PDA

View Full Version : Cat 12 9K9340

acprimus
11-11-2019, 05:14 PM
This is my new-to-me 12 9K I've taken ownership of. It isn't home yet, but should be by Thanksgiving. It is a military machine and has the broken tag on the floor of the cab. I'll mount it on a board and reattach it to the outside. A few pics:

They aren't in order. Whoops.

ccjersey
11-12-2019, 03:59 PM
Looks like a very complete and well taken care of machine......congtatulations!

Deas Plant.
11-12-2019, 08:45 PM
Hi, acprimus.
Good catch. It shouldn't have much trouble turning with all that extra weight on the front axle.

Just my 0.02.

acprimus
11-13-2019, 04:55 PM
Thanks guys, I think I'm gonna have a lot of fun learning to run a blade. There is a power steering pump on there so she turns easy at idle. Of course it's got a couple issues, one being oil in the coolant and the other being the wheel lean gear wore out and the front end was braced to keep it from keeling over. Both of those will be solved over the winter and in the spring it will head down to the club to play with the other old iron.

Neil
11-13-2019, 09:30 PM
A running grader? I'm in! : )

Deas Plant.
11-13-2019, 09:56 PM
Hi, acprimus.
This may help.

http://www.acmoc.org/bb/showthread.php?20409-Cat-12-Graders-Pre-G-series

Just my 0.02.

acprimus
11-23-2019, 06:17 PM
And it is "home" for the winter. It's on my family's property about 45 minutes away. Pinion wouldn't snap over so had to pull start it with the F350. Turntable spin lever also wants to whack my hand more than I remember-guess I'll have to replace that clutch.

Also...the truck that got it there had a 425 in it. Double Cats today.

Deas Plant.
11-23-2019, 09:50 PM
Hi, acprimus.
Unfortunately, the 'turntable spin' clutches, also known as the circle reverse clutches, are the only ones where you can't swap the driven gears to another position to gain unworn faces 'cos they are the ones with the bevel gears that contact the vertical power shaft. BUTTT, you can have them re-ground back to original specs if you have a 1/2-way decent engineering shop anywhere within 'shooting distance'.

That said, you can swap the actual sliding dog clutches with other less worn ones to improve that side of the system but it is always better to have the matching faces on the driven gears re-ground to gain the maximum benefit.

See the article in the link in my post above your last one.

Just my 0.02.

acprimus
11-24-2019, 08:01 PM
I did refer to that link, hence why I'll see if I can find new clutches for that. If not I'll have to buy some alcoholic beverages for one of my machinist friends and set them to work. All the other ones don't bite back yet so I should be safe for a while.

Deas Plant.
11-24-2019, 09:02 PM
Hi, acprimus.
I suspect that it is only the 2 main drive gears that you would need to either replace or get machined. The actual 'clutch', the part which the lever moves to engage one or the other drive gear and thus turn the shaft, can be swapped around with other clutches to present unworn or less worn faces to the drive gears.

Also, it can often be surprising what a difference 'spilling' a little old engine oil or similar on the circle and guides can make. That might be worth a try first - before you go tearing into the control box.

Just my 0.02.

acprimus
02-23-2020, 06:29 PM
Finally got out to do some work. Gave every fitting I could find a healthy dose of grease. Put on a missing lever (second one in) and replaced the one on the other end since it was missing the ball. Opened up the steering box to find out why it might be steering hard. Dry as a bone! Put some oil in it and found the seal on the rear side to be dried up and leaking like it wasn't even there. At least that should be an easy fix once I get the right O ring.