PDA

View Full Version : D2 sandblast and paint

Arthropod
08-05-2009, 05:31 AM
Yep, this is how we spend our vacation days.
1949 D2 with electric start pony. Will be adding a hyster winch.
Still need to make some repairs on the fenders, then paint them and finish painting the tracks. Just ran out of steam yesterday.

Arthropod
08-05-2009, 05:46 AM
Few more pics.

wendell f. stegner
08-05-2009, 03:42 PM
Nice clean job and she is going to look good when all done. :) Some times I don't like the idea of covering the metal shine after cleaning. If they would just stay clean and rust free I would leave one unpainted after blasting just for the fun of it. Good luck with her and best reguards. Is the rest of her just as good?

bruce oz
08-05-2009, 04:13 PM
hello Arthropod ,looking good ,keep pic coming :D ,its good to have a sand blaster ,beats wire wheels on a grinder ,bruce oz

Arthropod
08-06-2009, 04:35 AM
Thanks. I spent yesterday getting out some rung off fender bolts and taking apart the old rusted winch brake lever parts. Today I will test fit the fenders and do some straightening before they get painted. I also want to finish assembling the winch. That will hold me up getting on the fenders and seat.

The machine is in remarkably good condition. I had to clean 60 years of crud out of the breather, but the bottom of the bowl looked like new, no rust. I've had to replace some of the bottom rollers. The seat tank needs more work, but the tank is from a different machine. This machine originally had a side tank and some kind of boom, which had been removed. I am using fenders from another parts machine, but they are correct for this year machine. After painting the hood I saw some small dents I missed. At least I don't have to worry about getting that first dent.

I'll take some more pics when I test fit stuff today.

michael cremonini
08-06-2009, 09:25 AM
looks real nice, but arnt you worried of sand getting into seals and other places.. mike.

Arthropod
08-07-2009, 06:43 AM
Well, I packed all air intakes with rags, then duct tape over holes. Main breather totally disassembled and cleaned after blast, before paint. Removed the engine breather (near oil fill), packed that with paper towels. duct tape around dip sticks. Care was taken to stay away from the roller seals and such. Cardboard in front and back of radiator core. It looks like the outcome was good. But yes, there was some concern. I figure these machines are meant to run in really dusty bad conditions, so low chance of problems.

chriscokid
08-07-2009, 09:32 AM
Arthropod,

Which part of Va. are you located, i work in Va. all the time. I am loacted in central NC. just south of Greensboro.

Arthropod
08-12-2009, 09:44 AM
I am located about 20 miles West of Richmond, VA, between Charlottesville and Richmond.

ETD66SS
08-12-2009, 12:47 PM
My experience with sandblasting is rags & duct tape do not stop all the sand.

Those photos make me cringe.

Maybe I'm just paranoid...

side-seat
08-12-2009, 01:06 PM
I wonder if the radiator and oil cooler are any good now. Cardboard just don't cut it for a resist.

Arthropod
08-12-2009, 01:27 PM
You guys are paranoid. The radiator is fine. The cardboard was there as a safety measure. The nozzle was kept well away from anything that could be damaged. I drove it into the shop using the pony motor and all looks very good. I'd do the blasting again.

power stroke 99
08-12-2009, 02:58 PM
Looks real good. Nice job

Paul L.
08-12-2009, 07:31 PM
The gaskets get cut and you get a lot of leaks on your fresh paint job .

wendell f. stegner
08-13-2009, 04:30 PM
Hello Arthropod, I Know I'll stand on your side when it comes to sandblasting a unit. I am sure you took good care of her in the preperation. I would do just the same. That caterpillar is looking good. Look forward to more stories of her getting alltogether.:)

Gordon.
08-13-2009, 05:59 PM
Hi guys, we carry out alot of sand basting and one major thing we do is to remove as many painted parts as possible, this means less blasting around engines and transmissions. The other benifit of this is that alot more of a panel, bracket or hood gets to be painted. Overlap joints are the worst problem if you dont dissmantle. Rust is trapped and later the unpainted joints ooze out the cancerours rust. Regards Gordon.

15sp4250
08-16-2009, 09:01 AM
steve weve blasted countless machines using cardboard over the radiator and nothing bad happened. The time jay blasted the core on the 2U he said he was good enough to do it without cardboard and that didnt work out so well lol.

dardd2
08-16-2009, 10:08 AM
I have to agree with the previous post, I sandblast at work, we use 4 layers of duct tape and stay well away with the blast and there is still sand under everything when unmasked. with large weldments, we blast, clean with compressed air then shop vac and still find it when you spray paint.

Gordon.
08-16-2009, 10:29 AM
As i said previuosly, the more you dismantle the better coverage you get. Less trapped sand too. Rember it doesn't matter how well you blast the rust will come out from the panel and fixture joints and ruin an otherwise good job.
Gordon.

MARTYN WILLIAMS
08-16-2009, 05:09 PM
It is surprising how,even with masking up all the holes the grit gets in.I use chemical paint stripper for the top half of the machine and sandblast the running gear and all the removable tinwork only.
I am doing a D4 at the moment,its a lot quieter using paint stripper lol
Nice job on that machine.
Martyn

Gordon.
08-17-2009, 02:27 PM
Hi Martyn hope you are well. I take it you paint strip the engine, trans case and rear case. We have just done a lot of work on our latest accusition all the sand blasting has been done a half mile away from the tractor, do you think thats a safe distance Lol
Regards Gordon.

MARTYN WILLIAMS
08-18-2009, 05:50 AM
Yes,it took 2.5 ltrs to do the engine block and rad area.A funny thing happened yesterday.Went to Halfords for some etch primer,went up to the counter to pay,the guy asked me for ID.aked him was he having a laugh ?
He was dead serious,he said they have to do this to check that customers that buy spray paint are over 18 !! I am 51 !!.lol
I will be diong the side frames and removable bits with a blaster.
Martyn

Gordon.
08-18-2009, 05:55 AM
I must say at 48 i have more trouble convincing people that i am in fact younger. Lol. Cheers Martyn.

MARTYN WILLIAMS
08-18-2009, 06:13 AM
I will post some photos of the D4 progress on this site,but will have to resize them.Been posting photos on the CMN website as they don't need to be resized.
Got a week off so have been busy working on three projects,933, D4 and fitting a canopy to an Aveling Barford GA road roller.
Regards
Martyn

Gordon.
08-19-2009, 02:25 AM
Martyn, it's easy to resize if you use 'paint' and "save as" with a new file name, you then keep the original. Reduce by 66% 3 times.
I could post loads of pictures of all types of plant, transport, repair jobs and job sites but this board is limited really to Caterpillar, so most will be on ACME.
Regards Gordon.

MARTYN WILLIAMS
08-19-2009, 03:19 AM
Thanks Gordon
Will do that.
Martyn

Arthropod
08-19-2009, 07:29 AM
Another really nice tool to resize is 'irFanView'. It is a free program. Go to irfanview.com and you can do a free download. I have been using it for years and it works very well. You can go to the 'Image' menu, pick the option to 'resize/resample'. Choose your size (say 640x480). Then do a 'save as', give it a new name, pick JPG file type and the percentage of quality (typically 50-60% is fine for screen viewing). You can make the picture file sizes really small.