PDA

View Full Version : THIS Is Getting Monotonous.

Deas Plant.
03-12-2019, 01:47 PM
Hi, Folks.
Is this getting monotonous - - - or WOTTT??????????????

When I first came to Santa Margarita Ranch in June, 2010, I was greeted with this sight:

I drove it straight out of the bog - - - - SIX weeks later.

Then I come to the ranch in 2019, to be greeted with THIS:

It'z still in there at the moment - until it dries out a (FAIR) bit. LOL

Just my 0.02.

Jerk
03-12-2019, 03:11 PM
Wow. I guess you can get a tracked vehicle stuck. Whooda thunk it

edb
03-12-2019, 05:26 PM
Hi Deas,
whats wrong that they have not used the time honored WW1 Tank style Unditching Beam principle to remove this jigger--or is it that it is sitting on the gas line, eek --now that would be a very valid reason to take lots of very large and fast steps away.

Just shows some people do not know when to stop trying to get out before its too late for easier methods of assistance to help get the job done.

We purposely stuck a D8H at our Army Engineers Plant Operators Training School Course to show how difficult these things were to get out.
The operator was instructed to slot doze and when he broke thru the crust above the water table, down she went, so far that the floor plates were down to ground level--took 2 D8H's and a TD15B all with winches to budge it--great learning time at this course. The Dust Bowl training area was on the banks of the Georges River near Liverpool in NSW.

Cheers,
Eddie B

Deas Plant.
03-12-2019, 06:33 PM
Hi, Eddie.
My plan is to leave it there as a memorial to what NOT to do in the prevailing conditions - - - at least until it dries out enough to simply drive it out. It's only about 200 yards from where it is next required to work but the whole area is too wet to do the work required so it's hard to figure why they even bothered to move it when they did - - except that they had NO idea of how wet it 'ackshully' is and hard these things are to get out once they are in.

They have a Cat 637 scraper, a Cat D5M dozer and a John Deere 772 6wd grader to assist but they will all be about as much use as a breast pocket in a G-string or an udder on a hen until it dries out sufficiently to work - by which time I think the D9 may well back out of there by itself.

At least the man driving it was smart enough to stop when it sank - or at least very shortly thereafter.

Just my 0.02.

Wombat
03-12-2019, 09:37 PM
Hey Deas,

Go find a 30 tonne excavator, should pop it out without a problem, I have even used a 20 tonner to lift a 275 Kumagutsa out, that was that badly bogged, the one door that could be opened had to push it against the mud. Took about 15 minutes to get it out.

Best of luck, Wombat

Rodten
03-12-2019, 10:01 PM
I think they just want you to feel needed when you come over. They hate for you to cross over the big lake and have nothing to so when you get here. Or they have just found a way to keep you out of the good ol American jails. Take your pick, but I am thinking this was a designed parking spot just for your arrival.

Rodten

Deas Plant.
03-12-2019, 11:12 PM
Hi, Wombat.
Don't worry, M8, I could get it out several ways, but I plan on leaving it there until the ground has dried out enough to be able to work it without turning the work area to slush or 'submarining' it again. I have a short video clip of water pouring out of a bore casing here on the ranch that stands about 1.2 metres - 4 feet - above the ground - - - - - in an area that is NOT known for its artesian water. That is how much the water table has risen from this year's rain to date.

The main creek through the ranch, the one we put the rail flatcar footbridge across in 2017, has currently gone down about 6 feet from its highest level this year - and is still about 7.6 metres - 25 feet - wide and that would be about 6 metres - 20 feet - above that bore casing and a good 200 metres - 660 feet - from the bore casing.

It's WETTTT.

Hi, Rodten.
Thank you for that explanation. I never dreamed that they had my welfare so much to heart.

Just my 0.02.

OZPHIL2
03-13-2019, 02:57 AM
Hi, Wombat.
Don't worry, M8, I could get it out several ways, but I plan on leaving it there until the ground has dried out enough to be able to work it without turning the work area to slush or 'submarining' it again. I have a short video clip of water pouring out of a bore casing here on the ranch that stands about 1.2 metres - 4 feet - above the ground - - - - - in an area that is NOT known for its artesian water. That is how much the water table has risen from this year's rain to date.

The main creek through the ranch, the one we put the rail flatcar footbridge across in 2017, has currently gone down about 6 feet from its highest level this year - and is still about 7.6 metres - 25 feet - wide and that would be about 6 metres - 20 feet - above that bore casing and a good 200 metres - 660 feet - from the bore casing.

It's WETTTT.

Hi, Rodten.
Thank you for that explanation. I never dreamed that they had my welfare so much to heart.
atch it out with the loaded 37.
Just my 0.02.

Hold tight Deas, I'll be there on 9-10 May and we can snatch it out with the loaded 37 when it dries out. I see Patrick looking on, was he the bogee? if so maybe he can dig out the front pull hook for us in the meantime.

janmeermans
03-13-2019, 05:35 AM
Deas,

Welcome back!

Now when I turned that machine back over to you last May, it was floating nicely at ground level in a big dust bowl. Remember when we were leveling the play area we could not see for all the dust! My how things change!

JanM

Deas Plant.
03-13-2019, 08:12 AM
Hi, Jan M.
You'd be hard pressed to recognize the ranch now. It's green everywhere - - - except where some people have managed to bring mud to the surface by playing submarines with D9s. Oh, and the place where the ranch foreman managed to get the John Deere 772 grader stuck and had to have the Cat D5M push it out.

And then there is also the place where the ranch owner got his Range Rover bogged 'cos he thinks itza hovercraft.

It might be a while yet before Garlic Pete will be able to get many of his machines out for Tulare.

Just my 0.02.

ronm
03-13-2019, 09:46 AM
You had better just lock all the equipment up & take the keys with you when you leave so they won't be messing around getting stuck while you're gone...:thumb:

Rome K/G
03-13-2019, 09:57 AM
Probably afraid to move it! Gas line right at the ripper shanks! eeeK!

Ray54
03-13-2019, 10:44 AM
Doesn't it make you feel good that they proved how much they need your expertise:wink:

If you wish to experience one of the other forms of fun in the mud I am not far away. I have the sticky kind, padal around on top until the track is so packed it has no power to move.:wink: Then the real fun of digging track frames out. Pure fun wet or dry. :frusty: No I have not got one sitting all packed full. I have learned sitting by my oak fired fireplace is much more pleasant.

I happened to see the scraper sitting out near the pond and was wondering if it was still on top,not that it mattered cause to wet to get anything done. But some people take more time to learn than others.

Deas Plant.
03-13-2019, 12:09 PM
Hi, RonM.
Hopefully, they will learn from their mistakes. Hopefully??????? Hadda chat with the ranch owner this morning, he now seems resigned to having to wait until it dries out to do anything serious.

Hi, ROME K/G.
That one with the gas line between the tracks and the ripper is 'ancient history'. That's the one that I drove out in 2010. The lower 3 photos are the current 'yellow submarine'.

Hi, Ray54.
If they 'need' my 'expertise', I'd rather it was used for something productive instead of recovering people's Stuff-Fupps.

Thanks, but no, Thanks, on your track cleaning offer. SO FAR, nobody has been silly enough to try to move the scraper. It appears that the ranch owner has been slowest to get the message here but I think it started to dawn on him when he got his Range Rover bogged not long before I arrived here.

Just my 0.02.

Rome K/G
03-13-2019, 02:20 PM
History? did it blow up???? lol

Deas Plant.
03-13-2019, 04:16 PM
Hi, ROME K/G.
Nope. Diff'rent history. Gottitt outa that one without even scaring the gas line. Then, a couple of months before the first of the annual shows in 2015, right when we had it all sorted out to use that D9H as a push-cat for the show, it tossed a leg outa bed, along with a 9" X 12" slab of the side of the block.

Plan B - A local company donated a Cat D8R for the show. Thank you again to Paul Viborg of Paso Robles.

The D9H that is currently sitting all IN-elegantly in mud up to its hips is the replacement machine for the first one that threw away its engine.

Just my 0.02.

Rome K/G
03-13-2019, 04:26 PM
oooooH K . Hole in the block, hmm!

Deas Plant.
03-13-2019, 08:56 PM
Now, now, ROME K/G, settle, boy, settle. I wasn't even in the country, in fact not even in the hemisphere, at the time of the 'bed evacuation' and block venting. LOL.

Just my 0.02.

Rome K/G
03-14-2019, 09:49 AM
10-4, thats good!

ctsnowfighter
03-15-2019, 10:37 AM
Deas,
Maybe time to get some RR ties and make some "blocks" as were common here in the rice country in days before rubber took over.
4x6 timbers 3 feet long bolted to the track pads ( every other one) on a Sixty, worked pretty well! Sixty had pretty good clearance underside and without fenders, the blocks worked well.

D9 burried in the muck - glad I am not there to "enjoy" the FUN !!!!!!!

cts

Deas Plant.
03-15-2019, 08:45 PM
Hi, CTSnowfighter.
If I have my way, it'll be staying there until it's dry enough to drive it out. As I understand it, this has been an exceptional year but I still think that some lessons gained through lost time might serve a useful purpose. LOL.

Just my 0.02.

ironman3406
03-16-2019, 11:02 PM
Deas,

Stop driving the D9 where there is water haha. Hope you are able to get her out when things dry up.

Have fun
Nate

Deas Plant.
03-17-2019, 08:15 AM
Hi, ironman3406.
As I believe I mentioned at the start of this thread, I am NOT the guilty party. This is the second time I have come to the ranch to find a D9H dozer bogged, in almost identical circumstances, right track well down, left track almost high-n-dry.

BOTH times, it was a ranch employee that 'dunnitt'. It'z apparently hard to get good hired help these days.

Just my 0.02.

Ray54
03-17-2019, 05:59 PM
The fact only one track is down tells me you may have better than average help already. From you comments about the boss man................well enough said.

I have worked for one of those kind,we need it done yesterday. "Its only one low place you have to cross", in a vineyard. At least in open ground you can go around some parts.

As stated earlier most of my world will not suck you down if you get in, but that other part. When you break the crust in seconds you can be level with the top of both tracks and the mud if you do not stop instantly.

Deas Plant.
03-17-2019, 06:46 PM
Hi, Ray54.
Unless I miss my guess, this is broken shale country with silt washed into low areas that look quite firm - - - - - until you try to walk a D9 across them. It appears that he found one of those silt-filled areas with the right track. Had he been 10 feet to the left, he would likely have made it. He was at least smart enough to stop straightaway and not try to get out.

I think another couple of dry days and, with a bit of help from the D5M pushing against the low corner of the blade, it may well come out backwards. Trying to go forward would be trying to go up hill and I don't think that is an option.

I want to try to get it out on Tuesday 'cos the current prediction is for 80% chance of thunderstorms Wednesday.

Just my 0.02.

ctsnowfighter
03-23-2019, 10:00 AM
Wondering if it went "down-unda" pushing it downhill?

Deas Plant.
03-23-2019, 06:13 PM
Hi, Folks.
Well, last Tuuesday's proposed extraction of the bogged D9 didn't happen 'cos the only machine that stood any chance at all of helping it out, a D5M PAT dozer with a ripper 'fell through the ground' on the Monday, trying to get me a quick trip home to DowNunda, I suspect.

We got that out last Wednesday with some very long cables and a John Deere 772 grader (THAT hurt.) - - - and then parked it high if not so dry until a more opportune moment.

To help matters along, we also had another 1 1/4 inches of rain late Wednesday and into Thursday. More this morning as I was leaving the ranch for a 'weekend in the mountains'. The winter seems to be a tad reluctant to let go this year. LOL.

Just my 0.02