PDA

View Full Version : Tool-free way to reassemble D2 fuel transfer seals and gear?

Neil
09-29-2016, 09:53 AM
Well, not quite tool-free but it seems like some kind of a jig is required to hold the seal assembly down against spring pressure so that the gear can be lined up with the key, or I need another pair of hands. What do folks do to make sure the gear is lined up properly? I want to avoid munging the gear and/or key if it's slightly off-center.

Old Magnet
09-29-2016, 12:28 PM
Transfer pump assembly jig.

Neil
09-29-2016, 06:02 PM
Many thanks OM!

janmeermans
09-29-2016, 06:39 PM
Neil,

Now wasn't that easy? Just put the question out there and OM, Eddieb or someone on here will be right on it! Pete and Eddie, you guys are great!!!!

JanM

Neil
09-30-2016, 07:41 AM
I know right? We really are spoiled. I'm just about finished fixing up my wife's late(r) model German car and you know what those things are like under the hood - a rat's nest of pipes and wires and doohickeys. Well, everything that I've been doing on it (procedures, parts, services) I've gotten off the interwebs, particularly the procedures. Just go to youtube and some guy will have video'd exactly the thing that you want to do.

It's the same here with what I call our club treasures (old farts by another name : ) - these guys have such a wealth of knowledge and the rest of us can only hope to soak some of it up as we go along - I for one am completely appreciative!

bvandragt
09-30-2016, 02:14 PM
I ground a little taper on both sides of the key on the end that the gear goes on so it would start in the gear keyway easier.
Brian

dpendzic
09-30-2016, 03:31 PM
that jig has been posted already as i found a copy in my file---good candidate for our library!

Neil
09-30-2016, 05:04 PM
I ended up doing that too Brian - great minds! I need the jig though so I can see that side of the gear. Right now I have a large adjustable wrench sitting under the press holding the seal assembly down and thought I'd tap the gear on but I decided that wasn't a good idea...

Neil
10-04-2016, 06:14 PM
Here's my cheapskate's approach - a length of right angle aluminum from Home Depot, a couple of 1/4 bolts, and a couple of eye bolts : )

janmeermans
10-04-2016, 06:49 PM
Here's my cheapskate's approach - a length of right angle aluminum from Home Depot, a couple of 1/4 bolts, and a couple of eye bolts : )

Neil- Maybe this one should NOT go into the technical library. :)

Glad you got a fix though.

JanM

Neil
10-04-2016, 08:50 PM
Heh, definitely file under "Shade Tree" fixes! : )

chuckb
10-05-2016, 08:22 AM
OK this brings to mind the terms JOURNERMAN vs apprentice as to one eager to learn the trade, willing to participate but with limited knowledge
as far as repairs go today we are limited by are ability to resolve the situation presented to us this just adds to the confusion thanks
WE are extreemely greatful to all that are willing to help