Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cat D2 Info

Default Cat D2 Info

I resently bought a cat d2 serial number 5u1310 can anyone tell me whatb year it is or where I can get parts to rebuild the pony motor?

Somerset West, near Cape Town South Africa

That would make it one of the earlier models: 1947 I'd guess
    Our 5U 3005 was a '48 model.

Carb kits for the pony can be had from the green dear tractor dealership: It's the same as what was used on the JD 730 Diesel starting engine.

Good luck with the acute attack of yello-ironitis!
    Somerset West, Cape Town
    South Africa

http://www.chriscomachinery.com/D2serial.htm

5U. 1948 5U667-5U2199

For parts just request what you need here on the BB and someone will likely have what you need.
    Jim Zimmerman in Orchard IA is also good place to start looking
    Erik Christenbury
    Cat List: More than some, less than others
    http://www.chriscomachinery.com/ACMOChapter12.htm

Lots of options on pony motors.......

Remove and convert to direct electric start-OM has a page with instructions about how to bore the bell housing for the starter and all the bits necessary for the conversion.

replace with good used-Any D2/D4/D3400/D4400/D311/D315 pony motor block from 1937-1957/58 approximately will interchange. There are differences in the manifolds and top cover etc, but the basic blocks are the same. D6/D4600/D318 6 cylinder diesel ponies are larger/different engine.

Overhaul-oversize pistons are still available from CAT dealer last time I heard, These are 0.060 oversize and can be turned to whatever size less than that you need.
    Lots of the ponies have been bored and sleeved back to standard to use standard pistons probably because of the tendency to flood the crankcase with gasoline and dilute the oil if the fuel tap is left on after starting the main engine. When the rod bearings fail, they frequently break out part of the lower cylinder.

Crankshaft bearings can be a problem. I believe several folks have made new from brass or aluminum bearing stock when the necessary undersize was not available. Since the main bearing journals are on the ends of the crankshaft, a couple of folks have installed a sleeve on the worn area and turned back to standard with good results

CAT would likely be a good place to start looking for the parts you may need, but I would not order before checking around, some of their prices are scary. Sometimes they are the only source, but not likely for most of what you may need.
    D2-5J's, D6-9U's, D318 and D333 power units, 12E-99E grader, 922B & 944A wheel loaders, D330C generator set, DW20 water tanker and a bunch of Jersey cows to take care of in my spare time

Default Serial Number Mistake

So I was looking at my machine and i read the serial number wrong it is a 5J not a 5U so the serial number is 5J1310 sorry for the mistake everyone.

The pony motor is seized up so i need to dive into that to that and see what the problem is. The main engine runs. we tow started it with a tractor. Here is a couple pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Could be as simple as a stuck valve. Or piston. But, usually is easy to get them running again. Simple little two cylinder gas motor. Don't go to electric start. Keep it stock. Will make the diesel engine last longer. It gets to warm up and get all its fluids moving before starting. When the pony is right it will start on the first pull even when the temp is 20 degF outside.The guys that go electric are just impatient and have to then deal with batteries. Just my opinion of course. It may be that I just like all the starting ceremony when you have a pony.
    1949 D2-5U w/D2N winch, 1950 D2-5U w/D2N winch, 1952 D2-5U w/ Cat blade, 1955 D2-5U w/ Cat Blade and D2N winch, 1937 RD4 wide gauge (currently non running), 1953 IH Farmall Super-A, Ford 9N, Case 580C, Hyster Sulky.

5J1310 is a 1939 according to the D2 tractor/owner listing over on ACME in the archived information section.

Do you have manuals? A parts book is really nice to have just to have a picture of what is there. You need one that covers the serial number range including your tractor. I expect it would be 5J1-5J3500 because the one I have is 5J3501-10561. The parts book covers the whole tractor and engine(s) as well as any CAT attachments that were available at the time (lighting systems, electric start, bumpers, PTO units etc). Blades and hydraulic units produced by CAT have their own books. Yours is too old to have had a CAT dozer from the factory. I wonder if it isn't a Bucyrus Erie. Any tags etc on it?

There are also..
    Operator's instructions-adjustments, maintenance, lubrication, basic operating instructions etc.

Serviceman's Reference book for tractor (doesn't include engines other than install and remove them or perhaps change water pump)

Serviceman's Reference book for D3400 engine and starting motor.

Lots of reprints out there, some not so good quality, but still useful. Might find an original on ebay or here or you can get a good quality reprint from CAT's legendary equipment literature site. Not cheap and not original size, but good quality.
    http://www.cat.com/cda/layout?m=90800&x=7
    D2-5J's, D6-9U's, D318 and D333 power units, 12E-99E grader, 922B & 944A wheel loaders, D330C generator set, DW20 water tanker and a bunch of Jersey cows to take care of in my spare time

The blade has a tag on it from Kay-Brunner Steel Products Inc. Los Angeles, Ca. the whole tractor is in great shape I have wanted an old Cat for a long time and this one kind of fell in my lap and I couldn't turn it down for the amount I got it for. I just got out of the Marines and I am going to school for Diesel Tech so this will be a good little home project to restore over time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

CCjersey:

Why go to the ACME site when we have a complete listing for every model on the ACMOC chapter 12 site.
    http://www.chriscomachinery.com/SerialNumberList.htm
    Erik Christenbury
    Cat List: More than some, less than others
    http://www.chriscomachinery.com/ACMOChapter12.htm

Quote Originally Posted by chriscokid View Post
    CCjersey:

Why go to the ACME site when we have a complete listing for every model on the ACMOC chapter 12 site.
    http://www.chriscomachinery.com/SerialNumberList.htm
    Because the ACME site is more user friendly and it appears you stole a lot of the info off their site.
    cat 941B, Cat D2 4U7412, Cat D3B, D4 7U30755