PDA

View Full Version : D2 Fuel Cap - Stuck

outbackrider
10-18-2016, 06:55 PM
I'm needing some ideas on how to get my D2 Fuel Cap loosened.
It's aluminum.
It doesn't look cross-threaded, guessing it is corroded/rusted on.
I've soaked it with CRC Freeze off, and PB Blaster, and
hit it with a little bit of heat. I've turned the tank upside down to let the
small amount of diesel seep out.

I've rapped the top with a wooden block and hammer, worried, I'm going to
break the two extruded ribs off. Can't get it to loosen.:frusty:

Any thoughts...thanks.

Rome K/G
10-18-2016, 07:23 PM
Try a chain wrench?

Bruce P
10-18-2016, 07:25 PM
If it were mine I would take two medium size ball ball peen hammers, one for each hand, and strike the cap multiple times all the way around, with each hammer 180 degrees from the other one. Time it so the the hammers hit at the same time. Don't go crazy with it, just strike a little harder than a tap. make a couple rounds and try to unscrew it.

Good luck

Bruce P

Neil
10-18-2016, 09:27 PM
I had the same problem. I just worked at it for days, not hitting it too hard. It eventually capitulated... You could also try lightly heating the cap e.g. with a plumber's torch from a few inches away and then spray your penetrating oil in there immediately. It will loosen, it just takes LOTS of time

Old Magnet
10-18-2016, 09:41 PM
Not smart using an open flame around the vented fuel cap.
I use a plumbers strap wrench so's not to bugger up the aluminum but the chain wrench will also work. Get some anti-sieze on there to prevent future problems once you get it loose..

Neil
10-19-2016, 07:11 AM
Not smart using an open flame around the vented fuel cap.
I use a plumbers strap wrench so's not to bugger up the aluminum but the chain wrench will also work. Get some anti-sieze on there to prevent future problems once you get it loose..

Fuel tank was dry and devoid of fuel / fumes.... Of course, a fellow should take appropriate precautions

outbackrider
10-19-2016, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the tips, I knew there had to be some experience with this issue
on this forum.

You guys are great.

Oldrnu
10-19-2016, 11:06 AM
Just curious, has it been on there a long time or did it just get over-tightened?

outbackrider
10-19-2016, 01:36 PM
I'm going to guess it's been on for about 8-10 years.

It's a machine we bought and rescued. Came out of a field, track was off, doesn't
run, but I've got plans to make it a runner.

Just time and money...as they say.

Neil
10-19-2016, 07:03 PM
Pictures are always welcome!

Gregness
10-20-2016, 10:45 AM
Mine sure has a tendency to want to get cross-threaded, would not surprise me if that or generally bunged-up threads is the issue.

If it is safe, the aluminum should expand much more than the steel tank if heated carefully...

Greg

old-iron-habit
10-20-2016, 12:07 PM
I would take my 42" pipe wrench and turn it off. Then buy a new cap. 99% chance it is cross threaded and in any event theres a good chance that the softer aluminum will be junk threads by the time its off.

Neil
10-20-2016, 08:59 PM
I took a closer look at my cap today, and noticed that the bottom few threads are half worn/broken off, which makes it easier to cross-thread when putting the cap on. I think you're right Roger - a new cap is in order

Old Magnet
10-20-2016, 09:49 PM
Part of the problem is the thickness and crush of the sealing gasket which tends to cause over tightening to get it to seal. Throw that original gasket away and cut one out of 1/4" thick material and the problem goes away, that is if the threads on the tank or cap are not too far gone.