PDA

View Full Version : D2 5U pressure relief

Riverina d4
01-04-2017, 04:18 AM
Started the D2 today for the first time since fitting new thermostat.Once it had warmed up to nearly operating temp it started to dribble coolant out the radiator cap.I have since unblocked the over flow tube but havn't run again.
Is the kidney shaped thing on top of radiator beside radiator cap a pressure relief mechanism?.If so is it serviceable and should I check it out?.The radiator cap was tight but a good seal would not be possible on the rusted seat.
Thanks

Cysco
01-04-2017, 05:04 AM
Maybe these pictures will help. I took all that apart.....cleaned and installed new gaskets along with a new overflow line.
Have a good day.....Bill

mrsmackpaul
01-04-2017, 05:06 AM
if you have just had the cooling system apart and filled it back up it is very common to dump a bit of coolant as it expands once warm and when it cools you will most likely find it is a inch to a inch and half from full which I would think would be normal and it should be left this way other wise the water has nowhere to go when it gets hot

I was always taught after the cooling system has been worked on it should be run with out the radiator cap on and you should keep a eye on the water till it flows thru the thermostat as there could be air trapped in the system that then gets released and the coolant then drops

It also helps to allow any air trapped in where in the coolant system to be released as its at a lot lower pressure in the radiator than the motor

I was taught if the system allows with longish radiator hoses these should pumped by hand as in squashed in and out to help purge any air out while the motor is running and warming as any trapped air can lead to all sorts of problem

dunno if any of this helps or not

Paul

blakeystew
01-04-2017, 10:13 AM
Sorry to hi jack thread.paul can you please delete some messages as I can not get hold of you. Thanks

mrsmackpaul
01-04-2017, 01:54 PM
Sorry to hi jack thread.paul can you please delete some messages as I can not get hold of you. Thanks

done message away Stew

Andrew
01-04-2017, 04:29 PM
Riverinad4.
Are you about today.
I am currently in Deni.
Would be great to call around and talk tractors.
A. K.

Mike Meyer
01-04-2017, 04:44 PM
Riverinad4.
Are you about today.
I am currently in Deni.
Would be great to call around and talk tractors.
A. K.

Make sure you take Ann with you Andrew, I could see she didn't hear anywhere near enough about old Cats and the ratbags who try and save them yesterday!:faint:

Andrew
01-04-2017, 05:37 PM
Yeah the girl did pretty well coping yesterday.
I don't think I should push my luck though.
Will let you know about west wyalong Mike.