PDA

View Full Version : RD-8 engine missing

Jeremy Williams
11-29-2006, 01:13 PM
I have a 1936 RD-8 that runs good on 5 cylinders, but is missing on the number 4 cylinder when idling around. If I climb up a small hill or put a little load on the engine, then it will fire on all cylinders. When the engine is missing it puts out quite a little white smoke. I put a new piston and rings in the number 1 cylinder also if that make a difference. Does anyone know what the cause of missing is? I cracked the injector line loose at the pump and injector, and there was lots of fuel. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Jeremy

Old Magnet
11-29-2006, 01:40 PM
Hi Jeremy,
Sounds like you have an injector problem, either clogged or not atomizing properly. Best way to check this out would be to move the suspect injector to another cylinder, preferably a couple of jugs away from the current location and see if the problem tracks to the new location. Then you will know for sure.

Jeremy Williams
11-29-2006, 06:07 PM
Thanks Old Magnet. I will try that as soon as it warms up out here. Am I going to need to order the seals for the injectors? Thanks, Jeremy

SJ
01-24-2007, 09:12 AM
Was just looking over some old posts here & ran across this one of yours. If you haven,t solved the miss yet it also sounds like oil getting by the rings on that cyl.or the valve guides & when you put a load on it then it burns that excess oil & won,t miss. I,ve seen this happen with engines. Also as OM said it could be in an injector.

Jeremy Williams
01-24-2007, 05:44 PM
I haven't solved the miss yet. I have not been able to pull the injector out and check it because of other projects and the cool weather. I will check the injector and if it is OK I will get my girlfriend to help me pull the head off.:D Thanks for the help. I forgot about replying. Jeremy