PDA

View Full Version : Why it sometimes pays to look at the ugly ones…

seiscat
03-11-2017, 11:28 AM
I got a real bargain on this D6H LGP in 1995 because the tractor looked so ugly. I hauled it home, fabricated brush guards & sweeps, repaired the blade, painted the tractor and installed a new A/C system. I still had much less than the book value invested.
Thanks to Mrs. seiscat for finding these old photos.
Craig

66021 66022

d9gdon
03-11-2017, 12:44 PM
It had definitely been rode hard and put up wet. Looks a lot better in the other picture though, did you keep it or sell it right away?

seiscat
03-11-2017, 01:23 PM
I ran that tractor for 5 years until I sold it in Nov. 2000. That tractor was actually in pretty good shape, it just looked terrible.
Craig

dpendzic
03-11-2017, 03:08 PM
is there really an advantage to having a high sprocket?? I would assume on a high use machine it may be but on an occasional use machine (100 hrs/year) it may not be :confused:

seiscat
03-11-2017, 04:41 PM
Hi dependzic, it's difficult to say about the low-hour use scenario you describe. The elevated sprocket tractors are easier to work on. The transmission has rollers mounted to it that ride on rods inside the main case, this allows the transmission to be pulled out of the back of the tractor like a drawer. The final drives can be worked on without breaking a track or even removing the blade.
There are drawbacks. The only thing that keeps the tracks engaged with the sprocket is the weight of the track above the idlers. When the tractor is operated in muddy conditions where the mud packs inside the rails the tracks will “jump” the sprocket teeth. When the tractor is working in good conditions (Yes, even with new undercarriage) and the operator tries to climb a slope at an angle this “jumping” can occur. I first noticed this problem in 1987 when I rented a new D6H from my Caterpillar dealer, the tractor had only a little more than 100 hrs. on it.
The “WWWW” shaped radiator cores on these early D6Hs had closely-spaced fins that had to be washed out often in dusty conditions.
I think the tip-over hard nose design is dumber than a bag of hammers as the pins and bores all wear loose over time as the tractor is operated.
Overall, I liked my D6H LGP,
Craig