PDA

View Full Version : Who say's that they don't make a fast crawler!

chriscokid
06-02-2009, 01:52 PM
I found this pic and thought it was intresting. I knew that porsche made tractors but I did not know that lamborghini made crawlers.

Deas Plant.
06-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Hi, Chriscokid.
Yep, Lamborghini made crawlers and wheel tractors. I don't think the crawlers were particularly fast, just pretty normal crawlers but they even made at least one 'convertible' model. It had wheels that dropped down for road transport and lifted up for paddock work.

On FAST crawlers, there was at least one version of the IH TD14 that would travel at 10 mph in top gear and I understand that the English Vickers crawlers got along at about the same speed in the long cog. Even some versions of the IH TD24 had a 7.2 mph high reverse slot.

Renault also made crawlers way back when and I think they made wheel tractors too.

Tom Madden
06-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Deas:

The 2 1/2 Ton Holt Military we are putting together had a top speed of 15 MPH. I am not sure that they were able to keep the tracks on at that speed if they attempted to turn.

Tom

chriscokid
06-02-2009, 07:22 PM
what i meant on fast was a punn because it was a lamborghini crawler, not that the crawler traveled fast. But cat did make a high speed crawler for the military I think it was a d6 but i will have to check the info that i have on that machine and get back to you.

alwaysbusted
06-02-2009, 10:25 PM
Actuallly Deere has recently released their version of a High Sped Dozer (HSD).
With anticipated start of sales in the summer of 2009, the 764 High-Speed Dozer (HSD) is the first new machine form the construction industry has seen in decades. As a high-speed dozer, it will give operators the ability to do more in less time.

This innovative rubber-tracked dozer combines the speed of a grader with the flotation of a crawler dozer. As a result, operators can perform grading and moderate dozing at about double the speed of a similarly sized crawler. They'll also have the ability to travel 18 mph across a job site without damaging pavement. The 764 HSD weighs in at 32,000 lbs. and is powered by a Tier 3 John Deere PowerTech™ 6.8-L engine rated at 200 hp.

tanker
06-02-2009, 11:42 PM
[QUOTE=chriscokid;39442]. But cat did make a high speed crawler for the military

Don' member speed but the 9 engine / 8's were fast along w/ associated track wear- our tax money @ work..

chriscokid
06-03-2009, 05:22 AM
Cat called their machine a High speed D6/d7 heavy tractor M1, made from 1942-1943. Aprox. 453 were made.

AJ.
06-03-2009, 04:49 PM
Speed with comfort
AJ

OzDozer
06-03-2009, 11:08 PM
Had a chuckle the other night, chatting on the ACME chat room, when a local Catskinner quizzed about the value of Allis-Chalmers "DD" graders .. because he was interested in one.
I asked about what it had been re-powered with? - because 99% of the Model "D"'s or "DD"'s have been repowered with a different engine of some make or another (Perkins appears to be a favourite) .. and one of the Queensland Catskinners came up with the story .. and he swears it's true .. about a contractor in Brisbane who repowered his "DD" with a Jaguar engine, and a multi-speed transmission .. and was booked by traffic cops for doing 65mph on a local freeway with it!! .. :D
I can well imagine it's true, knowing some of the "characters" who have been contractors over the years. Some of the things they got up to, where the spaces were wide and open, and the law spread thinly, would make your toes curl .. :D

ianoz
06-04-2009, 12:52 AM
Guday OZ, the guy would have been game going by the braking performance of the Alis DD we had.ian.

OzDozer
06-04-2009, 04:35 AM
Ian - I don't think braking was even considered to be of any importance when ANY grader was built! .. :D .. Cat 12's aren't exactly noted for superb braking .. and I'd hazard a guess, half the Cat 12's running around, have faults of some kind in the brakes.
If it isn't leaking wheel cylinders .. it's usually frozen brake mechanisms, caused by brake fluid leaks, or corrosion from being bogged in wet soils .. :(

To most of these blokes, that did some wild re-powers .. improved braking wasn't a concern, as the "go" factor was the only thing uppermost in their minds.

One time, many moons ago, I was passed at serious speed, by a farmers 4 ton Austin truck .. and when I caught up with him (I knew him, and I was canvassing for work, so I was calling on farmers) .. I asked him what was the reason for the vastly improved performance, for what was normally, an open-road slug?
He grinned a wicked grin, and took me around to the truck .. and pointed out the monstrous 383 Chrysler Hemi V8, doing sterling duty as the replacement power plant .. :eek: .. and then also proceeded to tell me how he was regularly grossing 11 tonnes (24,200 lbs) over the weighbridge at the local grain bin .. and all this, on a truck rated for a 4 ton payload .. :eek: :rolleyes:

Fortunately for him, the haul distance from his farm to the grain bin was relatively short (probably 8-10kms at most, from his back paddocks) .. otherwise someone in authority might have had a closer inspection .. or the old Austin might have broken some major component .. :(
As we all well know, vastly increased regulation has seen these blokes activities seriously crimped, and perhaps it's a good thing in some ways.
However, many of these blokes were brilliant "backyard" engineers, and their engineering work would often have been a credit to anyone with a proper engineering degree.

chriscokid
06-04-2009, 06:45 AM
I know on my DD allis grader it has a buda engine and is very strong, the brake issue is about as good as the sharp turning radius the grader has....Not that good.