PDA

View Full Version : New Cat dozer model designations.

Mangoman
03-27-2019, 11:05 PM
Howdy ya'll

Our local Cat customer support man informed me today of Cat's new model designations. Just my opinion but a D1? Serious? And there can only be old D2 tractors. That model cannot be revived for a new plastic fantastic whiz buzzer! Ah well. He also told me the new D7, formerly D7E conventional track, electric drive will now be high track and electric drive.

Nate dogg

ccjersey
03-28-2019, 09:34 AM
Hope that doesn't signal a complete break (lack of support) with the CAT legacy machines we are used to.

John Deere agricultural machinery has been reusing model numbers for a while now. Only occasionally the machines are both tractors, so not too hard to keep things separated.

jstandle
03-28-2019, 12:36 PM
Any idea why they started with D2 originally and not D1?

I always assumed they never used D2 again because they haven't since built a crawler (to my limited knowledge) that small. The D3 was smaller than the D4 but bigger than a D2.

They must have decided they will never build a D2 sized machine again so no need to keep it shelved for future designations and to just revamp the entire model ID system based on their current lineup from bottom to top.

Jordan

Neil
03-28-2019, 05:22 PM
There's a couple of Italian manufacturers that make smaller ag crawlers so that part of the market is covered - no need for Cat to get in there

ronm
03-29-2019, 07:48 AM
Hope that doesn't signal a complete break (lack of support) with the CAT legacy machines we are used to.

John Deere agricultural machinery has been reusing model numbers for a while now. Only occasionally the machines are both tractors, so not too hard to keep things separated.

The JD system has got completely bizarre, tacking on "R", "Premium", & God knows what else on the end of the model numbers...I'm not even sure the salesmen at the JD store understand it... :dizzy:
At least Cat is keeping it simple, or should I say dumbing it down?

FarmallMMark
03-29-2019, 03:45 PM
Any idea why they started with D2 originally and not D1?

I always assumed they never used D2 again because they haven't since built a crawler (to my limited knowledge) that small. The D3 was smaller than the D4 but bigger than a D2.

They must have decided they will never build a D2 sized machine again so no need to keep it shelved for future designations and to just revamp the entire model ID system based on their current lineup from bottom to top.

Jordan

The D2 is based off the older R2, which was based off the twenty-two

Gavin84w
04-03-2019, 07:06 AM
Cat have cocked this up bigtime, just getting stupid and dropping the letter from the model designation is just crazy, then all the buzz words, next generation, Fusion its just gone mad