PDA

View Full Version : Uploading pics from computer

Warren
11-23-2006, 06:35 PM
OK JB I have run into a snag.

I tried to upload a 63kb 640x480 pic from my hard drive & it says I have have exceeded my quota. It says max file size is 97 kb. & no size restriction. I even tried a smaller size & no dice.

So either I am messed up or something is amiss. how about some guidance:confused:

Joe_Black
11-23-2006, 07:39 PM
I'll take a look at it, still some "fine tuning" to do. ;)

B4D2
11-23-2006, 09:13 PM
Hey Joe, will there be a limit to the amount of images a user can upload or will it be like ACME with a preset amount of space allowed?

Northart
11-24-2006, 12:27 AM
See if I can do One.

Hhmmnn, I can't make it work either.

Says I have exceeded my quota ??? I have not even posted a picture, so how can this be ???

Joe_Black
11-24-2006, 06:14 AM
Looks like I fumble-fingered the file-size limitation. :rolleyes:

For now there will be a total upload limitation, but once things settle down ACMOC will be reviewing the new forum layout and capabilities to better address the needs of the membership.

OzDozer
11-24-2006, 06:51 AM
O.K. .. let's see if we can upload a decent Cat pic .. :D

I think 640 x 480 is too small for good pics, though .. Joe and ACMOC, are you going to give us some bigger pic dimensions??? ..
After all, hardly anybody runs 13" screens anymore .. I've got a 17" screen, and that is regarded as a pretty average size, nowadays ..

Joe_Black
11-24-2006, 07:46 AM
I just picked 640X480 as an arbitrary size initially, but agree that 800X600 would be a better "default" size. The usual concern is the effect on folk with dial-up access, but that is pretty much moot with thumbnails.

I'll likely update soon, still getting "up to speed" on the new version of the forum software and am being somewhat conservative on many of the settings.

Kelly
11-24-2006, 10:32 AM
Had to resize this once. :rolleyes:

Kelly (ksb)

Oh boy it worked.

SpragueM
11-24-2006, 11:59 AM
Worked well for me yesterday. Loaded the same way as the acme board. But at that time the allowable size was half of today's. Will try some more later.

Matt:confused: :rolleyes:

dieseldave
11-24-2006, 01:31 PM
I'll give it a try, too

Al Letts
11-24-2006, 03:41 PM
Warren

Seems KOO was successful in uploading 64oX480 pixel count. Hmmn I'll have to try it out.

Al

Northart
11-25-2006, 12:23 AM
Hello JB,

Picture Posting is a vital function of the World Wide Cat BB .

I was hoping for an automatic Picture resize program in the upgrade.

Some people may want to focus in a particular aspect for their own interest, that's why picture quality is needed, and for future files.

Limiting total picture posting, and degraded pictures , is inhibiting, peoples knowledge, experiences, facts, contributions, etc.

Example; Pictures of actual Caterpillar Documents(Manuals), Actual Repairs in Progress , Finding Caterpillar Antiques, recovering and starting !

Lot of potential contributors may not be, computer savvy , therefore need the encouragement.

Picture resizing and acceptable size , seems to be a stumbling block .

Joe_Black
11-25-2006, 05:57 AM
Hello JB,

Picture Posting is a vital function of the World Wide Cat BB .

I was hoping for an automatic Picture resize program in the upgrade.

Some people may want to focus in a particular aspect for their own interest, that's why picture quality is needed, and for future files.

Limiting total picture posting, and degraded pictures , is inhibiting, peoples knowledge, experiences, facts, contributions, etc.

Example; Pictures of actual Caterpillar Documents(Manuals), Actual Repairs in Progress , Finding Caterpillar Antiques, recovering and starting !

Lot of potential contributors may not be, computer savvy , therefore need the encouragement.

Picture resizing and acceptable size , seems to be a stumbling block .
With this version of vBulletin we do have automatic picture resizing for photos linked to the forum (as in hosted elsewhere) but there are absolute size limitations for those uploaded to the forum as these reside on the database so do need to be managed with some degree of planning.

Trust that the powers that be at ACMOC and I will be working diligently to find the best balance to maintain a smoothly running forum with plenty of useful features for the membership.

Thanks for the input! ;)

Joe

SpragueM
11-25-2006, 05:58 AM
I do all my resizing in Paint. Most system's have it and it is fairly easy to use.

1.Open Paint.
2. Find your picture using FILE then OPEN in menu bar.
3.Select IMAGE.
4.Select ATTRIBUTES, this will tell you what your picture size is.
5.Select IMAGE again. STRETCH/ SKEW, use a percentage to manipulate your photo to acceptable size. Use equal amounts to keep image square.
6.Select IMAGE, ATTRIBUTES, check your results.
7.Select FILE, SAVE AS, rename file to preserve original.
8. Hopefully your ready to go.

Matt

RC..
11-25-2006, 02:34 PM
Lets try this http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/OzRinger/P4290004.jpg

SpragueM
11-25-2006, 05:29 PM
RC that's a couple a big ...........kitties.

dieseldave
11-25-2006, 05:59 PM
RC, How did you get that monster pic up there?

I think I'll have another go

dieseldave
11-25-2006, 06:06 PM
that worked, so I'll try again

Joe_Black
11-25-2006, 07:26 PM
Hmmmm... So much for the "auto-resize" feature. Back to the manual! :confused:

Old Magnet
11-25-2006, 07:43 PM
Looks like you can bing in any size photo you want from an outside photo service like photobucket or imageshack. It seems to be the direct load pictures that have the file restriction. At least the large pictures don't cause you to have to scroll the whole post like the old system.

Now if rc gets that avatar to photobucket, better duck and cover:D :D

OzDozer
11-25-2006, 08:54 PM
RC, How did you get that monster pic up there?

I think I'll have another goDieseldave - RC has posted his pic on an independent website .. www.Photobucket.com .. and linked it, using the code that views the pic full size .. most independent photo websites can be linked to this BB, but some only allow thumbnails to be linked.

The beauty of hosting your pics on another picture-hosting website, is that it saves bandwidth on this BB .. and if you link a large pic, as RC has done, it only spreads across the screen on that one posting .. it doesn't spread every posting in that thread.

I use www.Imageshack.us because it's reliable, simple, and easy to use. These picture-hosting sites are mostly based on Linux programs, thus making them very cheap to operate - we can post pics galore, without adding to Bill Gates already considerable stash .. :D

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/2594/tractors22x3sz7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Warren
11-26-2006, 04:11 AM
OK seems that JB fixed the problem so we try again.

OK that worked