PDA

View Full Version : Couldn't help myself

sr4440
02-22-2017, 12:29 PM
The non profit rescue for rusted yellow iron is alive and thriving.
This followed me home yesterday. I had no idea how many digging projects were needed around here.
Now I'm going to show the dogs how to really dig out a gopher

dpendzic
02-22-2017, 12:34 PM
very very nice! I have been dreaming about a small Cat excavator for years--one that would fit on my trailer--69" width and 8000#---that one might fit!

sr4440
02-22-2017, 12:37 PM
Not sure how wide it is but it only 6100 pounds

Garlic Pete
02-22-2017, 01:27 PM
I resemble that remark.

I love that. I'm going to have to remember that one.

Nice excavator, by the way. If we had one of those, Garlic Mom wouldn't have to worry about her driveway being muddy. The driveway wouldn't have a bottom. No standing water, no mud!

Pete.

seyser
02-22-2017, 02:15 PM
A person could have all sorts of fun with that machine!

sr4440
02-22-2017, 04:39 PM
Hi Garlic Pete,
Licensed to use at your discretion.
Saw your thread about coming up here to get a Thirty and D7.
Sorry I missed the opportunity to meet you. I'm about 35 miles east of Redding up in the foothills.
If you get up this way again let me know.
Snowing like hell right now.

Scott

Deas Plant.
02-22-2017, 05:10 PM
Hi, Sr4440.
Nice catch. Shouldn't be any problem diggin' up the wife's turnips, carrots 'n' potatoes now.

On diggin' out gophers, you may now be able to out-dig the dogs but I think it would be a pretty safe bet that they would still FIND way more gopher holes than you, especially in long grass and weeds. LOL.

On another note, I did managed to largely discourage the little suckers from digging new holes in the access track at Santa Margarita last year. Not that that was my intention. My intention was to stop dust being raised from the track but I noticed that after 5 days of watering it twice a day with 2 good passes and with the incoming/outgoing traffic, there weren't many new gophers hole showing.

Just my 0.02.

sr4440
02-22-2017, 05:27 PM
Howdy Deas,
Was my pleasure to get to meet you at Veerkamps last year.
As to the gophers....if I had the patience I'd be after them with a rifle...not to be

NorCalTerry
02-22-2017, 05:46 PM
I used to enjoy watching the Hawks come in after discing a field, waiting for the little buggers to come up for air. Now, I go out with a bottle of deodorized propane with a weed burning tip. I "plug" the tip into a hole, "squirt" a couple of seconds worth of propane (sometimes I count r e a l s l o w), then hit the igniter. A muffled "boom!", occasional blue flame out of another hole, and on to the next one.
Sometimes I feel like Carl Spackler in the movie Caddyshack and even start humming Marine songs!

sr4440
02-22-2017, 06:02 PM
Easy to hate the little bastards

janmeermans
02-22-2017, 06:45 PM
Congrats on your new machine. You will find uses for it that never occurred to you before. If you have one of those, you don't need hardly anything else!

JanM

Paso Bob
02-22-2017, 11:06 PM
Very nice purchase. My cousin has a Kubota that size with a thumb attached. He can practically wash dishes with it. You will find a multitude of uses for it. If you get the thumb, it will make a huge difference what you can do.

sr4440
02-23-2017, 05:25 AM
I'll have a thumb in about a month

Steve A
02-23-2017, 05:26 AM
I rented one like it with a thumb a few times, Soooo handy

Garlic Pete
02-23-2017, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the license on the trademarked phrase.

It looks like I'll be back up in Redding around midday this Saturday if you're going to be around. Shoot me an email (pbloom@ymail.com) or call or text me at (661) 343-3691 and I'll give you the address and expected arrival time. ctsnowfighter's place is on the North side of Redding off Oasis Road. His Dad has some pretty neat stuff to look at, too.

Pete.

rmyram
02-23-2017, 12:02 PM
i bought a mini hoe with a thumb last year, also non-profit....... those little machines are handier than pockets in your underwear.

i used mine to dig the wifes potatoes from the garden. she was skeptical, but i only damaged two potatoes out of the 500 lbs of potatoes i dug, when i do it with a pitch fork i usually damage quite a few. i'm thinking of building a screener bucket next year to make it even easier. the mini hoe is much easier on my back than the pitchfork as well.

i would take a scoop and then wiggle the bucket to sift out the dirt. the potatoes would rise to the surface and the kids would pick them off the top. also managed to get all the potatoes, usually when i use a fork there are a few that get missed.

old-iron-habit
02-23-2017, 12:18 PM
i bought a mini hoe with a thumb last year, also non-profit....... those little machines are handier than pockets in your underwear.

i used mine to dig the wifes potatoes from the garden. she was skeptical, but i only damaged two potatoes out of the 500 lbs of potatoes i dug, when i do it with a pitch fork i usually damage quite a few. i'm thinking of building a screener bucket next year to make it even easier. the mini hoe is much easier on my back than the pitchfork as well.

i would take a scoop and then wiggle the bucket to sift out the dirt. the potatoes would rise to the surface and the kids would pick them off the top. also managed to get all the potatoes, usually when i use a fork there are a few that get missed.

Thanks rmyram, Finally, I can justify a mini hoe. I dug 20 plants by hand last fall.
Roger

Deas Plant.
02-23-2017, 05:39 PM
Hi, O-I-H.
Man, you just GOTTTA pay more attention. You coulda justified that after my first post in the thread, #7. LOL.

Just my 0.02.

sr4440
03-02-2017, 04:17 PM
Have been cleaning ditches here on the ranch for the past couple of days.
Amazing what you can learn with a new toy.
Love this thing
About the most fun you can have with your clothes on

7upuller
03-02-2017, 11:07 PM
Hey sr4440,

Yes, they are a lot of fun. You can have a great time on them. About the fun with clothes on thingy... you can run it with your clothes off if you want, just don't post pictures here, you might get in trouble... :jaw:

sr4440
03-03-2017, 07:32 AM
wouldn't be a pretty sight at best

janmeermans
03-03-2017, 10:42 AM
Yeah but the big advantage would be to not have your "significant other" complaining about your dirty clothes leaving dirt behind in her wash machine! My recent dive into the D8 pony has caused me to be told that I will have to take my dirty clothes down to the laundromat and do them myself. She got "grease and dirt marks" on her church pants and for some reason is blaming me! Now my coveralls are so dirty I had to quit wearing them! They will nearly stand up by themselves. :)

JanM

7upuller
03-03-2017, 12:40 PM
Hey Jan,

Maybe your on to something here!!! Maybe we can change our club name too. How does The NOCC sound? :nono: Naked Operator Caterpillar Club...:nono:

janmeermans
03-03-2017, 02:13 PM
Glen,

Better yet, try GSNOCC or Grease Smeared Naked Operator Caterpillar Club. Hey some use sun oil when the lay in the sun but we would be using 30 wt. and for those with really fair skin, 90 wt. could be used! Imagine at the end of the shift all the dust settled on your oil covered skin with white lines where the wrinkles are from the sweat running down!

I think we just went down a rabbit hole!

JanM

7upuller
03-03-2017, 03:25 PM
Hey Jan,

I started laughing at the "White Lines" comment... for some reason I pictured it. Just think about that night or the next morning after a hot summer day, the striped red lines after washing up... ouch...:smokin:... Kind of reminds me when I was 16 and found myself on a naked beach up at Lake Tahoe. I was so proud hanging out with a 21 year old gal skinny dipping all day. My echo was so big that day that I found myself bragging like crazy that night before bed, But when I couldn't sleep all night because of sunburn pain, and the painful week to follow, it surely dampened my bragging rights... hahahaha... oh the memories!!!

Neil
03-03-2017, 05:02 PM
You guys need to get sr4440's new digger and put a "bathing" hole in at the SM ranch for just those occasions - somewhere downstream a bit....

janmeermans
03-03-2017, 06:42 PM
Neil,

No, No, No! We have plans to fill the "tray" as you call it on the CAT 779 Haul Truck and have some steam piped up from one of the steamers to heat the water. Add some cold beer and away we go!!!!

That's why I'm stayin' in the campground! No hotel for me. Good action on site after hours! Just why did you think GP made the effort to drag that down there?

JanM