PDA

View Full Version : Tulare- No Digging This Year

daron
03-22-2019, 12:22 PM
Garlic Pete finally heard from Walter Watte, the chairman of the California Antique Farm Equipment Show (CAFES), and the digging, plowing, etc. is CANCELED this year. Apparently undecided for future shows.

I just tried to look at their online 'schedule of events' and the page is not up yet. Couldn't find any map of the grounds on the website yet.

http://www.antiquefarmshow.org/

Daron

Tom Madden
03-22-2019, 03:31 PM
Yeah I had lunch with Tony Ramos on Monday and he told us the same thing.

If you want to dig come to Santa Margarita May 24-26 for Best of The West, that is if the field dries up. We look forward to seeing the usual suspects and hopefully some new faces this year.

Link. http://www.acmoc.org/bb/showthread.php?31422-Best-of-the-West-Santa-Margarita-California-May-24-26-2019&highlight=Santa+Margarita

Tom

juiceman
03-22-2019, 04:11 PM
Thank you for the update gentlemen. I had inquired pre World Ag Show, and they were up in the air about the play area. No worries, I won’t need to worry about the logistics of moving a dirt spread there. Hey D4e, send me a refund for the CAT 60 scraper! LOL. Just kidding! I have special friend that I volunteered to build a pond and island in Elk Grove, CA.
Who is bringing iron for the parade or display?
See you there, JM

jfirebaugh
04-01-2019, 11:59 AM
Garlic Pete finally heard from Walter Watte, the chairman of the California Antique Farm Equipment Show (CAFES), and the digging, plowing, etc. is CANCELED this year. Apparently undecided for future shows.

I just tried to look at their online 'schedule of events' and the page is not up yet. Couldn't find any map of the grounds on the website yet.

http://www.antiquefarmshow.org/

Daron

Daron, Garlic Pete and Tom,

While it's not a really a surprise, it's disappointing that CAFES Management has decided they can't support any equipment movement or earth movement at their Tulare show, unless it's for their parade! Heaven forbid that a piece of construction or even Ag related equipment be demonstrated to the paying public for the purpose that it was created for! :confused: While it's every bit their right to decide what happens at their show, it sure leaves a taste of "we're not really welcome".

So, with no dirt movement, are they letting us park our equipment in the main area or are they still located in the back 40? Also, did they give anyone an official reason for no dirt movement, beyond a safe "insurance restrictions" answer? Just curious...... If the dirt moving patch is "not permitted" this year I would venture to say that it never will be permitted again as it doesn't fit their show paradigm! Too bad, but really it's their loss in the end. Truth be told Tulare never even "barely" advertised our earth moving activity and after the first year when we were closer to the East, defiantly located our equipment out in the "back 40"! Again, had they embraced our operation and highlighted the activity to the public, we could have been a real jewel in their show's model which I believe has been declining for several years now. So sad! All I can say is that thank goodness that we have the BOTW Show in late May. What a blessing that show is! :usa2:

As Deas normally sez; Just my 2 cents, but please correct me if I got anything factually wrong about the Tulare show.

While I couldn't make it to Santa Margarita last year, I will be at Tulare show and I hope to be at the BOTW show this year too.

Thanks.

juiceman
04-01-2019, 05:13 PM
I was told by one of the polite co-chairs that there would be no dig area/playground due to several reasons:

A) Lack of interest from last year.

B) Lack of anticipated “dry” parking spots from repeated rainfall; back 40 a potential parking lot.

C) Dig area too “wet” this year.

Had I known there would be no digging or playing in the “Back 40”, I wouldn’t have spent the extra dollars for added liability insurance. What a waste of my $.

2018 was my first year for CAFES. What little participation we had seemed very enjoyable to the ones that ventured out to the playpen. My disappointment is having to let my friends that had kids that wanted to get dirty this year, won’t have that opportunity. My assessment of Tulare 2018 for ‘19 planning down the tubes.

I guess I can always stay at home and play!

I will prepare for the planned Southern border closures. Just an FYI, I only buy U.S. grown fruits and veggies MOST of the time. Here I am, getting ready to make my own Tequila too!

Deas Plant.
04-01-2019, 10:38 PM
Hi, Juiceman.
Your photo looks like you've ALREADY been sampling some tequila. You'd have a HELLUVA time keeping any brew in that tub. LOL.

Does this look any better?????????

Just my 0.02.

janmeermans
04-02-2019, 06:02 AM
I was told by one of the polite co-chairs that there would be no dig area/playground due to several reasons:

A) Lack of interest from last year.

B) Lack of anticipated “dry” parking spots from repeated rainfall; back 40 a potential parking lot.

C) Dig area too “wet” this year.

Had I known there would be no digging or playing in the “Back 40”, I wouldn’t have spent the extra dollars for added liability insurance. What a waste of my $.

2018 was my first year for CAFES. What little participation we had seemed very enjoyable to the ones that ventured out to the playpen. My disappointment is having to let my friends that had kids that wanted to get dirty this year, won’t have that opportunity. My assessment of Tulare 2018 for ‘19 planning down the tubes.

I guess I can always stay at home and play!

I will prepare for the planned Southern border closures. Just an FYI, I only buy U.S. grown fruits and veggies MOST of the time. Here I am, getting ready to make my own Tequila too!

Juiceman,

That is funny! Never saw the Mexicans harvesting with a D6! That aguave looks older than 7 years. You brew up that and it might knock you on yer arse big time! Too bad there is not enough time to age it in time for Sunday's BBQ!

JanM

jfirebaugh
04-03-2019, 09:46 PM
Thanks Juiceman for the info./reasons!

Unfortunately, I get the feeling we have been told by Tulare Officials that our dirt digging just doesn't fit in with their vision and likely never will again. It sounds like we were given about every reason why digging is isn't allowed, except for being the cause of Global Warming. :confused2:

I can also see from the latest posts here, that not only are we bummed out with the loss of Glen G. at the shows, but also with the added loss of digging at Tulare. This combination appears to be causing a severe drinking problem among us! Hey, I can at least supply the limes and salt! :party:

Just my 1 cent....

juiceman
04-04-2019, 12:36 AM
I think I’m going to do my own investigation regarding Tulare. Honestly I don’t know what the fuss is about having some enthused tractor fans playing in the dirt. Are they concerned about environmental issues, after party clean up, potential liabilities, event coverage ( insurance) or what? Did they get their toes stepped on by someone? Would they be more receptive if it were limited to farm implements? Maybe the show chair is biased and only likes red equipment? Looks like I might have a new project to work on for 2020?
If you folks are serious enough about reviving the dirt lot playpen, toss some ideas my way please. JM