PDA

View Full Version : Some photos of New York Show taken Wednesday

gwhdiesel75
08-05-2009, 05:18 PM
These photos will include antique trucks, non-Cat crawlers, and other interesting things. Let us see if I can post them here for your viewing pleasure. The weather was coolish - probably under 80 degrees F, slight breeze, a lot of blue in the sky between clouds, and it was very comfortable out there.

gwhdiesel75
08-05-2009, 05:20 PM
I hope you enjoyed Dave Wintermute's Autocar diesel truck. Wish it were mine! Here are some more.

gwhdiesel75
08-05-2009, 05:22 PM
The Diesel Sixty-Five is from Jeff Huff's museum. A beautiful tractor and may I say also highly "collectible".

gwhdiesel75
08-05-2009, 05:25 PM
Let us see what else I have in my grab-bag of photos.

gwhdiesel75
08-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Well, that is not all there is, I hope!

gwhdiesel75
08-05-2009, 05:29 PM
That was a nice Holt 2-Ton. Now on to the rest of the show.

gwhdiesel75
08-05-2009, 05:30 PM
That TD-6 was a cuttie pie!

gwhdiesel75
08-05-2009, 05:34 PM
There was plenty of sunshine at the show today, but cool too. Watch out for sunburn, as it can happen right through the cloud cover. Especially the ears, unless you have a cowboy hat! (I left mine home.) Oh, I saw Fred Lowry (or Lowery?) from Salida, Colorado, today. 2 Chapter 9 Members at the New York Show! Hurray for us!

gwhdiesel75
08-05-2009, 05:37 PM
Jim Clack was handling sales at the ACMOC tent; Tricia Potts, our executive director, was running around the tent trying to fix things that went wrong. Me, oh, I just took a few photos. Not much help to anybody.

gwhdiesel75
08-05-2009, 05:42 PM
There is an interesting story to the Town of Phelps. Well, not really, but about some of my ancestors who lived in the Town of Phelps (actually, the village). I discovered this skelton in the closet a number of years ago when doing genealogy. It seems that my great, great grandmother committed homicide on her husband (my great, great grandfather) in the year 1860 in the village of Phelps. The authorities were called, and a corner's jury found that it was a justified homicide. It seems the old guy came home drunk, as he often did (he owned a beer brewry) and beat up his wife. She in turn hit him over the head very hard with a club, and he died a few hours later from his wound. Anyway, back to the show!

gwhdiesel75
08-05-2009, 05:45 PM
I have a weakness for Walters snow plows, but late 40s to mid-50s Oshkosh snow plows are definitely my favorite. This Walters had a "Frink" brand snow plow, that was manufactured in Upstate New York, somewhere. Thanks to Rennie Elliot for that piece of info.

gwhdiesel75
08-05-2009, 05:47 PM
OK, what else do I have in my computer???

gwhdiesel75
08-05-2009, 05:50 PM
I ran into Jim MacFadden (Sharon Springs, New York) today. He brought several beautifully-restored Cats. I didn't get photos of them before my camera's battery died, but I think that our official photographer, Clem Demmin, has got some beautiful shots. I think we may have an interesting article coming out of Jim about one or more of his machines.

gwhdiesel75
08-05-2009, 05:53 PM
I still own the Diesel Thirty-Five that I bought at one of Jim MacFadden's auctions. I did quite a bit of plowing with it last fall at Jim Zimmermans. That is, until the ground was so frozen the plow would not stay in the dirt. A nice tractor, by the way.

gwhdiesel75
08-05-2009, 05:56 PM
I also ran into Ron and Bonnie Meeder, Jeff Huff and his better half, Mr. and Mrs. James Clack, Mr. and Mrs. Dave Wintermute. Jim Clack, as usual, was selling club merchandise. A hard worker, that.

gwhdiesel75
08-05-2009, 05:59 PM
The fellow with his Twenty-Two above, is from Long Island, New York. He left home at 5 a.m. Wednesday morning to get his equipment to Canandaigua, New York. That was a long haul, and a long day for him and his family. I'm sorry that I forgot his name. That's what you have - an addle-brained secretary.

gwhdiesel75
08-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Well, let us see what else is in this computer. Without it, I'd not look so smart.

gwhdiesel75
08-05-2009, 06:03 PM
As you can see, there were already quite a few Cats at the show. More will be coming in tomorrow and Friday.

tw
08-05-2009, 06:04 PM
George, Oshkosh are my favorites also. Just ask the man that owns one-Me. Walters are good trucks also along with FWD.

Nice photos, keep them coming.

Terry

gwhdiesel75
08-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Ah yes. Now I recall. That Thirty did not have any of the brass tags, so I was looking around for a serial number. I took photos of two cast numbers, but I think they are probably casting numbers and have nothing to do with serial numbers. One of the numbers could be interpreted to be a date a casting was made (1930).

gwhdiesel75
08-05-2009, 06:10 PM
I am always impressed with Sixties. I now only have 1, and it is a diesel-conversion, that Jim Zimmerman rebuilt for me, and we had it painted. I used to have a Best Sixty and 2 gas Sixties. Wonderful tractors!

gwhdiesel75
08-05-2009, 06:12 PM
Notice the late model battery box in photos above. The edges at the top are rounded. I had the absolute devil's own to locate one for my D2 5U, production year 1957.

gwhdiesel75
08-05-2009, 06:15 PM
I hope you are being entertained by these photos. Not all Cat, but still interesting to many of you.

gwhdiesel75
08-05-2009, 06:18 PM
That was quite a trailer load from Maryland, which is a long ways away from Canandaigua, New York. Thanks to the owners for bringing them to us for our viewing pleasure!!!

gwhdiesel75
08-05-2009, 06:20 PM
Those scrapers made by LeTourneau remind me of pregnant guppies. But they worked! Even behind a Cat.

gwhdiesel75
08-05-2009, 06:22 PM
The grader looked a little on the rough side. I was unfamiliar with the manufacturer's name.

gwhdiesel75
08-05-2009, 06:25 PM
It is always fun to see the old steam traction engines pull plows across a field. Actually, they looked to be slower than a team of horses, but unlike horses, they don't get tired.

gwhdiesel75
08-05-2009, 06:29 PM
I chatted with one collector today who is from Lancaster, Pennsylvania, and obviously goes to Rough and Tumble. (It is next weekend I think he said. Not this weekend?) Anyway, he knows our friend Bill Glenn, the guy with the restored D2 and the little dashund. I haven't seen Bill post lately. Too bad. Anyway, the guy said that Bill's 19-year-old daughter recently purchased a steam shovel. You know, I think both of Bill's daughters took the steam course at Rough and Tumble and are certified to operate steam engines. One I understand is 17, the other 19. That sure puts me to shame!

Tom Madden
08-05-2009, 06:30 PM
George:

Thanks for posting all of the pictures for those of us who are not able to attend the show this year. I am hopeful that Portland, Indiana is in the cards for next year. I would love to get back and see Dan and all of the equipment that he will have at Portland in 2010.

George, I am glad to hear you say that you "previously owned a Best 60". That was the only tractor that I had gotten rid of that I later regretted. I am certainly glad that you let me have it back 2 years ago. Whenever I need a reliable tractor to take to a show at the last minute, that is the one I take. It is nice to have an original greasy tractor that does not need the cleaning that the painted tractors need. I hope that Best 60 1990 A stays in the barn for a long long time to come.

Have fun at the show and say hi to all of my collector friends for me.:cool:

Tom Madden

gwhdiesel75
08-05-2009, 06:31 PM
I hope you are not getting tired of my writing. Actually, the software will not upload the photos to the website unless you write a message, and if you repeat the message, it will deny you again. Horrors!!!

gwhdiesel75
08-05-2009, 06:33 PM
OK, now back to the Caterpillar equipment. 'Nuff of this "fluff"!

gwhdiesel75
08-05-2009, 06:35 PM
I am getting down toward the end. I only quit because my battery was exhausted, and I couldn't pinch any more electrons out of it to power my camera.

gwhdiesel75
08-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Yes, indeed, I like old trucks. The end.

Neil
08-05-2009, 08:06 PM
GW, I was there too snapping photos although you have a better set than me. I was intrigued by that Walter snowplough truck's drive - I noticed that it had hub reduction like a traction engine on both axles. I wonder how reliable the system was? I'll be back there tomorrow trying to track down parts....
Cheers,
Neil.

Jason 10/D4
08-05-2009, 08:36 PM
George they are my cats from maryland and my buddies truck he hauled them up for me and brought some of his too. You must have been taking pics as soon as we got here. Jason

daron
08-06-2009, 12:46 AM
Thank you very much for ALL the photos! And batteries seem to quit at the most inopportune times!

Daron

QuAD
08-06-2009, 01:39 AM
Thanks nice photos.

drujinin
08-06-2009, 06:08 AM
I had an event last weekend that I thought was this weekend. I had intended to tie the 2 together, then I could have taken my parents up there for a day! Of course schedules never align!
Awesome Photo's!!!
Jeff

Deas Plant.
08-06-2009, 07:14 AM
Hi, GWHdiesel75.
Good photos. Thanks for sharing. And now you may have some understanding of why I have a spare battery for each of my cameras and I keep them charged. 'Course, it doesn't help if you leave the spare battery in one vehicle while you go off in somebody else's vehicle to see some old iron - which I did when I went to see the Porter collection out of Watsonville. Ca., between Christmas and New Year. The battery that I did have 'karked it' about 2/3 of the way through the 4 LARGE sheds of old Cats. I still have the (self-administered) whip marks on my butt from that one.

Thanks again.

oldparker
08-06-2009, 08:27 AM
Hey George, Thanks for all the great photos. I was at the show but didn't get to meet you. Maybe Friday night? The Frink plow on the Walter Snow Fighter was made in Clayton New York, right in the beautiful Thousand Islands region. Out of business for a long tie now. Enjoy the show! John

timbo1946
08-06-2009, 09:54 AM
GWDiesel75

The HOLT 2ton on page 1, is my Dads. Us boys gave it to him 12 years ago and a retirement gift. He ran a D6D for 20 years (24000 hours he put on that machine). He's 82 now, has a little trouble getting around but wants to be there. The D2 was used on our farm, bought in 1968. Dad and I have gone through the tramission, final drives, stearing clutches / brakes, and both engines, over the last 5 years. Thanks for the nice comments on the 2 Ton, didn't look like that when we got it! I will be there Friday afternoon, and Sat am, would like to talk.
Tim

Catman
08-06-2009, 01:24 PM
Thanks George, I am going to try and copy the pics to my hard drive, to show snr CM, thanks again for the time and effort taken by yourself, did you get any pics of Jim Macfaddens Cats, I believe he might of been taking some machines to the show thanks Catman

WILSON
08-06-2009, 06:47 PM
rough and tumble is aug 12-15. will be there with my nelson loader -tl-10 and my bosses model d allischalmers grader fri and sat

Steve A
08-06-2009, 07:22 PM
George

Thanks for the Great pics, wish I was there, I will be at next years show with my 7c swamp cat.

I did go to a local show last weekend, I meet a guy with a Cat 60 with a snow package on it that he hooked to the weight transfer sled, He was right up there with the big steam engines as far as pull and he was babying it as not to break anything. Sorry to say no pictuers

kenj
08-06-2009, 09:44 PM
If anyone is coming out to Rough & Tumble, Ray Fleetwood (Erie Steam Shovel) and I were fencing off a large area tonight for a much larger play area this year. The steam crane that sat in the front corner of the fairgrounds is also up and running and has made most of the trip to the dirt pile. Hope to see you there.

The photos of the 2 guys with the Cat D4D on an old Lacrosse trailer pulled by a cab over Peterbuilt, the one is my dad and the other is our best bud.

Looks like everyone is having a great time.

Ken J.

gauntjoh
08-07-2009, 08:04 AM
Hi George, Thanks for posting so many pictures and commentry, I hope the weather is kind to y'all. I hope to come over to one of the shows in the next few years. I'd really have liked to attend last years at the Best ranch, but just wasn't possible for me.

chriscokid
08-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Ken J.

I thought that was Gary Risk and Simon Johnson in the picture.
I had a wonderful time meeting all of you at the spring warm up at kinzers
By the looks of things you had a big warm up pushing that mower around.
Maybe you guys can come to the carolinas soon and we will talk cats

Erik Christenbury

Deas Plant.
08-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Hi, GWHdiesel75.
That 'rough' grader back there on about page 3 is a Pettibone Mulliken. I didn't know they made graders. I am more familiar with that name on railway track-laying equipment, specialized 4wd mobile cranes for tie and rail handling, etc.. They also made at least one model of 4wd front end loader way back when.

Thanks again for sharing.

Neil
08-07-2009, 03:54 PM
I watched the guy with the Pettibone Mulliken grader running it yesterday - very smooth and tight. Herc Diesel ran nicely (I had been listening to a Cat grader with six cylinder (showing my ignorance) which sounded like it was running on 5 so the Herc sounded sweet in comparison).

Also saw the Cat D5 9M - what a hot rod!
Heading off to the banquet in a few minutes to listen to some tall stories : )

Cheers,
Neil.

Orchard22
08-07-2009, 05:20 PM
thanks for the photos and the chance to see them. photo taking is a hassle sometimes so i just wanted to say thanks:D

NYbw1
08-09-2009, 01:52 PM
please forgive terrible dial up problems

George, It was nice to meet you at the show
I was a little surprised that the tag on my D4 was of intrest.
We all had fun on the hill.
The rain held off until early Sunday morning.
Then the wheel tractors had problems loading the steamers.
That 12 1/2 ton one in the picture was enough to make my D4 really get down and grunt!

biggastractor
08-09-2009, 10:48 PM
George,

Nice to see you and all the ACMOC folks this week in NY. I just got home after a 900 mile drive. Thanks for posting all the pictures and congratulations to all the winners at the banquet on Friday evening.

Biggastractor