PDA

View Full Version : Therapy---Starting Dads 22

Steve A
11-26-2016, 06:48 AM
My Dad was responsible for getting me into the old Cats, He was guilty of telling me many stories of operating old Iron as a kid with his father. He started at 10 years old when my grand father had a road to grade, Dad was given instruction on a TD9, grandpa climbed on the pull behind grader and the job got done. Yesterday I went to Dads and started his 22 that hadn't been started in a few years. It was a bittersweet moment, great fun to hear it start and run, but sad as Dad Died 2 weeks ago and wasn't there as usual when starting the old cats. I will miss him greatly.

Rome K/G
11-26-2016, 06:58 AM
Steve, my deepest sympathy for you, I'm sorry for the loss of your Dad. Keep the memories and things you did together remembered. I miss my dad so much, we were a good team, he would do the clearing and I would do the raking, I'm so thankful for all I learned from him. Hang in there and keep your spirits high. Sincerely, Gary

ccjersey
11-26-2016, 07:03 AM
Sorry to hear about your dad. Guess he will always be with you, especially with the CATs.

drujinin
11-26-2016, 07:37 AM
Even with a heavy heart, whilst you spent the time tinkering and starting the 22, Your thoughts were of your Dad and the Quality Time you spent together!
I'm Sorry for the loss of your Dad!
Jeff

7upuller
11-26-2016, 07:53 AM
Hey Steve,

Your Dad is Proud of you. Keep his tractor... spend time starting it, letting him hear it purr. Your Dad raised a good boy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=og88M09TJzg

chuckb
11-26-2016, 09:04 AM
Steve sorry for your loss now you have the memories keep the Cats going chuck

cojhl2
11-26-2016, 09:05 AM
I am sorry of your loss Steve.

mog5858
11-26-2016, 09:08 AM
Steve sorry for your loss. but he will always be with you any time your around any equipment.

Deas Plant.
11-26-2016, 09:12 AM
Hi, Steve A.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours in this time of loss. It is never easy.

I would like to tell you a story, I lost my first born son to leukaemia in November, 1978, at not quite 4 1/2 years old. The worst time that I had during his whole 6-month illness was six weeks BEFORE he died, on the day we were told he had no chance. I had to drive 2 hours back to our home to pack it up and move closer to the hospital. For an hour and 50 minutes of that drive, I was really angry that he was being taken so young without a chance to grow and to learn and to experience life. Ten minutes short of my destination and without the slightest change in my driving, I pulled that train of thought up and I asked myself, "With my understandings and my beliefs, WHY am I thinking this way? I KNOW he doesn't need to be here to learn and to grow."

From that moment on, no anger, no sadness. no grief. I have simply celebrated the almost 4 1/2 short years that I DID have with him and the examples of his love and his courage. Ten years later, I did the same thing when my mother died of leukaemia. I celebrated the fact that she had been my mother, her love, courage and understanding and the start that she had given me in life.

Yes, I DO still think of both them from time to time but my thoughts are of gratitude for having known them and for what they taught me and celebrating having had them in my life for the time that they were here. I know that this 'different' approach is not for everybody but if it helps you or any of your family, Sir, you are welcome to it.

And is it just possible that your dad was 'looking over your shoulder' and enjoying seeing and hearing the 22 run again?

Just my 0.02.

dick
11-26-2016, 09:55 AM
Sorry to here of your loss Steve, I'm sure you and your dad had a good time working together on old equipment. My dad has been gone for many years, many times I still wish I could ask him a question. After thinking about it for a while, an answer comes.

Mike Meyer
11-26-2016, 01:09 PM
My sympathy too Steve, I always enjoyed reading your posts when you mentioned your Dad and old Cats, I'm sure he was very proud of you.
Mike

64farmboy
11-26-2016, 06:23 PM
Steve, my sincerest condolences, my dad passed away 31 years ago. I still miss him but theres times I swear I can still smell his pipe when I'm driving nails building something! He taught me work ethic, patience and your word is your bond.
Regards Dennie

old-iron-habit
11-26-2016, 06:52 PM
My sympathies Steve. I to enjoyed your posts in which you spoke of your father. Remember the good times and be pleased in the fact that he watched you start it. God Bless

Bruce P
11-26-2016, 07:25 PM
My sincerest condolences Steve. When my dad got sick I was 12, before he went in for his first surgery, him and I started our D4 he wanted to make sure I could start it by myself, I did, he gave me a few pointers. Honestly I still get choked up when that 4G lights off. Cherish the times you had.

Bruce P.

Steve A
11-27-2016, 07:13 AM
Thanks All and Deas, thanks for taking the time to share your story. I had a great dad for 48 years, for that I am very grateful, I lost my youngest brother when he was 20, 20 some years ago. There is no Doubt in my mind that Dad and Brother Dan are catching up, Dads likely telling him about the grand kids. There is also no doubt in my mind that dad would want me to carry on in a positive light, be a good dad and give my family the love and opportunities he gave us so that I shall do.

Thanks Steve Ayotte

Deas Plant.
11-27-2016, 11:28 AM
Hi, Steve A.
Great stuff, M8. Take the positive road - Go for it. My father died of a massive heart attack when I was 25 but I have had an eerie feeling a few times since that he may have been 'watching'. Hard to describe and no 'scientific' way of validating it, just some sort of inner knowing. - and science still hasn't managed to solve all of life's little mysteries yet anyway.

Enjoy those moments when they happen in your life.

Just my 0.02.