PDA

View Full Version : Fired up the D4

DPete
12-28-2016, 02:38 PM
Every kid in the neighborhood came to watch64695

Deas Plant.
12-28-2016, 03:57 PM
Hi, DPete.
Thanks for sharing. I dunno what it is about fresh-turned earth from a cow's POV but they just seem to 'LURRRVE' it. Any time I have ever been doing any earthworks around cows, they have always come to investigate. I have seen them rubbing their faces in it, scratching it with their hooves, occasionally rolling in it, even gouging their horns into it if they have horns. Yes, they will even crap on it - which doesn't do a whole lot for the appearance of a job that you are trying to leave looking as if somebody cared about it. LOL.

Just my 0.02.

DPete
12-28-2016, 05:21 PM
Yes they are curious, all I was doing was loosening an existing dirt pile so we could get it easier with a skip. 5 minutes later the bovine inspectors were all over the new pile packing it back down LOL, had fun anyway, got the 4 up to temp and ran a few gallons of fuel thru it.

seiscat
12-28-2016, 06:18 PM
Deer love the smell of fresh turned earth too. People tend to think a 'dozer scares deer away, but just wait a few minutes after the 'dozer travels away and the deer come to investigate also.
Craig

old-iron-habit
12-28-2016, 08:40 PM
Is that the D4 you had the rebuilt box blade on at Tulare a few years ago. That is one sweet running little machine.

Deas Plant.
12-28-2016, 11:02 PM
Hi, DPete.
That can't be ALL bad, giving the little jigger some exercise, shaking some of the cobwebs out and having fun doing it. 'Sides, it would take the 'inspectors' a fair while and a LOTTT of passes to pack it back down very much. And they usually have a pretty short attention span LOL.

Just my 0.02.

DPete
12-29-2016, 09:07 AM
Is that the D4 you had the rebuilt box blade on at Tulare a few years ago. That is one sweet running little machine. Yep, only one I have

d9gdon
12-29-2016, 02:35 PM
Yep, only one I have

So are you strictly ranching after the big move or are you still contracting as well?

DPete
12-29-2016, 04:10 PM
So are you strictly ranching after the big move or are you still contracting as well? I have been busy with earthmoving contracts but am getting ready to quit. To many regulations, poor labor, air board headaches, osha etc. Been playing in the dirt for 43 years it has been good to me but the time has come to let somebody else deal with it. I have some pretty nice tier 2 equipment to sell and it needs to be sold in 2017 otherwise it will have to go out of state. I'm going to quit while ahead. The cattle ranch is 7500 acres and most of it is rented out to a big cattleman. Always something to do if not my wife will come up with honey doos' :nod:

Garlic Pete
12-30-2016, 08:49 AM
Sounds like a nice life, DPete. Don't worry, we'll do our part to keep you occupied at Tulare and Santa Margarita every year. I hope this means that you'll have more time to play in the dirt with us, anyway. Always enjoy breakfast and coffee with you each morning, as well as your helpful advice about operating.

Pete.

old-iron-habit
12-30-2016, 10:36 AM
I have been busy with earthmoving contracts but am getting ready to quit. To many regulations, poor labor, air board headaches, osha etc. Been playing in the dirt for 43 years it has been good to me but the time has come to let somebody else deal with it. I have some pretty nice tier 2 equipment to sell and it needs to be sold in 2017 otherwise it will have to go out of state. I'm going to quit while ahead. The cattle ranch is 7500 acres and most of it is rented out to a big cattleman. Always something to do if not my wife will come up with honey doos' :nod:

Sounds like a cool way to retire. You deserve it. Hope all sells well and you enjoy the ranch life. Honey doos' are not even that bad when one has a little time to do them. The best of luck and hope to see you again at the shows.
Roger

DPete
12-31-2016, 09:21 AM
Thanks guys