PDA

View Full Version : RD5 injector pump

ErnieinTucson
05-16-2009, 12:51 PM
Hi all.
Looking for a parts book for a RD6 S/N 2H1455 injector pump.
Have it all apart has it was locked up, main, pony, and main.
Just finished a 22 with blade. Also have a 20 that came from Yuma,AZThis tractor had not been run in good many years. Got it started after we cleaned the carb. The tracks were frozen up, they are starting to come around.

Old Magnet
05-16-2009, 02:55 PM
They don't give you a whole lot of info on the injection pump in the parts book...just the one page:

ErnieinTucson
05-17-2009, 07:08 AM
Hi Old Magnet

Thanks for the reply.I found that one in my book also.
I took the pump apart some time ago and have not been able to figure out how the three small filters attach to the cover plate. There is a 1/4'' thread stud that is to short too casting point. Any thoughts would help.

Thanks Ernie

Old Magnet
05-17-2009, 09:58 AM
The cross section view of the filter housing in the parts book looks straight forward....do you have that diagram? All I can think of is maybe the filter element stack is to high...but that wouldn't explain how/if it was assembled to begin with:confused: :confused:

ErnieinTucson
05-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Thanks Old Magnet

Yes I do have the diagram, but it does not show the filters or how thay are installed.
The four bolt cap that holds the filters has female threads, but they are to far down to reach the filters.

Thanks Ernie

Old Magnet
05-17-2009, 06:50 PM
Sorry, I'm just not following what you describe....the filters mount to the cover....could it be the cover is upside down???

edb
05-17-2009, 08:23 PM
Hi Ernie and Team,
from the description on fuel filter servicing for the Diesel 35,40 etc and the RD machines this is the best pic I can get of the filter set up from my Cat General Instruction Book For Early Products.
It could be that the studs which hold the elements to the cover plate have seized into the thumb nuts over time and the thumb nuts are well down on the studs making them appear short. Naturally the studs should be screwed into the cover plate to stick out and retain the elements by the thumb nuts screwing on to the studs after the elements. Maybe some one has replaced the studs, after they rusted out, with short bolts or the like.
This is just my take on the dilemma.
Hope this rambling helps.
Cheers,
Eddie B.

OzDozer
05-17-2009, 09:15 PM
Ernie, OM, & Eddie - I don't know if this helps any, but here's a fairly clear cutaway diagram from a mid-1930's brochure.
The primary screens (elements) are a brass washer style, stacked on the stud, aren't they?
The cutaway diagram shows them being retained on the stud by a nut, and the thumbscrew is utilised to screw the entire, assembled screen into the cover plate.

Eddie, I'm not sure that the thumbscrew is a separate stud with the thumbscrew acting as a nut as well .. or if the entire stud and thumbscrew is one piece? Could it be possible there have been a couple of different designs of thumbscrew/stud arrangement?

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/1743/fuelfilterearly.jpg

edb
05-18-2009, 12:00 AM
Hi OZ,
well done, yes, that makes more sense than what I could find. I do not have anything clearer than what I posted. Also it is too long since I was inside my RD6 filters to recall how they were set up.
With every one's input we will "triumph over metal" for Ernie.
Pic is now in my Fuel Inj. folder, thank you.
Cheers,
Eddie B

Old Magnet
05-18-2009, 09:43 AM
Cat started out with the take apart filter elements but the 2H does not appear to have the nut that holds the stack together....I think they were a one piece.

Looked up the same filter on the 4G....it shows a stub of the stud coming through the thumb nut but no other useful info. Tough one to find info on.

ErnieinTucson
05-18-2009, 04:40 PM
Hi all, and thanks.

The picture that edb has is what I was looking.

THANKS TO ALL
Ernie