PDA

View Full Version : Another O.T. Item: 3408 Truck engine

juiceman
11-22-2017, 10:14 PM
Posting this to help a buddy: He has a PETERBILT 359EXHD ( capital letters to annoy OilSlick) with a sickly 3408 with retarder; itís a mechanical as far as I know. Number one hole was slobbering oil bad; he swears they did a complete inframe overhaul with rebuilt heads. Motor still slobbers oil from the same cylinder!!!
What the heck is wrong here? He is no dummy when it comes to his trucks; he and his in-house mechanics are baffled. They are tossing in the towel and sending it to Peterson CAT to have my favorite truck mechanic Shawn H. to work his magic.
Does anyone have any idea why it is still slobbering out of number one?
Maybe I should make a contest out of this, and see who had the correct answer! JM

Old Magnet
11-23-2017, 12:23 AM
Is it slobbering oil or fuel or both? May be more related to an injection problem.

Hutchy
11-23-2017, 02:45 AM
I have had some reman cylinder packs come with the rings all lined up. Some people like to install them without removing the pistons, not my favourite method but maybe could be a problem here.

catsilver
11-23-2017, 03:30 AM
Correct, I've seen rings fitted upside down and with the gaps in line, but it was slobbering before and after the in frame?, Check the fuel air ratio diaphragm on the fuel injection pump is not ruptured.

juiceman
11-23-2017, 12:06 PM
Yes, Shawn is my trusted CAT mechanic. He has pointed out what each of you has mentioned. I'm wondering if my buddy and crew were so excited to go to the next truck show, that they overlooked something "dumb". We teased him for not using "Genuine CAT Parts".
Stay tuned, we will get to find out what happened after the holidays. JM

steeltracs
11-23-2017, 12:16 PM
Number 1 cylinder has low compression,rings installed wrong or really bad injector isssue. Just my thoughts, I am no expert!

Old Magnet
11-23-2017, 12:21 PM
If only one cylinder is involved it is not a problem with the air/fuel ratio controller. A bad injector that washes oil from the liner will prevent rings from seating and lead to permanent slobber.

catsilver
11-23-2017, 12:53 PM
I speak from experience, not reading books OM, I would not take 3408 down for this problem before checking that air fuel ratio control diaphragm. I saw a fuel injection pump taken off and returned to the workshop twice because one cylinder was puffing blue smoke rings.

bursitis
11-23-2017, 01:20 PM
I speak from experience, not reading books OM, I would not take 3408 down for this problem before checking that air fuel ratio control diaphragm. I saw a fuel injection pump taken off and returned to the workshop twice because one cylinder was puffing blue smoke rings.

Yup. and check the pcv system too. one or the other:israel:

wimmera farmer
11-23-2017, 01:43 PM
First easy check. Use a heat gun to check for hotter or cooler on that cylinder.

juiceman
11-23-2017, 02:08 PM
I just spoke to my pal: He states that upon the initial tear down, the cylinder with the problem had rings that were all in line with one another; that being, they assumed they found the cause of the oil puking.
Prior to the rebuild, they made sure all of the piston rings were in proper order, which they discovered not the case; parts/kits/gasket seal kits all purchased from Quality Diesel and Holt in West Sacramento,CA.

Now the fun part: he said they have torn down motor so many times, it needs a zipper! Lol. At least he has a sense of humor... he said now it is puking oil out of rear cylinder as well, both same side.
He also neglected to tell me they couldnít get it to fire off and run on all 8....

Is it safe to assume that it IS the air/fuel ratio controller diaphragm as mentioned? In his frustration he had failed to mention some other symptoms. (Sorry).

I am defined getting a lesson on this topic. Please continue to share your ideas and past experiences!

Thanks, JM

Deas Plant.
11-23-2017, 02:51 PM
Hi, Juiceman.
How is a 'kwestyun' about an all mechanical Cat engine O.T. in an antique Cat forum. If it is all mechanical, it would have at least some age on it, would it not? LOL.

Just my 0.02.

catsilver
11-23-2017, 03:23 PM
Only half the story again, for the amount of effort required to check the diaphragm and given the history, its worth checking anyway. Nothing more embarrassing than finding something simple when you have spent a fortune in time and effort looking for the cause.
If one bank is not firing properly, could be the two fuel racks are not timed together properly.

Rome K/G
11-23-2017, 04:11 PM
Were the liners genuine Cat or aftermarket? If not Cat, what brand?

bluox
11-24-2017, 01:23 AM
My WAG is loose or missing end plugs on the rocker shaft or a jake leak if it has one.
Bob

juiceman
11-24-2017, 11:22 AM
My WAG is loose or missing end plugs on the rocker shaft or a jake leak if it has one.
Bob

What is a WAG? I don't know if he has Jakes or not.

I think the kits were Clevite. Gasket set was CAT.

I will ask him what else he didn't remember to tell us regarding the rebuild.

Thanks for the responses everyone. JM

Old Magnet
11-24-2017, 12:11 PM
"Wild A$$ Guess" not as good as "SWAG" Scientific Wild A$$ Guess.

juiceman
11-24-2017, 12:27 PM
"Wild A$$ Guess" not as good as "SWAG" Scientific Wild A$$ Guess.

Hahaha. Thanks Magnet. I was afraid to guess what he meant.

Rome K/G
11-24-2017, 03:48 PM
Mic the ID of the liners and check if there egg shaped. I had a local mechanic tell me of some CTP liners being egg shaped so bad they wouldnt even fit the block. Of course they sent replacements, but really? Like Charles Bronson once said "dead sure, or dead".

Old Magnet
11-26-2017, 11:57 AM
The best solution is to get it into the hands of Peterson/Shawn H. as you initially suggested.

juiceman
12-14-2017, 03:16 PM
The best solution is to get it into the hands of Peterson/Shawn H. as you initially suggested.

I agree OM; I just found out he is determined to experiment, so he is spending $7500.00 to have his fuel pump rebuilt! He said if that doesnít do it, it goes to Peterson. Thank goodness he is rich and famous I told him.....the price we pay for our toys! He mentioned he is probably into this motor for $30k now, he couldíve found a runner for that much....Oh well, to each his own.

Rome K/G
01-01-2018, 09:46 PM
Did the rebuilt pump solve it????????????

juiceman
01-02-2018, 08:54 AM
Did the rebuilt pump solve it????????????

Have not heard the latest progress/update; Aaron might know, as the fella is a mutual friend.
Iím curious as well. My CAT engine man at Peterson has a stall waiting for him still! JM

Rome K/G
01-02-2018, 04:19 PM
10-4 Juiceman

Aaron
01-02-2018, 10:02 PM
haven't heard anything here, need to drop a quarter and see whats going on.

juiceman
01-03-2018, 02:33 PM
Called Dennis today, and pump was rebuilt in excess of original quote; awaiting installation.
I told him to hurry up, as Iím about ready to call the local book making people to place bets. JM

Sprocket71
01-03-2018, 10:41 PM
Who rebuilt heads? Were the guides replaced. I got a o/m power pack for a 3406E with no rings. I had a 3306 with the wrong oil control rings. it pumped oil.
AFR diaphragm would cause excess crank case pressure. I don't think it would affect just one hole. Were the rods reused? possibly bent
Air compressor is mounted on the left front. where does it get it's air.
I assume that since we were talking fuel pump and AFR, this engine isn't a Heui which would bring up even more possibilities.

Sprocket71
01-03-2018, 10:47 PM
I just thought of another possibility. a bent piston oiler, shooting oil on the liner walls instead of the inside of the piston

catsilver
01-04-2018, 02:31 PM
3408 is not unit injection, the AFR can cause this on one cylinder, I've seen it, when idling and pulling a vacuum in the inlet, it can draw oil past the diaphragm and through the sensor tube, dripping oil into the manifold. Usually #2 cylinder but it depends on how you count them. It would be interesting to know why the pump cost so much.