PDA

View Full Version : Fuel guage

railroadjoe220
01-03-2007, 06:27 PM
I have a D257 I need to make a fuel dip stick for the seat tank.Could someone tell me the lengh ,how the gallons are marked on it.Inches from the bottom that the gallons are marked off.

Old Magnet
01-07-2007, 09:14 PM
Hi RR Joe,
I was able to track down the dimensions for both the early and late D2 seat tanks. Which one do you need? the early pre-#13,237 20 gallon tank or the later 26 gallon model. Let me know and I will email the info to you.

yellercat
01-08-2007, 05:44 AM
railroad joe has a good question there. Needing the same information for my D6-9U Mag', can you assist?? It is a seat tank of course, but those contours really make it difficult to guess the gallons remaining in there. Its good information to have when you try to keep the tank full after every run and need to schedule the fuel truck to fill the (230 gallon) stand tank.
Any thoughts on what would be best to make the 'dipstick' out of?
tanks-

Old Magnet
01-08-2007, 06:14 PM
Hi yellercat,
Yes, I can get you the dimensions. Was going to do it today but forgot.
Tomorrow should do it.

yellercat
01-08-2007, 07:36 PM
No hassle Ole Mag' , whenever you can get around to it. I'll make a note and put it with my other notes. Length and marks from top or bottom (or both) will get me there.
Any idears on what to fab it from?
Thanks
yellerc@

Old Magnet
01-10-2007, 09:18 PM
OK guys,
Here's the dip stick dimensions. I would suggest stainless steel if you can get it but probably will have to be sheared to get the 5/16 width. Would also recommend a little thicker than the .050 in. Kinda limited cause the hole for the dipstick is only 3/8 in. diameter.

Dozerman51
01-10-2007, 11:19 PM
I had a friend of mine who is a metal fabricator make one up for me using my old one as a guide. To mark the gallon amounts on the plunger I used steel stamping numbers and stamped them onto the stainless steel plunger.

Nico Ensink
01-11-2007, 09:27 AM
Hi O.M.
While you seem to have details handy, would you have similar info for a D4 7U12815 with tank seat?
Would be nice info to store somewhere handy on the board.:D
Thanks in advance if you have,
Nico

Old Magnet
01-11-2007, 09:54 AM
OK,
Guess I should add both the seat and side tank models D4's. Give me a day or so.

I have given up on this BB ever developing an archive section. It has been a discussion item for years. Doing good just to keep the lights on ;) ;)

railroadjoe220
01-12-2007, 06:34 AM
Pete,
Thanks for the information,just what I needed.
Joe

yellercat
01-12-2007, 06:59 AM
'Mag' -
Many thanks from me, (and all the other BB members who will print and 'archive' on their own), for the professional quality information on this item; along with the other information that you so freely put out for all of our use and enjoyment! You are doing more than your share to keep our hobby alive. We appreciate you time and efforts!
yellerc@

ag-mike
01-12-2007, 08:11 AM
i have some s/steel strips sheared and plan on making gauges for the d2 and d4 seat and fender tanks, i been thinking about how to mark them, stamp or etching. remember these are only 5/16 wide. i used 18 gauge material. the stamps i got are to big and i ain't got a etcher yet.

Old Magnet
01-12-2007, 08:25 PM
Here are the fuel guage dimensions for the D4 seat and side tank models.

ttman4
01-19-2007, 07:06 PM
Old Magnet, you're kinda handy to have around! :D :D
I saved all these fuel dipstick dimensions & printed off the D6 one I needed.
Thanks
Gets scary guessing fuel level on an oddball shaped tank!
BTW, finally got all signed up all legal like over here @ACMOC.
Looks like a pretty good place too!!:)

Old Magnet
01-19-2007, 07:48 PM
Hi ttman4,
Glad to see you finally made it over here:D :D
Kinda lonesome over there at YTD.

kenmcal
01-20-2007, 11:02 AM
Joe: I have a good idea. Pay the postage and I will send you one. I have two of them in old fuel tanks out back. :D

Ken

Steve51
01-20-2007, 12:29 PM
It would be reall nice to have an archive section with all this valuable information available. I am new at playing around with these old caterpillars, and I am learning a lot from the discussions on the board, but when I try to remember some information that was posted in the past, it take much more time than if it was in a seperate location.
thanks,

Steve

ttman4
01-20-2007, 08:36 PM
It would be reall nice to have an archive section with all this valuable information available. I am new at playing around with these old caterpillars, and I am learning a lot from the discussions on the board, but when I try to remember some information that was posted in the past, it take much more time than if it was in a seperate location.thanks,Steve
Yes, I second an Archive Section. I'm really new here, dumber than a box of rocks, know not nearly enough about Cats, & sure don't have any right bossing you'all round demanding an Archive or Tec Section, but a Tec Section sure be nice!!:D:D
Couple other forumns I'm on for last couple year have slowly put together a TEC. SECTION & I've found tips, ideas, & things in them that I had no idea even existed....

Old Magnet, Yup, glad to be here. So far looks like a really friendly, informative site. Everybody seems to be helpful.
Couple other sites I'm on (trucks etc) are really good....no flaming & no "put-downs".....just information along with some goodnatured, big time ribbing. Then there are some sites where seems that everybody wants to "rag & putdown" everybody else..... & times-a-wasting:eek: :eek:

Way I see it, since I'm gonna live to be 150, I'm still not gonna live long enough to learn & do everything I want to!!!

BTW, if you'all don't believe the "live to be 150" part, just hang round & see for yoself!!!
BTW #2, I walk the straight & narrow, salt of the earth, pillar of the community, and always tell some little variation of the truth...:D :D