Thread: D7 17A and 3T What is interchangeable?

Default D7 17A and 3T What is interchangeable?

I have a D7 17A hydraulic that I had a problem getting hot this summer come to find out the radiator was pluged and now is junk. I have the oppurnity to buy a 3T cable rig with a spun crank bearing. I have not seen the dozer, so I was wondering how many of the major parts would be interchangeable. I am pretty sure the 3T is a dry clutch, mine is wet, but not sure as far as the engine, finals and trans. My radiator had the cast removable tanks so I am hoping they will at least swap. Thanks and Merry Christmas

Steering clutches...steering clutch flanges and final drive pinion....reduction gear and bull gear if your 17A is below about ser.#12,000...sprocket....sprocket hub....final drive cover.....and maybe radiator if 3T ser# is high enough.... only a couple of transmission and rearend parts will work.....all the blade and CCU parts should interchange if 3T has CAT blade & CCU and is above about 3T-1500.
    Tracks, rollers and idlers even if they are the older style. Some other lesser parts.

The 3T would be worth having for parts if the price is right.

ETA: Brake drums.
    Last edited by Old 3T lover; 12-25-2010 at 02:08 PM.

My 17A is above 14000 on the serial. I believe the heads are good they should interchange even though it is not a turbo?

Default 17a

Nope, 3T engine is a D8800, 17A engine is a D339

No interchange on the radiators....3T has split core oil and engine...17A is full core radiator with separate water to oil heat exchanger.

Default D7

The d73t and d7 17a 14000 serie there are not much part interchangable.

Went and looked at the 3T today everyone was right, I cannot use it, there are alot of good parts if someone needs one it is south of Muskogee, OK. It spun a rod bearing and the heads are off, undercarriage is well used. Send me a message and I will get you in touch with the owner if anyone is interested. Thanks for all the info.