016, 05:30 PM
I was tinkering with an old pony carb that had a bad booster venturi. I needed to remove the venturi in one piece both to repair it and to measure for a new one to fit a duplicate carb. Main problem was the dissimilar metals together for 80 years had welded them tight. I found a ref on the H.A.M.B. website that described heating to 400degf and cooling the venturi bore with an ice cube. First I tried an old 22AX8 zenith, and then the older 2B8447. Both carbs yielded to the left/ right jabs followed by a light tap & gave up the venturi. 62965 I wouldn't risk destruction of a carb part just because, but a few years ago a buddy needed a booster venturi for his AX8 (that he broke by tapping on it). I had an AX8 where the entire side of the float bowl had been frozen/ cracked & repaired by brazing. A suitable, but ugly repair. Anyway, I was able to get the need donor part out intact, somehow, but this newer way seems much safer.

edb
09-24-2016, 07:09 PM
Hi Stephen,
thanks for your time and effort to post this great tip for us all to learn from.
Hopefully it will save a few venturi's from destruction in future.
Cheers,
Eddie B.

janmeermans
09-25-2016, 03:40 PM
Here's one tidbit that should be included in our library.

Thanks for posting this Stephen. I was messing recently with a Zenith carby myself and seeing the new one included in the kit I bought, I thought, now how would one ever get that venturi out of there? Now I know (but will run with the old one still in there). I go with the motto, "don't fix what ain't broke!"

Jan