PDA

View Full Version : RD6 2H help

Cummins01
09-21-2009, 06:59 PM
I need some help. I recently gained possession of an RD6 S/N 2H4828W. It was previously owned by my grandpa, who had it kind of reconditioned. The Cat was in pretty tough shape when he bought it, lots of welding repairs. It hasn't run in 7 years, and it has always blown a small amount of raw fuel out the exhaust, but it ran fine. Well now 7 years later I want to get it running again. The pony motor is ready to fire. The only problem is that I drained 12 gallons of diesel out of the block, and even after it was all drained there was still a steady trickle of diesel flowing out of the plug for at least 45 to 60 minutes until i decided to put the plug back in. Never had that kinda problem before it was parked. Only thing I can think of is the fuel pump. Anybody have any idea? Am I just going to have to have the fuel pump rebuilt or what?

Old Magnet
09-21-2009, 07:36 PM
Most likely it is the 8B4967 seal (0-ring) between the filter tower and fuel injection pump housing. These tend to dry out and shrink allowing fuel to migrate to the main sump.

Yes it could also be the transfer pump seals leaking. That serial number was before the external tell-tale drain line was added to indicate whether or not the seals were leaking.