PDA

View Full Version : How do you remove the spark plug wires from the magneto cap?

doggman
09-22-2019, 10:32 PM
I need to change out the spark plug wires on my D69U pony motor. But I canít figure out how get the wires out of the magneto cap. With the cap removed, on the inside of the cap, it looks like there are screw head slots next to the spring loaded carbon terminals in the cap. I gently tried to turn them but they didnít budge and I didnít want to risk cracking that old Bakelite cap. Whatís the secret combination to get the wires loose? Iím not sure what model mag is on the tractor but itís a big one. Thanks!

trainzkid88
09-22-2019, 11:23 PM
I need to change out the spark plug wires on my D69U pony motor. But I canít figure out how get the wires out of the magneto cap. With the cap removed, on the inside of the cap, it looks like there are screw head slots next to the spring loaded carbon terminals in the cap. I gently tried to turn them but they didnít budge and I didnít want to risk cracking that old Bakelite cap. Whatís the secret combination to get the wires loose? Iím not sure what model mag is on the tractor but itís a big one. Thanks!

its an american bosch or a eaismann similar internally to the mjk bosch as fitted to the d2/d4 series. the plug wire should just push in dont worry if the cable breaks as you can still get wire plug lead cable from most small engine shops i got mine from a motorcycle place. just save the ends if you can as they are hard to get.

doggman
09-23-2019, 07:02 PM
The wires seem really tight in the cap - to the point where they really donít pull out. I wonít be back in the area of the tractor until Friday but Iíll get more aggressive in trying to pull them out.

old-iron-habit
09-23-2019, 09:01 PM
The wires seem really tight in the cap - to the point where they really donít pull out. I wonít be back in the area of the tractor until Friday but Iíll get more aggressive in trying to pull them out.

You might try twisting them back and forth a twit with a wire plier to break the insulator free. They can get pretty tight after a few decades. But they do simply pull out.

Paso Bob
09-23-2019, 11:22 PM
Shoot some WD-40 in there first and get them to loosen up.

doggman
10-03-2019, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. It turns out that the wires were glued in with yellow Cat enamel. I finally broke them loose and extracted them with pliers and without cracking the cap. Whoíd athunk it? Now I have bigger fish to fry...

MARCOTEN
10-12-2019, 09:22 PM
For gv and gv 4 mags:
Pull out carbonbrushes and springs . Underneat you find small screws. Undo them a bit and you can pull wire out